Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

First time participating. I'll go for 26, normally I'd go for 52 but I've got a newborn and a toddler running around atm, so not so much time for reading.

1) Quesadillas by Juan Pablo Villalobos
Bizarre and very funny, never read anything quite like it. Gotta admit I didn't understand the ending though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

2) The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christy

Utter shite, first book by Christy I've read I thought id like it based on Poirot off the TV. Apparently not. I'm interested if this is representative of her work or not.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Carbon Thief posted:

I read them all as a teenager, but probably wouldn't re-read very many of them now.
Thanks man, this seems to be what everyone who talks positively of her says. I'll stick either 'And Then There Were None' or 'Crooked House' into my reading list at some point in the future to give her a fair shake as she isn't a long winded author. I've seen the TV versions of 'Death on the Nile' and 'Murder on the Orient Express' too many times to want to read them and 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' provoked a strong reaction from ProfessorProf :)

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

^^^ I think T.B. Thread is The Bad Thread.

3) Un Lun Dun by China Mieville
Fun Book, imaginative and in parts quite exciting. Certainly a book for kids though so I spent a decent amount of reading time thinking about how my daughter will like it when she's old enough rather than enjoying it for itself. A lot like Kraken (also by Mieville) in many ways but much better.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

4. Le Dernier Jour D'un Condamne by Victor Hugo
I learned a lot of ancient prison system vocabulary at least. Very very straight forward book, some nice characters though like the guy in the wagon taking them to the guillotine saying his day was going badly because he drops something.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Stravinsky posted:

I agree, its not a contest. In reality nothing anyone does on these forums (bar someone hunting me down to murder me because they are mad that I'm questioning grapic novels place in a thread inside tbb) effects me personally. If your problem is that this is all metaposting then I can take it to the tbb general thread or qcs if that helps you.
I think he (the guy adding comics) did it just to piss you off. Like 90% sure that was his reason. Funny really.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

5) I just finished Raising Steam, it was better than Snuff and I laughed at a few passages, I'll be honest though the last good discworld book was Thud.

I'm now behind schedule, not too worried, I'll be travelling for work in July and so will have some time to read.

Have kids, its great, but realise you'll have no free time.

Dirty Frank fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 15, 2014

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

6. We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

Nicely written, understated and slightly creepy. An enjoyable read, its tricky to describe without simply outlining the whole book as there isn't a whole lot of plot. Its written in the first person from the point of view of a socially backwards young woman (girl?) who lives in a house with her older sister and crippled uncle.

I feel like I'm writing an assignment for school when doing these...

Still 2 behind schedule according to Goodreads.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Siminu posted:

32. The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon surprised me. The jacket descriptions did not make it sound like a novel I'd like to read, but it was ultimately pretty fantastic. While generally straightforward and clear, Chabon's prose occasionally veers into wonderfully succinct poetry. I just wish I had baseline understanding of Yiddish, as his use of Yiddish slang (which I had to look up) was wry and humourous. Sholem (Peace) instead of gun, and Shofar (Horn) for phone were two notably fitting examples. Pretty great.

My copy had a glossary in the back for this stuff (which I didn't find until I finished it :downs:). Really good book. If you haven't read it yet Gentlemen of the Road is a good read as well, more lighthearted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

7) Anathem - Neal Stephenson
Excellent book, like everything else by Stephenson far too long, but full of interesting ideas.
8) Siddartha - Herman Hesse
Om...
9) The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
The idle rich, kill all these fuckers.
10) Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
Seriously flawed, the stuff from the author at the end where he says this started out as a comic book make a lot of sense. I doubt I'd have finished this if not for the reading challenge
11) The House of War and Witness - Mike Carey
Surprisingly good for a book about ghosts.
12) The Girl with all the Gifts - M.R. Carey
Amazingly good for a book about Zombies, seriously really great book if you like sci-fi at all.
13) Mostly Harmless - Kate Russell
Pulp sci-fi set in a computer games universe, its exactly as bad as you'd think. Kind-of fun, quick read. I was drunk when I bought it.

Dirty Frank fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 22, 2014

• Locked thread