Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Well I missed my goal last year, but I think that was partly burn out. Oh well. I am going to start at 75 for this year and adjust as necessary!

My GoodReads profile: https://www.goodreads.com/StrongMouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Fremry posted:

Here's my next question. I'm in the middle of a book. Does it count for this year if I started it 2013, but finished it in 2014?

From everything I have seen, and from what I do, it is your goal. You decide what counts and what doesn't. I am personally going to have the book I am finishing up that I started last year count, because I am going by when I finish.

Good luck with your goal!

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
1. Worm wildbow (J. McCrae) - This was an extremely good book/serial. I started reading it last November because somebody posted about it in the Dresden Files thread, and I got sucked into it. This story is one of the main reasons that I didn't finish my challenge last year, as I spent an entire month doing nothing but reading this. I then took a bread during the last part and didn't get it finished until the first of the year, so I am counting it for this year. If you haven't read, even if you don't generally care for super-hero stories, you should try it. The beginning starts off fairly weak, but when it picks up, it really gets good.

2. The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice) John Flanagan - A decent book that I didn't love, but there really wasn't anything that I didn't like about it either. I am probably going to read more of the series later, and it helps that the books are fairly short so I can get them done in a few hours of nothing going on.

3. Libriomancer (Magic Ex Libris) Jim C Hines - A series with an interesting magic system and an interesting world. This book generally amazing, except when it comes to dealing with the love interest. At that point, the story gets awkward and hard to read. Thankfully, those sections don't last all that long, and the plot makes up for it.

4. The Magicians Lev Grossman - I knew nothing about this book coming into it. I read the synopsis/back of book thing (I don't remember what it's called) and it sounded mildly interesting. This book was like watching a trainwreck. A deppressing stupid trainwreck where the stupid main character can't stop angsting about his life even though he usually ends up getting what he wants. I really don't like this book whatsoever, I personally don't think it should be read... and yet I think I am going to read the next book in the series just to see how much worse the author can make the main characters life

5. Blood Song (Raven's Shadow) Anthony Ryan - I really, really, really liked this book. This has been the best fantasy book that I have read in a good while. The characters are interesting. The plot is interesting. The framing story is interestin. There were a few time that I had to try and remember who a character was when they showed up after being gone for a while, but I generally always have that problem. I went from a 1-star book (The Magicians) to a 5-star book, and I couldn't be happier. I really don't want to have to wait 6 months for the next book in the series to come out. Can't they release it earlier?

6. After the Golden Age Carrie Vaughn - Another superhero story. While I don't think that it can really compare to either Steelheart or Worm, I still find that it is a very good story. I definitely plan on reading the next book when it comes out later this year (I seem to be saying that a lot!).

7. The Rise of Renegade X Chelsea M. Campbell - Superhero story. The main character is quite witty, and the book is amusing throughout. There's really not that much more to say about it.

8. Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy) Robin Hobb - I really enjoyed this book. The author makes an interesting world, and has an interesting coming of age plot that makes for a great read. I pretty much read this straight through, and then immediatly started on the next on, which brings me to...

9. Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy) Robin Hobb - While I like the events in the first book better, I find that I like this one a lot more. It feels like it has something that the first one didn't, and that made the entire story much better. I can't wait to see what happens in the next book, seeing as how this one finished. Even at the end, I had no idea what was going to happen. You should read this series, it is good.

I have read 9 of my challenge of 75 books.

My goodreads profile in case you want to see my reveiws of the books I have read. Some reviews are longer than what I have here, some are shorter. It really depends on the mood I am in when I right each thing respectively.

I am currently reading a few books:
Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy) I wish I could finish this before the end of the month, but it is quite a bit longer than the other 2, so I will probably get it done early next month.
Gardens of the Moon (MBotF) I have started for the 3rd or 4th time, and it looks like I will be finishing it soon.
Codex Born (Magic Ex Libris) I have started, but got distracted by slightly more interesting books (I still can't stand the female main character).
Promise of Blood (Powder Mage) I started, but then I ran into the Farseer books and have been finishing up the month with them. I will get back to this one qute soon, I think.

Yeah, I get distracted fairly easily by other books, so I tend to have a few sitting on the back-burner for a time. If I listed all of the books that I have started but not finished because of that, I may run out of characters to use in a post.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Strong Mouse posted:

1. Worm wildbow (J McCrae)
2. The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice) John Flanagan
3. Libriomancer (Magic Ex Libris) Jim C Hines
4. The Magicians Lev Grossman
5. Blood Song (Raven's Shadow) Anthony Ryan
6. After the Golden Age Carrie Vaughn
7. The Rise of Renegade X Chelsea M. Campbell
8. Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy) Robin Hobb
9. Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy) Robin Hobb

So, sadly, I only read two books during February. Both of them were books I started around of October of last year, and I just stopped then, but I finished them!

10. Choosers of the Slain John Ringo - I really don't know why I read these. It's like a trainwreck, but... I don't know. The parts that didn't make me want to stop reading were quite enjoyable, but there were quite a few of the other parts. I started the next one, but I have no idea when I'll get around to finishing it.

11. Red Seas Under Red Skies Scott Lynch - I originally stopped this book almost exactly in the middle because I didn't want to see more of them captaining a ship after the person who was supposed to tell them what to do up and died, but from that point, the book became really good. This is a great series, and I really should read the next one.

