Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

toadee posted:

It's just crazy that I can get a Phonic or Yamaha or Behringer mixer with 12-16 ins for like $200-400 but to do so without a bunch of channel strips and stuff involves getting an interface + D/A converter for a total closer to $1000.

If you're interested I'll be selling a digi 003 rack+ soon, It'll be a pretty drat decent price too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

toadee posted:

So, why is it that I can't seem to find any audio interfaces that aren't in a mixer format that provide more than 8 analog ins? I don't really need a mixer, I just need a ton of analog ins for all my synths. I can do all my level adjusting and per channel fx in my PC and in fact I'd prefer to do that. So why is it to get something with somewhere between 12-16 analog ins I seem to HAVE to buy a mixer with a USB interface. Is there any option Im missing here?
The Tascam US-1800 has 14 analog inputs, but I haven't personally used any Tascam interfaces, so I can't recommend one way or another: http://tascam.com/product/us-1800/specifications/

My own guess about the rarity of low-cost/high-input interfaces is that it's more of a demographics thing. I think there are simply a whole lot more people in the consumer/non-pro market who only need 1-4 inputs than need more than that. When you get into the pro realm, there are a lot more studio techs and live recordists, proportionally, who need lots of I/O, so they have a lot more choices.

The new MOTU interfaces (16a and 24ai) have tons of analog inputs, but they are $1500, $1000, respectively.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Hmm, that Tascam interface looks promising. Seems to get generally positive reviews.

Do you think the MOTU interfaces would really be worth the premium?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

toadee posted:

Hmm, that Tascam interface looks promising. Seems to get generally positive reviews.

Truthfully, Tascam is extremely hit or miss. They have terrible QC issues from my understanding. I have never had issues with motu stuff. I know some people say they have driver issues but that was awhile ago and I bet that issue has been resolved.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

toadee posted:

It's just crazy that I can get a Phonic or Yamaha or Behringer mixer with 12-16 ins for like $200-400
Yeah, um, do any of those mixers output more than stereo over usb? Because technically that's an apples/oranges comparison with multi-in interfaces, I think.

And if they do, please tell me, because in the budget section there only was an Alesis Multimix (usb2 version) that mysteriously disappeared from the market and now maybe the Zoom R16 that barely qualifies as a mixer with all the menu diving.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah, um, do any of those mixers output more than stereo over usb? Because technically that's an apples/oranges comparison with multi-in interfaces, I think.

And if they do, please tell me, because in the budget section there only was an Alesis Multimix (usb2 version) that mysteriously disappeared from the market and now maybe the Zoom R16 that barely qualifies as a mixer with all the menu diving.

Yes, actually Ive been using a Phonic Helixboard 12 for years now but it's starting to flake out on me and it doesn't technically have native Win7 support so Im looking to replace it

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

toadee posted:

Yes, actually Ive been using a Phonic Helixboard 12 for years now but it's starting to flake out on me and it doesn't technically have native Win7 support so Im looking to replace it
Ugh, man, that's too bad. Decent support for modern OSs would be as important as on a regular multi-in interface, of course. I'll have to keep looking. Thanks anyway.

You'd think this was some huge market segment instead of a niche product.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

toadee posted:

I've had an 896mk3 for quite a few years now, and I've been extremely pleased with it. We've made 2 records and an EP with it, and their customer support (on the rare occasion I have needed it) has been top notch. Best of all, when something did go seriously wrong with my interface, even though it was out of warranty, they repaired/replaced it for $100 flat (I don't actually know which of the two they did!).

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Anyone here use Steinberg interfaces? All I do is record guitar/bass and they just released a new one I might pick up.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UR12

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been using the 2 input version and it sounded just fine to me (until my friend fried it by loving around with it w/ phantom power on).

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I'm trying to find an interface that will for sure not clip using active pickups. My main squeeze is an EMG loaded guitar and turning the volume down on my guitar is not an option because that sucks tone.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

I just picked up a Zoom R24. Mainly because you can use it as both a hard disc recorder and an interface. I've done a bit of hard disc recording with and it does a good job. The built in pres are mediocre but this is a sketch pad so it doesn't have to be pro.I tested it as an interface and it worked well also. The ASIO driver that ships with it is great. Really not latency to speak of.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Luna posted:

The ASIO driver that ships with it is great. Really not latency to speak of.
I had the Zoom R8 for a bit and yeah, it had amazingly low latency for a USB interface.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
I am thinking about getting one of these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC202HD Behringer interfaces. I already have an x32 that records at 24bit/48k, and I love the sound of the Midas designed preamps on it. Has anyone tried a Uphoria before? How does it compare to a Scarlet 2i2?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I just bought a NI Traktor Audio 2 MkII interface for my mobile setup.

