Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Put me in for 52 books again this year. Here's my Goodreads.
  • Re-reads and audiobooks don't count.
  • Short stories and individual comics don't count.
  • Novellas longer than 100 pages, graphic novels, comic omnibuses, and anthologies count.

No major goal this year, but here's some minor goals:
  • Read at least 5 non-fiction books related to behavior analysis, autism, and/or brain injury. My mom has been given a set of arrows. When I meet this goal, they will be given to me. If I don't meet this goal by midnight on December 31st, they will go to my step-dad. He is actively rooting against me.
  • Read at least 3 classics. I have purchased a DS game and have given it to my boyfriend. If I meet my goal, yadda yadda, otherwise the game you get the gist.
  • Read every Magic: the Gathering novel I have not yet read. If I meet this goal, I will be a sad, sad individual.
Can we get a consensus of how many books to count Worm as?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
End of January:

1. Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan.
No new material, pretty boring.
2. Dangerous Women
Any anthology is a mixed bag. Bombshells was by far the best short story. The SoIaF novella was okay.
3. Classic Feynman
Really, really good, especially the CD that came with it. It was better hearing Feynman tell the stories.
4. The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice
SO BORING. Oh, and werewolf sex. I supposed I should have expected it.

Picking up Going Clear.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Declan MacManus posted:

Well, having read interviews with Palahniuk, it seems like "rebel against the system" isn't the main idea behind the novel. If anything it's refuting the romanticism of an anarcho-Christ figure like Tyler as an adolescent fantasy. Not that Palahniuk's writing allows him much room for subtlety, mind you.

Yeah, I've always interpreted it as a satire mocking those people.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Xik posted:

The Books of Skyrim (download). A ~1200 page behemoth of short stories, religious texts, instruction manuals, poems, plays, songs, journals and notes from the Elder Scrolls Universe. Some of the short stories were really good, to the point they could be transplanted into their own volume to make the whole thing more accessible and readable to most fantasy readers.

Please review The Lusty Argonian Maid volumes 1 and 2 at your earliest convenience.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ulvir posted:

I thought the whole point of a reading challenge was to, you know, challenge yourself. There's nothing wrong with audiobooks in itself, but it seems odd in this context since it's hardly any challenging.

At least its a few steps up from reading nothing but donald duck and X-men to pad the numbers.

Perhaps the challenge is in consuming audiobooks rather than whatever is on the radio or the TV? I think its valid.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ToxicFrog posted:

48. Aluminum Sky: Journals of the Malatora Conflict, various authors

This is a collection of microfiction about Terra Malatora written and collected by goons. As expected, the quality is hugely variable, but with most of the stories only a few pages long, if that, it's all over too fast to leave much of an impression, good or bad, beyond "some people are really fixated on dragon dicks".

I'm so glad you posted this, I really enjoyed reading Golden Waters/Fatlantis and Game of Bones last year. Are there any other goonthologies floating around?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Sorry I didn't update, well, ever.

