Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ridiculous dinosaur
Jul 15, 2010

but seriously, guys. dinosaurs.
I am going for 36 books this year. This is my Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/8411056-brittny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ridiculous dinosaur
Jul 15, 2010

but seriously, guys. dinosaurs.

ridiculous dinosaur posted:

I am going for 36 books this year. This is my Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/8411056-brittny

I finally graduated last month so I actually get to read for fun again. I am also in a time of mini-employment so I have an incredible amount of time to read. I'm going to preface the extensive amount of young adult literature you are going to find on my list with the fact that I'm an English teacher and it is for the kids (but also I really just like the stuff).

So far I have 3 down:

1. The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros .

I semi-stole this during student teaching because the freshman honors class will be reading this for their summer novel. Last year they read Matched by Allie Condie (it is on my list to read). I wasn't incredibly impressed by Mango. To be more specific, I wasn't too impressed by Mango for a freshman honors book. I feel it would be better suited and engaging for the lower level classes (it is a 6-8th grade reading level, after all). But, this high school only reserved boring white people literature to the lower level classes. I think it was some sort of ploy to "whiten" the 98% African American school.

2. Multiplication Is for White People": Raising Expectations for Other People's Children by Lisa Delpit I also apologize for the massive amount of boring educational books that will be on my list. This books basically says what other books like Trouble with Black Boys and kind of what Framework for Understanding Poverty will tell you about teaching students of minority, but through a different lens. Lisa writes well and brings some interesting arguments-- my favorite of which was how she broke down Payne's "culture of poverty" argument. She writes that culture would never hurt a race: culture enhances race. So, therefore, we aren't seeing the results of a poverty culture, but a response to life-long oppression. It was kind of mind blowing at the time. The last 50 pages were like mud to get through, though. I think after reading the same educational material you are kind of screaming I GET IT ALREADY at the end. Good stuff. Would recommend.

3. Fun Home by Alison Bechdel My friend gave me this after I gave this long, passionate rant about how Blankets by Craig Thompson was one of the best drat things I've ever read. Fun Home is like Blankets but a little gayer. I say this lovingly, because Fun Home was exceptional and beautiful. I felt it was one of those books you don't read, but experience. Fun Home was a great experience. Would do again. A+

I'm almost nearly finished with Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? . I've been listening to it on audio book during my commute to/from work (which is the most boring 45 min you will ever experience). It is a slightly more awkward, but less funny Bossypants. There are times, similar to watching The Office, where it gets so embarrassingly awkward that I have to pause my Ipod and brace myself for the terrible consequences that are about to unfold. This is the reason why I probably haven't finished it yet.

• Locked thread