Basically needed the smallest possible headphone out with real ASIO drivers. Seems to be absolutely stable at 32 samples/6ms at 24 bit/48kHz, which is pretty amazing. Sounds good and can get loud if required.

It's got some oddities. While the headphone out shows in windows as a separate audio device, it only actually works that way in ASIO mode, apparently. You can still listen to what's coming out of the main output via the headphone output though. I also had to change the windows output setting manually to 24 bit/48kHz stereo for any sound to come out at all outside of ASIO mode.

Those things aside, I'm pretty happy. I basically bought the MiniLab thinking it'd be nice on the go and completely forgot it would be useless for vsts with the enormous latency of the onboard sound. So it had been sitting in a drawer for half a year. It's a bit poo poo, but it works and I won't cry if a knob breaks off in transport or something.

Wasn't able to try on USB 3 ports (because I loving fried them with a bum powered hub :cripes:), but presumably the caveats for NI products on USB 3 like with the Komplete Audio 6 still apply. Can't give any evidence to the contrary in any case.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 13, 2015

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

CashEnsign posted:

I am thinking about getting one of these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC202HD Behringer interfaces. I already have an x32 that records at 24bit/48k, and I love the sound of the Midas designed preamps on it. Has anyone tried a Uphoria before? How does it compare to a Scarlet 2i2?

I'd also be interested in hearing about this if anyone knows

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

I'd also be interested in hearing about this if anyone knows

I've added this one to my list of interfaces to check out in my next shoot-out. Aesthetically it looks a hell of a lot like the roland duo-capture ex.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Oh nice, MOTU's releasing a new UltraLite.

http://www.motu.com/products/avb/ultralite-avb/body.html

It looks pretty great, but seriously- what is with MOTU's sick obsession with power buttons you have to hold down to turn their devices on and off? The only thing preventing the Track 16 from being my ultimate desktop interface is that damned power button (you literally have to hold it down for 5 seconds to shut the thing off), and the number one physical issue with the previous model UltraLites was the multi-function power button/knob snapping off.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Just on the UMC202's there seems to be a consensus that the drivers are horrible and/or missing, there are claims that you can get it working on 24-bit under Linux but no support in the kernel that I can see, so even without any hard data on its technical specs, I'm not inclined to purchase. Steinberg UR22's are getting harder to find, but they have much better support, so I'm still going to get one.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

I think these questions belong here.

I am upgrading my many-year-old computer, which currently has installed in it an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card that I like. I really only use it for its RCA I/Os and MIDI port. I will no longer be able to use this card because it is PCI, and nothing uses PCI any more. M-Audio apparently no longer offers sound cards.

I'm plugging in an MPD-24 drum pad set and a turntable and maybe a mic. The MIDI interface on the MPD-24 was much more crisp than the USB one, though I suspect that with newer USB ports (> 2.0) this may no longer be an issue.

Is there an audio interface that has those features? Or do I just need a USB mixer?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Pimp Cauldron posted:

I am upgrading my many-year-old computer, which currently has installed in it an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card that I like. I really only use it for its RCA I/Os and MIDI port. I will no longer be able to use this card because it is PCI, and nothing uses PCI any more. M-Audio apparently no longer offers sound cards.

I'm plugging in an MPD-24 drum pad set and a turntable and maybe a mic. The MIDI interface on the MPD-24 was much more crisp than the USB one, though I suspect that with newer USB ports (> 2.0) this may no longer be an issue.

Is there an audio interface that has those features? Or do I just need a USB mixer?
Only a handful of USB interfaces have RCA connectors, and only a handful of those actually have phono preamps (which you'd need for a turntable).

The only current device I know of that meets your requirements (connections for MIDI, turntable, and a Mic/XLR) would be the Arturia Audiofuse: http://www.arturia.com/audiofuse/details

It's not out yet, but I will be getting one this summer.

As for something you can get right now, You might be better off finding an inexpensive standalone phono preamp that you can run into any interface that has line inputs. Then you could get just about any interface with 3-4 line inputs and MIDI ports and you'll be set. Steinberg's new interface, the UR242 is one example.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but for people looking to have both audio and ipad recording at the same time the iconnectAUDIO4+ is now shipping. No specs on latency yet but for those of us that want an all in one audio interface it looks really cool.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've got one of these:

Now, I'm not going to lie I mainly bought it because it has VU metres on it that light up but so far so good, it seems to do the job well.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Got my steinberg UR22 today, plugged it in and ran audacity in linux with it, works like a breeze, great gain, noiseless and clean. Now I just need to figure out how to get audio output from the computer back through it so I can have headphone-only bass practice :D

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
This probably doesn't need to be said but for any of you guys like me who hate troubleshooting and dealing with poo poo and have the money, just get an RME babyface. They are constantly updating it, both in firmware and drivers, and I've had absolutely no issues with it either in Win7 or Win8. To me it's worth the money, both in quality and lack of issues and compatibility.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

peter gabriel posted:

I've got one of these:

Now, I'm not going to lie I mainly bought it because it has VU metres on it that light up but so far so good, it seems to do the job well.

