Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Origins has it's problems (mostly that there are some really bad bugs, one or two game breaking ones/ ones that prevented DLC from being downloaded. That being said I think they patched most of those.)

But it's by no means a bad game. It's Arkham City again, and that's by no means a bad thing. The timing on the Combat feels different (this was reported a lot, but no concrete proof of it) but it's still the same great gameplay.
I will argue that it's got a better story than Arkham City (in my mind "Mob boss hires 8 super villains to kill Batman in the space of one night" is a perfectly fine story, as compared to the hodge podge of different elements we got in City.)
There are a load of good boss fights in Origins (Firefly, Bane and Deathstroke were all really fun fights.) Nothing as good as the Mr. Freeze boss fight from City, but I think the overall boss fights were better.

The Riddler stuff was there and I loved that. (Plus they had a load of other really cool side quests like the Spirit of Gotham quest.)
The actual Detective Stuff in Origins was Light Years ahead of anything in the previous games, and I hope that they carry that across to Arkham Knights.

And it had some fantastic dialogue/ cutscenes in the game. The story between Bruce and Alfred (and Batman and Gordon) was excellently done.
Like the game goes from big dramatic back and forths like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExA6FGH1KXU

To having a tiny, non-scripted sequence where you swing around Gotham, Alfred reports that it's turned midnight and they wish each other Merry Christmas.

So yeah I had a lot of fun playing Origins. And I hope that Rocksteady can combine the best bits from all the Batman games to deliver an ultimate Batman game...with properly done Batmobile driving fun. And good Detective puzzle solving.
Who knows, they may finally take the title of best Batman game from the Amiga Batman movie tie-in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H_loWZS9Jg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

TwoPair posted:

While I agree with most of your post, I'd like to counterpoint with: gently caress the Riddler oh wait I'm sorry "ENIGMA" sidequest in Origins. It just really made me mad that there was no resolution there. Riddler gets away and the only thing you get for collecting all his poo poo is the revelation that *gasp* he was the Riddler, in case anyone hadn't figured that out like... from his introduction. In City you got to punch him, in Asylum, you got to hear cops take him down over the radio, just give me some catharsis for solving those puzzles. It wouldn't be breaking some sort of "continuity" to put Eddie in Arkham/Blackgate, I mean, it's not like Gotham doesn't have a jailbreak every other weekend that would put him back on the streets for the first game.

Oh, but I do really like the music in Origins. That remix of Carol of the Bells was great.

True, it would have been nice to have some full resolution to the Riddler stuff. Still he didn't get away 100% free. You do stop his Blackmail plot and you oust his Secret Identity, so he can't operate from within GCPD anymore.
Like perhaps they went in the direction that ending every game with you punching the Riddler in the dick, would have made it less satisfying each time. I don't agree with this view, but I am attempting to understand why they didn't put in a bigger payoff for that quest.

On the other hand, Origins did wisely include a cutscene where you could just keep pressing Square to punch the Joker in his stupid face. That was an incredibly cathartic sequence.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dear Warner Brothers, thank you for putting Oracle in the game.
Now please go one step further and include either Cassandra Caine or Stephanie Browne as Batgirl.
Yours Sincerely,
The Question IRL.

As for the open world elements, I think they added a huge amount to the game. Arkham Asylum is a fantastically atmospheric game.
But it's incredibly linear. City's open element allowed it to break away from that and put in the side quests along with a feeling that you were in a city with a thousand disasters all going off at once, and you were the only person who could stop them.

On top of that, Asylum ended up being a whole lot of "Batman runs down a corridor to another room." And backtracking to get a hidden trophy after you got a new gadget often meant minutes of just walking/ running.

City and Origins gave us the ability to grapple everywhere, speedily get to zones where hidden items were now accessible. And few feelings can top flying around, hearing some low-lives talk trash about you, only for you to drop into the middle of their group, hear them yell "It's the Bat!" and then you proceed to start snapping arms. That never gets old.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

I got a sweet Batman statue for preordering Arkham City.

On a similar note, I got a sweet statue of Batman holding up the Joker for preordering Arkham Origins.

In fact it was my Facebook Profile picture for quite a while, and one I will probably end up using into the future.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

There's also the fact that with some games, you just want to play them on Launch day and you might not be able to get them on the day they come out if you don't pre-order.
Sure games selling out completely on the day of launch isn't as common as it once was, but it still happens.

In my current situation, Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zero and Infamous Second Son both came out today. I was told by my brothers that they were getting them for me as a birthday present.
I think "cool. I can play it over this weekend."

