Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
2013 was a weak reading year for me (only 10 books). Going to kick that into high gear this year and shoot for 26 books.

Goodreads, ho!!!: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3797458

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
My goal was 25 books this year and so far my pace is pretty good:

1. The Amber Spyglass
I already didn't like book 1 all that much, but I thought this was worse. Much like too many YA trilogies, book 3 is a disaster of wrapping up loose ends in weird ways. Wish I started off the year with something better.

2. The Book Thief
I enjoyed it and was actually a fan of the narrator. At times I felt the plot was like Mad Men: lots of build up and suspense for nothing major to happen.

3. Embassytown
I'm a China Mieville nerd and this was a very China Mieville book. Aliens? Dense Vocabulary? Great Worldbuilding? A plot completely revolving around language and Language (read it to see what I mean)? Check x4. Usually China sucks at endings, but I thought this one was really good. Protagonist was still weak.

4. Steelheart
Another author who I'm guaranteed to enjoy everything he writes. Sanderson really knows how to write fight scenes, and this book was full of fun ones. Plot was a little wonky, but overall a fun read.

5. Goldfinch
Agree with most people that this was a fantastic novel only marred by the hotel scene in Amsterdam and the overblown ending monologue. Loved the characters and the language. This book made me never want to do hardcore drugs.

6. Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives
Super short read. 40 short stories about different possibilities for the afterlife. It's fast and interesting. Lots of great ideas and quotable quotes. I don't suggest a straight read-through since it takes no time and the stories get jumbled. I think it's better as a bathroom book to read a story or two while sending your meals to the afterlife.

• Locked thread