Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I made 100 last year, I'll go for 100 again this year. I suspect it will be harder this year than last (instead of a 45 minute commute each way I'll be walking around 10 minutes, so less time for audiobooks), but then I'm pretty surprised I actually made it to 100 last year. If I don't make it, oh well. Also, I'm going to try to write a review (at least a short one) for every book I read on Goodreads. I started doing this last year and it's actually kind of fun. Plus, it makes it more likely that I'll win giveaways.
Here's my Goodreads profile, feel free to add me.

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

showbiz_liz posted:

I wonder- for the people who did this last year, could you say what your favorite book of 2013 was? It would help me (and maybe others) to choose books for the 2014 lineup. Mine was probably Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing. The most gripping nonfiction book I've ever read, I think. I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through.

My favorite of 2013 was Believing Women in Islam: Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur'an
by Asma Barlas. But I understand that may be of limited interest to most, so I'll second your recommendation of Endurance.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

showbiz_liz posted:

That actually sounds really interesting! And I love the negative reviews. "She is coming from a biased perspective of the history of the relationships between women and men. The perspective that women have always been oppressed through out history."

I must have missed that one. I should read negative reviews more.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I smashed my goal of 100 and hit 210 this year, including a couple I finished today, though I did not keep up with this thread. That's my most ever for a year, so I'm pretty proud of myself, even if I am including audiobooks (but only unabridged; I do have some standards). Turns out moving to a new area where you have no friends or family really frees up some extra time in your schedule. I'll spare everyone the hassle of posting my entire list and just post my Goodreads page if you're really interested. I think next year I'll aim for an even hundred. I doubt I'll get anywhere near this year's amount.

• Locked thread