Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesterea
Jan 2, 2013
It seemed like things were pretty clear in the op, and I really want to be a part of this, even if it is late in the year. I just post a goal for the month of December and that's cool? Or should I just wait for next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesterea
Jan 2, 2013
Yeah, fair enough. I knew it was a bit silly.

Alright then, well I guess I'll set my goal for the month at 6 books and I'm currently one book through it.

#1: The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells

It was my introduction to H.G. Wells and while that narrative was fairly solid in the beginning, things just sort of unravel towards the end. There's a couple of obvious themes strewn throughout the book, but the one that was particularly interesting to figure out was that of the primitive nature of man. Pendrick (the protagonist), despite the guilt and sympathy he feels when it comes to Dr. Moreau's experiments, does some pretty questionable things that seemed to contradict those feelings through a good chunk of the story.

You're given a strong sense that what separates men from the "beasts" is morality. Through the perspective of the novel it would seem, that in some ways, Pendrick is absolved of his actions, but then Moreau is not, and Montgomery commits no crime at all when it comes to the "animals." It's a bit confusing and somewhat inconsistent, but it is punctuated by the fact that animals are shown not to be moral creatures (at least from what I read).

Next up Embassytown by China Mieville.

• Locked thread