Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Going for 60, I... Sort of hit my goal last year? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Huck Finn - Mark Twain - This was a great way to start the year, although the end was kinda strange. I didn't read the Ton Sawyer book yet, but I probably will eventually.

Battle Magic - Tamora Pierce - She's written better. Nice to see Briar and Rosethorn again, but it didn't seem like there was anything new in here that hadn't already been said in Will of the Empress.

Last Light - Alex Scarrow - People kept recommending this, but honestly, all the "villains" were teenagers and there was a strong undercurrent of "I wish I'd listened to Husband, who is now a REAL man, about how the world is going to end, he was RIGHT" Swap the word "husband" with "author" at will.

The World According to Garp - John Irving - I liked this. A lot. It gave me a weird feeling to be reading something so far outside my normal genres, but I really enjoyed it. It also made me realise that I need to get back into writing again.

Fool Moon - Jim Butcher - Werewolves!

The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula Le Guin - It was ok, some interesting ideas about a genderless society, but I didn't really enjoy it.

Grave Peril - Jim Butcher - Ghosts/Vampires! Pacing is starting to improve!

Kings Property - Morgan Howell - Oh man, where do I even start. In retrospect, I'm downgrading it to 2-stars. Was my favourite part the bit where her best friend dies in childbirth, or the part where the Villain puts a rock in the babys blanket and throws it in the river, never to be mentioned or referenced again. Or maybe the... No. There's too many to list. It's a bad book, don't bother.

Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood - I don't know what I was expecting, but I don't think it was that. Ok, not fantastic, but not bad.

Hothouse - Brian Aldiss - For such a good idea, this was a terrible book.

Red Seas under Red Skies and Republic of Thieves - Scott Lynch. Read these one after the other apparently. They're not bad books, but I think once he finishes them and starts to write something else his writing will improve. They're also annoyingly episodic.

Total: 12/60 - A bit ahead but I tend to read in bursts.

• Locked thread