Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've been reading around 1 book a year for a while now, but since I am not in school at the moment let's go for 26

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/14931931

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Stravinsky posted:

Do not do this. You really did not get it either at all. Sometimes things should be taking at face value. The humor of Milo is that he was a requisition officer left on his own and then began to become a continent spanning center of crime just soo that he was doing his job, with side benefits of course.

Maybe these chumps better cut their teeth on some comic books for a while.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, I am way behind, but here is my offering so far:

1) Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury:

Not much to say about this one. I enjoyed it. The prose was satisfying. It's just greatly overshadowed by 1984 as far as dystopian books in its neighbourhood.

2) The Road, by Cormac McCarthy:

"He walked out into the gray light and stood and he saw for a brief moment the absolute truth of the world. The cold relentless circling of the intestate earth. Darkness implacable. The blind dogs of the sun in their running. The crushing black vacuum of the universe. And somewhere two hunted animals trembling like ground-foxes in their cover. Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it."

The Road is an incredibly bleak and hopeless novel. It's a story about a father and his son and survival in a wasted land. There really isn't very much more to it. The pair travel east, across the continental United States. This and survival are their only goal, while a father's love of his son is the only motivation.

McCarthy's stark and eloquent prose is a good enough reason to read this book. Grammar is often left by the wayside though, and this can be especially noticeable during dialogue where there is no standard punctuation to structure it. I found this to be almost complementary to the bleakness of the novel, but it can be confusing at times. The ashy and desolate landscape is described over and over...and over, but at under 300 pages it never gets to the point of boredom, maybe just despair.

3) A Canticle for Liebowitz, by Walter M. Miller Jr.

I think this book would have had more of an impact on me if I was around during the cold war, or if I was Catholic, or even if I even spoke Latin. It was still competently written and interesting sci-fi.

4) A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson:

The first part of this book was hilarious, and most of Bryson's interactions with his friend Stephen on the trail are quite amusing. I'm very interested in long-distance hiking, so this was a decent book to read. I am not sure I'd recommend it to anyone who is already an accomplished long distance hiker, but it's a reasonable primer about what it's all about and about the history of the Appalachian Trail. If anything, it shows that no matter your age or what shape you're in, you can get out on the trail and enjoy it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I only made it through 9/26, but I am still reasonably happy because that's 9 more than I read last year that weren't for school. I also got bogged down in some 1500+ page books. This year is the year!

• Locked thread