Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trek Junkie
Jun 29, 2012

Commander Riker, or Jesus? ... Semantics.
I recently received prescription glasses (Nov. 2013). :dance: Before then, I went 6 months without reading anything, because reading had become physically painful for me. I cannot remember the last time I went that long without cracking open a book. Now, I am looking to hit the big 65 books/comics/graphic novels before the end of 2014.

Add me on Goodreads here.

My list so far:
1. Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh (Great compilation of some of her best material, and some that was never published online - the story of moving with her dogs is my favorite of this collection.)
2. Life of Pi by Yann Martel (My head was reeling after reading the ending. I just have to say that, despite not being surprised, I was completely unprepared to face that ending.)
3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home by Georges Jeanty (This medium of storytelling for Buffy lends itself to more interesting story arcs, but the first in the series was a bit of a bumpy ride.)
4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You by Brian K. Vaughan (Distinct from the first, the storytelling seems to relax into its new style here. Also, hello useful, badass, one-eyed Xander!)
5. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate by Drew Goddard (I love a good cliffhanger.)
6. Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle #1) by Neal Stephenson (Typically, I enjoy a Neal Stephenson novel once in awhile. This novel was almost unbearable for me to finish. I couldn't believe that I made it to the end - the end of forever is an awfully long journey. I bought this series from a thrift shop ages ago. The question I have in front of myself is - do I bear down and take in the next two or count my losses and move on with my life? At this point, only time will tell.)
7. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (Unlike Stephenson, Gaiman has yet to disappoint me. The Ocean at the End of the Lane was no exception. Moving, sweet and menacing - I will read this again.)
8. The Doll by J.C. Martin (Martin offers nothing special to the horror genre here - I would have been better off reading a King novel. At least his characters are more interesting.)
9. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (Although it was well-written, the story itself was not effective at grabbing my attention. However, there are so many Oliver Twist references in modern popular culture to warrant a read-through. I would call this an educational adventure....)
10. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells (This was my second read-through (does that count?), and still, I love the imagining of human civilization splitting into two radically opposing societies. Wells' subtext is not sophisticated, but I found that delightful for a short story.)
11. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Time of Your Life by Joss Whedon (This is a nice throwback to some earlier episodes of Buffy. I find it interesting that Whedon brings a character in from his first graphic novel, Fray. Well played, Joss.)
12. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Predators and Prey by Jane Epsenson (This is one of the funniest in the series so far - fans of the show would appreciate Harmony's influence on society as a "vampire star". Every time a Buffy fan asks me about the comics, this is the spoiler I almost die to keep to myself, because it is so well done. Hilarious.)
13. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Retreat by Jane Epsenson (By far, this one had me sitting on the edge of my seat. Again, nice throwbacks to earlier episodes of the TV series.)

I am significantly behind according to Goodreads for hitting my goals by the end of the year. Yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trek Junkie
Jun 29, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Oh yeah, and--

17. The Name Of The Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

This book stunk. It had some high points, but it was mostly padding and self-congratulating courtesy of the most obnoxious protagonists I've read about in a long time. Holy crap is Kvothe or Quothe or whatever the gently caress his name insufferable. I'm so upset at my friends for recommending this to me. I was so upset to find out that this book was basically an extended prologue and that most of the stuff mentioned in the book's jacket don't actually occur.

I have been recommended this book as well. However, I have been warned that the main character is insufferable and the entire novel is actually junk. The motivation to read this is to see how absurd acquaintance of mine is for identifying with the main character (his name is Quothe? Really? Ugh.) and boasts about it. The arrogance is palpable. With that in mind, I feel compelled to read it.

Trek Junkie
Jun 29, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Kvothe. SO, worse than that, actually. It's PRONOUNCED Quothe. Which is not helpful. Rothfuss is an OK writer, who shot to success a little too quickly for comfort, I think, and is suffering for it.

Is the name contextually relevant? Or, it is simply for the sake of douchebaggery?

Blind Sally posted:

Within the first page of the Patrick Rothfuss thread, unsatisfied goons had adequately summed up my problems with book. Ultimately, yeah, Rothfuss isn't a terrible writer, but he's not a great one either, so I'm not really stoked on reading extended passages of his prose. I truly feel the book would have been better served if it was more heavily edited and I resolved/introduced more of its advertised plot elements.

It is difficult for me to understand why someone would provide a summary that doesn't reflect the actual plot of the book. I like to imagine that Rothfuss wrote a summary for The Name of the Wind only to realize that he, in fact, wrote a completely terrible novel and then wrote another, false summary, in order to turn a profit. :newlol:

Trek Junkie
Jun 29, 2012

End of July update!

