Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Going for 75.

Goodreads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

January.

1. The time traveler's wife. Audrey Niffenegger. Some of the characters were really unlikable and I'm not really into all the deterministic stuff and how the characters just accept everything.
2. The Thin Man. Dashiell Hammett. This was a nice and unexpectedly funny surprise.
3. The Way of Kings. Brandon Sanderson. Starts slow but picks up nicely by the end.
4. The Illustrated Man. Ray Bradbury. Bradbury is a genius, all the stories are awesome and worth reading.
5. Interesting Times. Terry Pratchett. Pretty funny but a little bland.
6. Martian Time Slip. Philip K. Dick. Scary, really scary. But good.
7. The Heroes. Joe Abercrombie. Better than his other books. More sympathetic characters for a start.
8. Halting State. Charles Stross. Extreme techno-babble, I wonder how would it be to read this without some technology knowledge.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

February.

9. Meditations. Marcus Aurelius. Stoic.
10. Ready Player One. Ernest Cline. Many references, little story. Kind of straightforward fun.
11. Royal assassin. Robin Hobb. Starts good but the end is pretty bad.
12. The Mote in God's Eye. Larry Niven. Too long. Nice descriptions of things, but some characterization was just forgotten.
13. The Iron King. Maurice Druon. Too short, some characters needed more time in the spotlight. There wasn't a clear protagonist but as a retell of an historical event, it works.
14. The Crow Road. Iain M. Banks. Too personal of a book. Some vignettes of the family's life were interesting but not so much the ramblings.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

March.

15. Outlander. Diana Gabaldon. Awful book.
16. The Rapture of the Nerds. Cory Doctorow and Charles Stross. Fun but kind of slow.
17. Paranormality: Why We See What Isn't There. Richard Wiseman. This was way more entertaining than I thought.
18. All Tomorrow's Parties. William Gibson. Average. Felt like if Gibson took parts of his other stories and mix them in a weird way. Still, the world he created is awesome.
19. The Master and Margarita. Mikhail Bulgakov. A lot of the symbolism went right trough my head. Still pretty good, may read it again soon.
20. Fahrenheit 451. Ray Bradbury. Always awesome.
21. The Strangled Queen. Maurice Druon. Better than the first on the "Accursed Kings" series.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

April.

22. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Mark Twain. Always a classic, a little bit hard to read.
23. Chasm City. Alastair Reynolds. Slow book but quite engaging.
24. Maskerade. Terry Pratchett. Funny but not as interesting as the other books, maybe because of my ignorance about all things operatic.
25. The Naked Sun. Isaac Asimov. The setting is great but you can't help to notice how aged this is.
26. Assassin's quest. Robin Hobb. Really slow, the story could easily been summarized in a couple of paragraphs.
27. Behemoth. Scott Westerfeld. Quick read. Fun story with some cliches, but they don't distract much.
28. The Poisoned Crown. Maurice Druon. Still pretty good. On par with the second book of the "Accursed Kings".

Talas fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 1, 2014

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

May.

29. Leviathan Wakes. James S. A. Corey. Great book, good dynamic story in space, even if it felt simple some times.
30. Nail your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books. Roz Morris. Research.
31. The Hunger. Whitley Strieber. Quick and to the point; and the point is full of sex and blood.
32. Against a Dark Background. Iain M. Banks. Good book, too long in some parts. The intersection of flashbacks in the middle of the chapters was a little disorienting.
33. The Royal Succession. Maurice Druon. The intrigue goes trough the roof. It actually felt shorter than the others in the series of the "Accursed Kings".

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

June.

34. Cryptonomicon. Neal Stephenson. Looooooooong. Good book but it felt like it could be cut like 500 pages without missing any single thing. The end was abrupt as hell.
35. Feet of Clay. Terry Pratchett. Funny but more straightforward than others in the series.
36. Pattern Recognition. William Gibson. Good book but not very interesting if you are not that familiar with advertising. It's quite dated too.
37. The She-Wolf of France. Maurice Druon. This one goes faster than the other books in the "Accursed Kings" series but it's still good.
38. The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath. H.P. Lovecraft. Nice story, weird prose. Like a dream you write as it comes. The last few pages are amazing.
39. Breakfast of Champions. Kurt Vonnegut. Great book, very emotional and weird.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

July.