When I come home, I find out that my brother had ordered them online, but they won't be delivered to the 28th, so I don't get to play them until next week. Now I'm sitting here thinking "had it been up to me, I would have pre-ordered those games in Gamestop and I could have collected them after work and been playing them now."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

You could just be appreciative that your brothers bought you some gifts and play something else this weekend.

Oh it's not something that I'm seething with murderous rage over. It's just having spent the last two weeks looking forward to playing the game, I discover today that I have to wait another week.
While it bothers me right now, it's not something that I will really mind too much say come Monday or Wednesday.
Either way I was using it to illustrate the point that for some people pre-ordering a game is something they do so they can play it on day 1. Maybe it's because they are really excited about the game, maybe the online element to games are really active on launch, maybe it's because they plan out schedules and clear plans to accommodate their entertainment calenders.

It's different for different people.

Anyway, back to the topic. I looked at the video ThermoPhysical posted, it's a whole lot of talking by the Game Devs, but little footage. And what footage there is doesn't let me fully judge what the games going to be like. I honestly couldn't tell if some of the clips were from the first or second game. Here's hoping some clearer clips show up online soon.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

Not really, you know how much crap City got for being a rehash? Well this is that times a thousand. The game doesn't do anything interesting and is just more of the same.

Wait seriously? People criticised City for being a rehash?
I can understand that criticism at Origins (it's a bullshit criticisim, since if the original game is good you don't need to reinvent the wheel.) but City?

Like they had the same engine/ core gameplay mechanic (Predator mode and the Freeflow combat.)
But Asylum was all about walking up and down corridors following a very well told story, but it was slow as hell. City had you effortlessly criss-crossing a city using a combination of grappling and gliding.

I'm not saying City was perfect (I think the story went off the rails , particularly at the end.) and it has it's flaws but saying it's a Rehash of Asylum just sounds crazy to me.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Until they put in John Carter of Mars, I will never consider buying this game. :colbert

...I still dream of Barsoom.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

redbackground posted:

It had better be now!

They could make it like an Upgrade you can buy like the Sonic Shock Batarangs. Where to balance it it can only be used like once a Predator Room, but it is a guaranteed take down, or it's a distraction with a long cool down and only works on half of the room or something.

Watching that video I get the feeling that this might be the Last Rockstready Arkham game, but we could end up getting Arkham Origins games building on the engine/ gameplay features of Arkham Knight, but continuing the AO story line. (Since I doubt the Architects of Gotham storyline will be concluded in this game.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm pretty confident Arkham Knight will be Rocksteady's last Batman game. In all their interviews they aren't mincing words about this being it for them. WB Montreal doesn't strike me as an ambitious studio, but I feel like the most groundbreaking things they could do with the core Arkham mechanics would be a Batman Beyond or Silver Age game.

I think they wanted to do not only a Silver Age Batman game, but wanted a Silver Age Justice League to appear in it. And frankly, I think that would be a fantastic twist for a video game.

(I've said it before, and I'll say it again)
Just imagine you are playing through the single player story and you reach the half way point. Batman is trying to stop the Joker from shipping Barrels of Joker Toxin all over the city. Things look dire, but Bats has tracked down the factory where Joker has all the stuff stored, and the trucks haven't left yet. There has been a couple of attempts to relay him radio messages, but Batman has ignored them to focus on stopping the Joker before his plan gets off the ground.
Once Bat's gets there and disables the trucks, he'll have foiled the majority of the Joker's plan and it will be in wrap up mode.

But as you swing along to the warehouse you see a Red Streak fly past. Then a Red/Blue blur. And the screen is lit up in an Emerald Hue as the rest of the Justice League appear on a Green Lantern constructed platform. Hovering above Bruce, like the modern day Pantheon of Gods of Justice.

Superman: This really would have been easier if you could have just answered your communicator Batman. I know you are looking after Gotham, but we've got a planetary level emergency here.
Mogul has brought War World into Earth orbit over Taiwan, and if we don't act within the next 5 minutes, millions will die. Gotham is going to have to wait.

And then, to his protests, Batman and the rest of the JLA are teleported across the world to a different gameplay section. Where you have to stealth past hulking alien brutes who would instantly shred Batman, hack sections of an alien warship and generally show why Batman is included with the Worlds Greatest Heroes.

Basically I'd use it as a way of putting the story on hold and change the tempo of gameplay in a unique manner. That would be fairly ambitious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

For those wondering, here is what's included in the Arrow DLC pack for Lego Batman 3.

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-dlc-pack-coming-for-lego-batman-3/19305

In short it's not just Stephen Amell as Lego Arrow. You also get all the other cast members.

• Locked thread