Trek Junkie posted:

Add me on Goodreads here.

My list so far:
1. Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh (Great compilation of some of her best material, and some that was never published online - the story of moving with her dogs is my favorite of this collection.)
2. Life of Pi by Yann Martel (My head was reeling after reading the ending. I just have to say that, despite not being surprised, I was completely unprepared to face that ending.)
3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home by Georges Jeanty (This medium of storytelling for Buffy lends itself to more interesting story arcs, but the first in the series was a bit of a bumpy ride.)
4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You by Brian K. Vaughan (Distinct from the first, the storytelling seems to relax into its new style here. Also, hello useful, badass, one-eyed Xander!)
5. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate by Drew Goddard (I love a good cliffhanger.)
6. Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle #1) by Neal Stephenson (Typically, I enjoy a Neal Stephenson novel once in awhile. This novel was almost unbearable for me to finish. I couldn't believe that I made it to the end - the end of forever is an awfully long journey. I bought this series from a thrift shop ages ago. The question I have in front of myself is - do I bear down and take in the next two or count my losses and move on with my life? At this point, only time will tell.)
7. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (Unlike Stephenson, Gaiman has yet to disappoint me. The Ocean at the End of the Lane was no exception. Moving, sweet and menacing - I will read this again.)
8. The Doll by J.C. Martin (Martin offers nothing special to the horror genre here - I would have been better off reading a King novel. At least his characters are more interesting.)
9. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (Although it was well-written, the story itself was not effective at grabbing my attention. However, there are so many Oliver Twist references in modern popular culture to warrant a read-through. I would call this an educational adventure....)
10. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells (This was my second read-through (does that count?), and still, I love the imagining of human civilization splitting into two radically opposing societies. Wells' subtext is not sophisticated, but I found that delightful for a short story.)
11. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Time of Your Life by Joss Whedon (This is a nice throwback to some earlier episodes of Buffy. I find it interesting that Whedon brings a character in from his first graphic novel, Fray. Well played, Joss.)
12. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Predators and Prey by Jane Epsenson (This is one of the funniest in the series so far - fans of the show would appreciate Harmony's influence on society as a "vampire star". Every time a Buffy fan asks me about the comics, this is the spoiler I almost die to keep to myself, because it is so well done. Hilarious.)
13. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Retreat by Jane Epsenson (By far, this one had me sitting on the edge of my seat. Again, nice throwbacks to earlier episodes of the TV series.)

14. Mastering the Rockefeller Habits by Verne Harnish - This was required reading for work. Though there are some good ideas here, a lot of Harnish's justifications rely anecdotal evidence. On principle, that bothers me. Maybe back up some claims with evidence/data? Nah.
15. Hawkeye, Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon by Matt Fraction - The first volume in this Hawkeye series is intriguing and hilarious. The artwork is solid, but nothing stellar.
16. Hawkeye, Vol. 2: Little Hits by Matt Fraction - The second volume quickly picked up the pace and I absolutely adore the artistic approach to specific action scenes. I cannot wait for volume three... but I will, because I have no choice.
17. Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick by Matt Fraction - I went into the story anticipating much more heavy-handed supernatural elements, but the story did not delivery on that front. That issue aside, I find the main characters approachable and charming. I finished this collection feeling intrigued more than ecstatic or satisfied. I will give the second volume a chance.
18. Batwoman, Vol. 1: Hydrology by J.H. Williams III - The entire volume is breathtaking. Each page is thought out from word to composition to coloring. Read Batwoman: Elegy first as that story is going to give you a healthy background for the New 52! Batwoman and the overarching plot.
19. Batwoman, Vol 2: To Drown the World by J.H. Williams III - Somehow, this is more outstanding than the first volume.
20. Batwoman, Vol 3: World's Finest by J.H. Williams III - This volume did not disappoint. The plot becomes heavier than the previous volumes and the escalation of events is graceful and sharp. I never found myself offended at the introduction of new elements - Kate Kane's biting sense of meta-humor has something to do with softening the blow. All-around brilliant.
21. Batwoman, Vol 3: World's Finest by J.H. Williams III - While this volume is not as heavy or action-packed as the previous two volumes, it holds strong as an intriguing collection that advances the overarching plot of the series.
22. Clockwork Angels #1 by Kevin J. Anderson - This comic is beautifully illustrated. If you don't like to read a written language, I would surmise that this is the comic for you. The first issue in a six part series creates a surprisingly easy alternate reality. Oftentimes, stories will attempt to over-sell another universe to its readers, but this first issue handled it so gracefully that I am still a taken aback by it. I have to get my hands on issues #2 and #3 immediately.