40. Soldiers Live. Glen Cook. Much better than the past few books of the Black Company series.
41. Something Wicked This Way Comes. Ray Bradbury. Pretty good, it was hard to read at some points but I'm glad I did finish it.
42. The Maze Runner. James Dashner. This books felt like a big setup, the prose was weird.
43. The Lily and the Lion. Maurice Druon. Good, but somewhat lacking. The end was unexpected but pretty cool.
44. The Robots of Dawn. Isaac Asimov. The mystery was good but it feels like it was recycling characters and forcing them to fit with Foundation.
45. Fire. Kristin Cashore. A quick read, a few of the characters where really obnoxious but it was a an ok book.
46. Speaker for the Dead. Orson Scott Card. It's ok. Some of the philosophy was a little off-putting. The conflict is based in misunderstandings and some of those were really easy to fix.
47. Railsea. China Mieville. Really weird but good. Some of the message of the book was really blatant, especially at the end.
48. Catching Fire. Suzanne Collins. First part was kind of good, the second part was bad.
49. Fevre Dream. George R. R. Martin. Good and quick, the GRUM can write when he proposes to.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

August.

50. The Algebraist. Iain M. Banks. I really liked this. Between the conjuntion of stories and the characters, it was a great book. The end was a little weird but the story makes up for it.
51. Hogfather. Terry Pratchett. Funny as hell. All the references to Christmas were amazing.
52. Rule 34. Charles Stross. Really good, but sometimes I was as confused as the characters, but the end was nice.
53. Pump Six and Other Stories. Paolo Bacigalupi. All the stories are awesome, I wish I could write like that.
54. Elric of Melniboné. Michael Moorcock. Pretty good and fast-paced dark fantasy.
55. Goliath. Scott Westerfeld. The references to real people started to get ridiculous. Also, the main characters got more annoying. I'm glad it's over.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

September.

56. The Republic of Thieves. Scott Lynch. The book was really fun but kind of random at some points. Pretty good anyway.
57. 59 Seconds: Think a Little, Change a Lot. Richard Wiseman. Not bad for a self-help book, at least this one has backup in actual research.
58. Nación TV. Fabrizio Mejía Madrid. Entertainment resume of the history of television in Mexico.
59. The Currents of Space. Isaac Asimov. Kind of bland.
60. The Believing Brain. Michael Shermer. Awesome book, even if some of the science is kind of sketchy.
61. No Country For Old Men. Cormac McCarthy. Great book, the story is loving awesome.
62. Through The Gates Of The Silver Key. H.P. Lovecraft. Short, kind of weird.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

October.

63. The Eye of the World. Robert Jordan. Book was good but too drat long.
64. Mockingjay. Suzanne Collins. Mediocre. It was like a series of random scenes joined by a loose plot.
65. Jingo. Terry Pratchett. I laughed out loud more times than I expected at first. Awesome.
66. The Hellbound Heart. Clive Barker. Good and short.
67. Nothing. Janne Teller. Not bad, but I didn't understand many things. It was like light philosophy.
68. Life of Pi. Yann Martel. Good book but kind of tedious.
69. Redemption Ark. Alastair Reynolds. Amazing book. It's a little on the long side and some of the characters were really dull but the story is great. And you really need to read the first couple of books in the series.
70. The Graveyard Book. Neil Gaiman. Good little book.

70/75, almost there.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

~Half November.

71. Robots and Empire. Isaac Asimov. Not bad, kind of tedious sometimes but pretty good.
72. El Llano en Llamas. Juan Rulfo. Some of the short stories are kind of weird but good overall.
73. The Magician King. Lev Grossman. Good, but the story lasted a while to get started and a lot of the characters were just annoying. And also that thing almost at the end... well, no, just no.
74. The Cyberiad. Stanislav Lem. Awesome stories.
75. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Mark Twain. Good story, but kind of hard to read.

75/75, goal done :ese:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Rest of November.

76. The Princess Bride. William Goldman. Awesome and funny.
77. The Ringworld Engineers. Larry Niven. Kind of long... and well, not a lot happened but it was ok.
78. The Last Continent. Terry Pratchett. Pretty funny but the story lacked some coherence.

78/75

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

December.

79. Short Story Writing. Raymond Charles Barrett. Research. Meh, nothing I didn't know already.
80. Think of a Number. John Verdon. Not bad. I'm kind of disappointing that I found the killer before the big reveal, but i guess that was the point.
81. The Ghost Brigades. John Scalzi. A good read. The characters were really good, the story had some issues but it was ok.
82. Storm Front. Jim Butcher. Average. Fun book, kind of predictable.
83. The Case for God. Karen Armstrong. It's full of the history of religion and the change in the concept of god. She tries to find a middle way between the western definition of religion and atheism... but I don't think it works.
84. Double Star. Robert A. Heinlein. This was funner than I was expecting.
85. The Sailor on the Seas of Fate. Michael Moorcock. Not bad, I was expecting something else but it was ok.
86. InterWorld. Neil Gaiman. Pretty short but nice.

86/75, not bad at all.

• Locked thread