I have read 11 of my challenge of 75 books.

My goodreads profile in case you want to see my reveiws of the books I have read. Some reviews are longer than what I have here, some are shorter. It really depends on the mood I am in when I write each thing respectively.

I'm not sure why I didn't feel like reading too much last month. I thought about re-reading Way of Kings for the third time before I get Words of Radiance on Tuesday, but I just didn't feel it. Hopefully I'll catch up on some reading this month.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Strong Mouse posted:

10. Choosers of the Slain John Ringo
11. Red Seas Under Red Skies Scott Lynch

Yeah... 1 book read during March... My Challenge is going great. Between doing homework and finding it hard to get interested in books, I am having trouble. I don't expect this to last overly long, as I have Spring break coming up, and no real plans.

I have read 12 of my challenge of 75 books.

12. Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman Richard P. Feynman - This months Awful Book of the Month. I had been wanting to read it for a while, so when I saw it was the book of the month I jumped in and read it. I kind of found it mediocre. He did all these interesting things, and he met all these great people, but in the end the book felt it was lacking something to tie it together. I am glad that I read it since I generally stay away from biographies, but I probably won't ever re-read it. If you usually don't like biographies, you should give this a read though, as it really isn't bad.

My goodreads profile in case you want to see my reveiws of the books I have read. Some reviews are longer than what I have here, some are shorter. It really depends on the mood I am in when I write each thing respectively.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Strong Mouse posted:

12. Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! Richard P. Feynman

I have read 16 of my challenge of 75 books. (8 books behind schedule according to Goodreads)

My goodreads profile in case you want to see my reveiws of the books I have read. Some reviews are longer than what I have here, some are shorter. It really depends on the mood I am in when I right each thing respectively.

13. The Martian Andy Weir - I really liked this book. It is pretty much an apocalyptic log from somebody who accidentaly got stranded on Mars and what he is trying to do to live long enough to possibly be rescued. I suggest you go read this, as it really is interesting to see what luck, ingenuity, and balls can do for you.

14. His Majesty's Dragon Naomi Novik - A great book that I first heard about when my friend was reading it in highschool. I never got around to reading it then, but I am glad that I finally have. This is a wonderful bit of alt-history/fantasy where dragons are real and countries around the world have domesticated and bred them to be able to used for war. This book takes place during the Napoleonic Wars when a Navy ship captain ends up being imprinted on(?) by a dragon and has to change his life and become an aviator. Trials, tribulations, dragons, and wise-cracking happen, and this is a good book. I have started the second one, but it isn't quite as good so far, so who knows when I'll finish it.

15. Cofessions of a D-List Supervillian Jim Bernheimer - A fun, short (~150 pages) book about a supervillian (Named MechaniCAL - 1 guess what his first name is) who ends up working with heroes to save the world. It's a lot deeper than that, but anything else just gives stuff up. I started reading while eating dinner and was done by 10:30 with a few breaks in the middle. I hope Mr. Bernheimer writes a few more stories in this world, because he hints at a lot of stuff throughout.

16. The False Prince Jennifer A. Nielsen - Another good book that didn't take too long to read. I don't really know why I am having trouble reading long books right now but :shrug:. I liked the main character, though most of the rest of the characters didn't get too much in the way of development. The plot was good and there were some good twists. I always say I am planning to read the next book in a series soon, I and I do, it just doesn't always happen quickly...

So it seems I am having trouble finishing books if they take longer than 2 or 3 sittings, which leads to me having a lot of books only partly finished. I also had a few days where I couldn't do any reading what so ever because I procrastinated on my calculus homework and had to do all of it in a very short time.

I have a few books that have my interest right now, and I am going to really try finishing them before I start summer break later this month, so I have a good start on my summer reading (which tends to be some of my lowest output reading of the year, but with how this year is already going, it may become my highest output...) and catch up to my goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

quote:

12. Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! Richard P. Feynman
13. The Martian Andy Weir
14. His Majesty's Dragon Naomi Novik
15. Confessions of a D-List Supervillian Jim Bernheimer
16. The False Prince Jennifer A. Nielsen
17. Skin Game (Dresden Files) Jim Butcher
18. The Sword-Edged Blonde Alex Bledsoe
19. The Blade Itself (The First Law) Joe Abercrombie
20. Pillar to the Sky William R. Forstchen
21. A Fistful of Sky Nina Kiriki Hoffman
22. Jhereg (Vlad Taltos) Steven Brust
23. Yendi (Vlad Taltos) Steven Brust
24. Taltos (Vlad Taltos) Steven Brust
25. Teckla (Vlad Taltos) Steven Brust
26. Blood Song Anthony Ryan - Twice this year.

26 of 75 Completed

I only ended up getting a third of what I wanted to this year. I started out really well, then I just couldn't finish any books for a long time. I have probably started reading about 30 books this year that I stopped reading in the middle. I am probably going to try staying with shorter books next year that I can finish in one or two sittings.

Books I haven't talked about here:
Jhereg, Yendi, Taltos, and Teckla Steven Brust - The first four books in the Vlad Taltos series. These books are all really good. They're short enough to finish in a couple sittings, and each one can pretty much stand on its own. The books are not written in chronological order, so you can see some call-backs as well as him setting up things in books that have happened in the future. This series is also really good at switching genre. Each book is different from the previous.

• Locked thread