Trek Junkie
Jun 29, 2012

Trek Junkie posted:

14. Mastering the Rockefeller Habits by Verne Harnish - This was required reading for work. Though there are some good ideas here, a lot of Harnish's justifications rely anecdotal evidence. On principle, that bothers me. Maybe back up some claims with evidence/data? Nah.
15. Hawkeye, Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon by Matt Fraction - The first volume in this Hawkeye series is intriguing and hilarious. The artwork is solid, but nothing stellar.
16. Hawkeye, Vol. 2: Little Hits by Matt Fraction - The second volume quickly picked up the pace and I absolutely adore the artistic approach to specific action scenes. I cannot wait for volume three... but I will, because I have no choice.
17. Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick by Matt Fraction - I went into the story anticipating much more heavy-handed supernatural elements, but the story did not delivery on that front. That issue aside, I find the main characters approachable and charming. I finished this collection feeling intrigued more than ecstatic or satisfied. I will give the second volume a chance.
18. Batwoman, Vol. 1: Hydrology by J.H. Williams III - The entire volume is breathtaking. Each page is thought out from word to composition to coloring. Read Batwoman: Elegy first as that story is going to give you a healthy background for the New 52! Batwoman and the overarching plot.
19. Batwoman, Vol 2: To Drown the World by J.H. Williams III - Somehow, this is more outstanding than the first volume.
20. Batwoman, Vol 3: World's Finest by J.H. Williams III - This volume did not disappoint. The plot becomes heavier than the previous volumes and the escalation of events is graceful and sharp. I never found myself offended at the introduction of new elements - Kate Kane's biting sense of meta-humor has something to do with softening the blow. All-around brilliant.
21. Batwoman, Vol 3: World's Finest by J.H. Williams III - While this volume is not as heavy or action-packed as the previous two volumes, it holds strong as an intriguing collection that advances the overarching plot of the series.
22. Clockwork Angels #1 by Kevin J. Anderson - This comic is beautifully illustrated. If you don't like to read a written language, I would surmise that this is the comic for you. The first issue in a six part series creates a surprisingly easy alternate reality. Oftentimes, stories will attempt to over-sell another universe to its readers, but this first issue handled it so gracefully that I am still a taken aback by it. I have to get my hands on issues #2 and #3 immediately.

End of August update!

23. Deep Gravity by Gabriel Hardman - Intriguing, but not so good that I would buy the next issues in the series. Maybe I'll look for a volume set and check it out from the library, but not worth my money. I enjoyed the interstellar art.
24. The Sandman, Overture #1 by Neil Gaiman - The cliffhanger for the end of this issue is extremely upsetting (in a good way). I even missed release day at the comic shop for #2, but they have #3 sitting on the shelf right now.... Must... not... skip ahead!...
25. Spike: Into the Light by James Marsters - Being crazy about the only vampire who wanted his human soul back, this was a delightful read. What makes it extra tasty is the fact that James Marsters actually wrote the story (the actor who plays Spike in the show).
26. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller - I cannot believe I waited this long before reading this riveting take on war, crime, and government officials. I am still reeling from this read and am halfway convinced that I have to readjust my top ten favorite novels list. Heller is hilarious, sharp, and thoughtful. Just, wow.
27. 30 Days of Night Omnibus Vol. 1 by Ben Templesmith - This is, by far, one of the best before-bed reads I've had this year. The imagery is haunting and, at times, beautiful. The narrative had a punch to it, because of the illustrator. The work as a whole seems complete and envisions a menacing take on a classic monster.

I am losing momentum to read often, because life outside of reading has become rather time-consuming. We'll see if I can catch up in the last few months to hit 65. Yeesh.

My Goodreads profile here: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/28352324

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trek Junkie
Jun 29, 2012

Trek Junkie posted:

End of August update!