1. Dad is Fat - Awful and unfunny. Why did I read this?
2. The Wolf Gift - There was not a single moment in which the main character was not rich, surrounded by friends, correct about everything, and had a line of people hankering for wolfman cock. No good.
3. Classic Feynman: All the Adventures of a Curious Character - Hilarious!
4. Dangerous Women - Best short was Bombshells by Butcher. The rest, including the SoIaF short, were really forgettable.
5. Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief - This was really creepy and I couldn't put it down. I don't know how half the stuff in here is legal, or the stuff that is illegal, how they get away with it.
6. Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other Essays - Militant internet atheists write their barely edited treatises on the Bible. Its just as good as it sounds.
7. Why is the Penis Shaped Like That? and Other Reflections on Being Human - I feel like this was outshone by Sex at Dawn. Little too much :biotruths: and outdated information.
8. Why Evolution Is True - Interesting bits I hadn't known about biology before, worth a look.
9. The Knife of Never Letting Go - YA dystopia novel. Written at a much lower reading level than Hunger Games but compelling.
10. God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything - Hitchens is not as smart as he thinks he is. Drivel.
11. The Ask and the Answer - Felt like it was ripping off Hunger Games with its terrorism/counter-terrorism, propoganda, brainwashing plots.
12. Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us - Absolutely fascinating.
13. Divergent - I read this trilogy because I promised my sister I'd read it with her.
14. Insurgent -
15. Allegiant - I haven't forgiven her for that
16. Monsters of Men - Last book of the trilogy for Knife of Never Letting Go. Went completely off the rails with aliens and superbombs and more terrorism and telepathy
17. The Willpower Instinct - Solid science, although more mentalistic than it needed to be.
18. The Maze Runner - Creepy, fast-paced.
19. The Power of Habit - A bit repetitive with its examples, hammers home points well after they've been made.
20. Cat Sense - Really good, if you like cats.
21. The Magic of Reality - Boring
22. Heir to the Empire - Felt like I had to read this since it pissed off so many people when it was made non-canonical.
23. The Year of Living Biblically - Hilarious, but still managed to be vaguely respectful.
24. Dark Force Rising - Meh
25. The Character of Cats - Meh
26. The Walking Dead, Vol. 20: All Out War Part 1 - I feel like the series is just spinning its wheels at this point.
27. The Last Command
28. Skin Game - Pulpy, but excellent. I can't believe how far the series and the author have come in characterization, pacing, action, subplots...
29. Food Rules: An Eater's Manual - Food Babe-esque nonsense and fearmongering.
30. 50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology - I liked this book mainly because it felt like I could nod along with the author the whole time.
31. Shattered - It really wants to be Dresden Files, but it isn't.
32. Why People Believe Weird Things
33. The Science of Consequences: How They Affect Genes, Change the Brain, and Impact Our World - One of the best books I read all year. Ties together fields of psychology, biology, neurology, and behavior analysis in a nice little bow. Towards ABA goal.
34. Aluminum Sky: Journals of the Malatora Project
35. Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body
36. The World Without Us - Dry, but interesting. I think I may like the TV series a little better.
37. Life Ascending: The Ten Great Inventions of Evolution - This and Inner Fish taught me a lot about biology, fun reads.
38. Ready Player One - Highly over-rated. It was Family Guy for nerds.
39. Horns - Absolutely loved it. It had some issues with tone but was a quick, creepy, poignant book. The movie did NOT do it justice.
40. A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent - Distressingly little dragons in this.
41. The Walking Dead, Vol. 21: All Out War Part 2 - Still spinning wheels.
42. Good and Cheap: A Snap Cookbook
43. The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design
44. Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Ghoul Goblin
45. Magic Breaks - The heroine has gotten less and less independent and active in the past few books in the series, and I'm worried she is going to be neutered. The big showdown was anti-climatic and I hope it is just setup for the next book.
46. Debt: The First 5,000 Years - Way too dry and slow.
47. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change - I think I missed the boat when this actually would have made an impact on me. I just rolled my eyes at this.
48. The Magician's Land - Better than book 2 but I don't know if it was as good as The Magicians. Main character was the most likeable and proactive in this book, though.
49. Prince of Thorns - I hate the main character and the series is super dark and edgy just for the sake of being dark and edgy, but I enjoy the setting and secondary characters a lot.
50. The Darwin Elevator
51. The Language of Food - Surprisingly fun read, there's a method to the madness of menus.
52. The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - Working in TBI and dementia I see this stuff a lot. Author does a great job of evoking realistic issues with gravity. However, he also comes off as a completely unethical clinician.
53. Gambling: Behavior Theory, Research, and Application - I really liked it but I don't think anyone here would. For my TBI/ASD goal
54. Rogues
55. King of Thorns - Now all the people I like are dead so I guess I don't need to keep reading this series.
56. Warm Bodies - Meh
57. The Slow Regard of Silent Things - I'm not one of those people that HATE the story. I'm just one that didn't like it. Its the still life painting of literature, and I don't particularly think a vase and an orange are interesting to read about.
58. Mr. Mercedes - This should have been called Old People Don't Like Computers. Probably one of the best endings King's written. Drags in the middle, wraps up nicely, but there's a lot of cliches in it.
59. Day by Day Armageddon - A hypercompetent survivalist navy pilot is prepared for everything, understands everything, can do everything, and refers to women as 'females.' Females have no dialogue and are incapable of contributing to the story in any way. This is not a book, it is a goon's zompocalypse fantasy.
60. Safe by Accident? - ABA goal
61. Teaching Language to Children with Autism - For my ASD/TBI book goal, good resource for students
62. The Verbal Behavior Approach - For my ASD-TBI goal. I knew all the information in here and then some, but would probably be good book for parents.

Currently Reading:
Worm - Halfway through and can't put it down.
The Marshmallow Test - Just started it, Worm kind of got in the way.

I didn't hit the classics---in all honesty I forgot about that halfway through the year---but I nailed the work-related books. I'm pleased with the amount of non-fiction I read overall compared to last year, although looking back I had a real atheist bent when I was shooting for evolutionary biology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

19. The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver Sacks - wonderfully empathetic look at various cases of mentally ill patients.

I actually thought he was kind of a prick, asking distraught families if they thought their loved one 'still had a soul' and deliberately provoking/upsetting clients just because, since he was sure they wouldn't remember it.

• Locked thread