Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Thanks AreYouStillThere for this thread.

I found last years thread really helpful for finding new authors and really branched out on what I normally read. I beat my goal of 30 books last year, with 34, but think I'll keep this year's goal at 30 as my available reading time often varies depending on how long I'm stuck on public transport.

Goodreads profile here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

1. House of Chains, Steven Erikson
2. Midnight Tides, Steven Erikson
3. Ready Player One, Ernest Cline
4. Revelation Space, Alastair Reynolds
5. Words of Radiance, Brandon Sanderson

I'm a couple of books behind this year, mostly because I read the first 12 volumes of Fables after picking up Episodes 1 and 2 of The Wolf Among Us on Steam. Not sure if I will count them towards my total for the year.

I've been loving Erikson, but needed to take a break after reading through the first 5 books in the series in a row.

Ready Player One was just ok. I enjoyed the world(s) he built, but the whole nostalgia focus annoyed me.

Revelation Space was my first Alastair Reynolds book, which I picked up on a recommendation by a workmate/seeing him mentioned in the SA Sci-Fi thread. Loved the universe and tech, but didn't really care for most of the characters. I got a bit of a Fractal Prince vibe from Sylveste, with the memory segmentation between him and his father which was interesting to watch unfold.

Absolutely loved Words of Radiance. Sanderson can't write this series fast enough.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Loten posted:

1. House of Chains, Steven Erikson
2. Midnight Tides, Steven Erikson
3. Ready Player One, Ernest Cline
4. Revelation Space, Alastair Reynolds
5. Words of Radiance, Brandon Sanderson

6. Vurt, Jeff noon
7. Bonehunters, Steven Erikson
8. Reaper's Gale, Steven Erikson
9. Toll the Hounds, Steven Erikson
10. Dust of Dreams, Steven Erikson
11. The Crippled God, Steven Erikson
12. Half a King, Joe Abercrombie
13. Miami Blues, Charles Willeford
14. Meta, Tom Reynolds
15.New Hope for the Dead, Charles Willeford
16. Dangerous Women, Assorted.
17. The Phoenix Project, Gene Kim

I'm not going to hit anywhere near my goal of 30 this year.

I got bogged down in The Malazan Book of the Fallen series (Erikson) which took me way too long to get through. The series as a whole is amazing, but they switch main characters quite often which made it hard for me to get into each new book. Highly recommend it to fantasy fans, but maybe don't try and power through the entire series in a row.

Charles Willeford was recommended by one of the thread in this forum and quite enjoyed his 2 books and will probably check out more. It was a nice palate cleanser after a heavy run of fantasy novels.

Dangerous Women was a good compilation of short stories. Some were amazing, some were just average. The Joe Abercrombie short story: “Some Desperado” was great. “The Princess and the Queen” by GRRM was pretty good, but it was also suffered from having too many name drops, similar to the first ASOIAF novel.

The Phoenix Project is a novel about IT DevOps and describes the journey one company went from having a completely dysfunctional IT department into a smooth running operation. It was recommended to me in one of the IT threads in SH/SC here and I highly recommend to people in the IT field.

• Locked thread