23. Deep Gravity by Gabriel Hardman - Intriguing, but not so good that I would buy the next issues in the series. Maybe I'll look for a volume set and check it out from the library, but not worth my money. I enjoyed the interstellar art.
24. The Sandman, Overture #1 by Neil Gaiman - The cliffhanger for the end of this issue is extremely upsetting (in a good way). I even missed release day at the comic shop for #2, but they have #3 sitting on the shelf right now.... Must... not... skip ahead!...
25. Spike: Into the Light by James Marsters - Being crazy about the only vampire who wanted his human soul back, this was a delightful read. What makes it extra tasty is the fact that James Marsters actually wrote the story (the actor who plays Spike in the show).
26. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller - I cannot believe I waited this long before reading this riveting take on war, crime, and government officials. I am still reeling from this read and am halfway convinced that I have to readjust my top ten favorite novels list. Heller is hilarious, sharp, and thoughtful. Just, wow.
27. 30 Days of Night Omnibus Vol. 1 by Ben Templesmith - This is, by far, one of the best before-bed reads I've had this year. The imagery is haunting and, at times, beautiful. The narrative had a punch to it, because of the illustrator. The work as a whole seems complete and envisions a menacing take on a classic monster.

My Goodreads profile here: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/28352324

28. Redshirts by John Scalzi - While I loved the premise, the actual plot was less than interesting. I couldn't find myself caring for any of the main characters, the fourth wall broke much too soon to make it intriguing, and the loose tie-up at the end was not amusing.
29. The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman - This is a great read. I'm coming at it from the other side, since I've been following the television series for years. It's exciting to read a different (original) version of events unfolding.
30. Walking by Henry David Thoreau - While the subject of walking might dull your senses, it does not affect the author in the same way. his vision of what walking is and can mean to the world is rather refreshing.
31. Batwoman, #1: Future's End by Marc Andreyko - The exposition in this one-off issue is sharp and precise, leaving most of the comic for new events to unfold without leaving the reader behind. I don't care much for the variation, but the execution is excellent.
32. Roche Limit, Vol. 1 by Michael Moreci - This is a fairly interesting piece about a crew working in space. The plot hasn't quite picked up for me, but we'll see how the next issue turns out.
33. Superboy, #30: The New 52 by Aaron Kuder - Although I haven't been keeping up with the series, this was a fairly comprehensive beginning, middle, and end. It's rare for me to find single issues that achieve this and keep me entertained.
34. Princess Ugg, Vol. 1 by Ted Naifeh - This is a fun start to a story about an off-beat princess in a land full of stereotypical princesses. I'm not sure if I'm displeased that all other women are stereotypes, save for the heroine... I'll keep reading and find out.
35. Deadman, Vol. 1 by Paul Jenkins -This was just fine, I didn't find the story all that remarkable. The character, Deadman, has a dilemma of having to live the lives of as many people as it takes before he achieves enlightenment. The story, as you can tell, has a lot of potential. However, the story falls flat when it attempts to emotionally manipulate me. I won't be reading further.
36. The Walking Dead, Vol. 2: Miles Behind Us by Robert Kirkman - This continues to fascinate me. Some of the characters I love in the TV show are completely missing from the original works (so far?). I've been intentionally avoiding articles that might reveal any differences between the two; I'd rather find out for myself.
37. Sleeper: Season One by Ed Brubaker - The artwork was lacking, but perhaps that was the point. Gritty crime comics are not my usual read, so the art direction was much different than what I'm used to ala Superboy, Batwoman, etc. The story is intriguing and I would crack open the next issue if I had it on-hand. Though, I'm not quite sure where it's headed. Again, maybe that's the point.
38. Transmetropolitan, #54 by Warren Ellis - Hilarious. This comic is incredibly fast-paced and the third installment of the story is over too quickly.
39. Uncle Vanya by Anton Chekov - I am no stranger to Chekov plays, but was delightfully surprised to find the dreary irony that haunts me from the pages of The Cherry Orchard reaches out to me throughout Uncle Vanya. If I had to compare Chekov's works to a candy, it would be the Warhead. While it is bitter-sweet and nearly painful to experience, there is something about the great struggle between the sugary coating and tart core of the piece that keeps me stumbling onward, hoping for my exultant ending to the madness.
40. Deadpool, Vol. 5: The Wedding of Deadpool by Gerry Duggan - This is a highly entertaining story and my very first exposure to Deadpool. I read this while traveling and found myself unable to contain my laughter in public places. Needless to say, I have many new friends.
41. The Walking Dead, Vol. 3: Behind Bars by Robert Kirkman - This is so far the most gripping installment of the story. The comic version of Lori (as opposed to the show) is more difficult to like when she does about anything.

I have one week and I'm 24 books behind my goal, according to Goodreads. There are a number of comics that don't exist on Goodreads, since they're from the '80s, and can't count toward my goal on their site. However, I count them in my heart and I'm actually closer to 50. I'm still losing either way, but that's besides the point.

• Locked thread