How have you been liking that over the time since you posted? I've been eyeballing it for a while - would like something with four inputs to pull stuff off the rackmount Yamaha four-track cassette I got because insanity.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

After The War posted:

How have you been liking that over the time since you posted? I've been eyeballing it for a while - would like something with four inputs to pull stuff off the rackmount Yamaha four-track cassette I got because insanity.

I really like it, however I am not an *#expert#* on these things so keep that in mind :)

Sound quality and latency are both spot on, build quality rocks (it's all metal) and all the dials and switches feel solid.

It needed a firmware update, but this seems pretty well known about them, that all went smoothly as well to be fair to Akai, just a download and install.

I personally like it and I could see it being amazing for recording bands live because of the 4 inputs.

Plus it looks cool!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It used to suck latency-wise on initial drivers/firmware, so I guess they addressed that then, if it's okay with guitar. I have a :allears:/:rolleyes: relationship with the gimmicky look.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Flipperwaldt posted:

It used to suck latency-wise on initial drivers/firmware, so I guess they addressed that then, if it's okay with guitar. I have a :allears:/:rolleyes: relationship with the gimmicky look.

I've found it fine, I am certain there will be people who say I am wrong, but that's just audio equipment chat for you.
So far I have recorded various guitar parts in to Cubase with it and not a whole lot more, it's done that well so I can't complain, however I would for sure hunt down recent reviews of it as other people will have better in depth takes on it than I will.
I'll be putting midi keyboards through it soon, so time will tell I guess!
It looks good in the flesh, I dunno, photos of it make it look a bit cheaper than it does, having said that it does go for a specific aesthetic that you'll either love or hate, I am a retro baboon so I love it :D

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Hey yall, my Scarlett 2i4/Laptop are being fuckers :(

I'm recording into FL Studio with the Scarlett, and what's happening is it tends to work fine for the first few minutes, and then quickly deteriorates into bad-buffer buzzing, and then just a steady loud buzz that goes until I unplug the interface. It sort of helps if I unplug it and switch FL Studio away from the Focusrite driver and back to it, but it happens again and again. Seems to happen sooner and faster each time per session.

Any ideas? It's starting to make it really hard to record, haha

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

After The War posted:

Trip report update:

DO NOT BUY AN AKAI EIE PRO

The thing is great but randomly I get this thing where all audio coming out of it sounds 'bitcrushed'

You can here it from about 35 seconds into this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18rs37g-ajU

Akai are basically all 'welp sucks to be you' about this, and it's a common issue:

http://community.akaipro.com/akai_p...on-from-outputs

So sadly I have to advise against getting one, it is great until it does this and then it just, well, it's poo poo.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

Akai are basically all 'welp sucks to be you' about this, and it's a common issue:

http://community.akaipro.com/akai_p...on-from-outputs

So sadly I have to advise against getting one, it is great until it does this and then it just, well, it's poo poo.
The biggest liability with Akai (and their sister brands, Alesis and M-Audio) right now is support. They do not fix bugs and they do not solve problems.

I had been looking at the new Akai keyboard controllers, but my experience with the buggy software that came with my Alesis V-25, and the laughably bad support I got when looking for answers/workarounds made me wary of anything they produce.

If the EIEs were reliable (I have heard complaints about driver stability elsewhere) they would be one of the best values on the market, so it is a shame.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Radiapathy posted:

The biggest liability with Akai (and their sister brands, Alesis and M-Audio) right now is support. They do not fix bugs and they do not solve problems.

I had been looking at the new Akai keyboard controllers, but my experience with the buggy software that came with my Alesis V-25, and the laughably bad support I got when looking for answers/workarounds made me wary of anything they produce.

If the EIEs were reliable (I have heard complaints about driver stability elsewhere) they would be one of the best values on the market, so it is a shame.

It's infuriating because apart from this issue it's everything I could ever want, and in all honesty I personally will put up with it, but it does absolutely stop me recommending them to anyone else and will stop me buying from them in future for sure.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Well, poo poo. And here I was just getting ready to order one as a "congratulations, you survived running a convention!" present to myself. :smith: TBH, I still may end up doing it and taking the risk - I'm willing to put up with a lot to get those four inputs. More research first, then.

EDIT - What OS are you using? It looks like this is important.

After The War fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 29, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

After The War posted:

Well, poo poo. And here I was just getting ready to order one as a "congratulations, you survived running a convention!" present to myself. :smith: TBH, I still may end up doing it and taking the risk - I'm willing to put up with a lot to get those four inputs. More research first, then.

EDIT - What OS are you using? It looks like this is important.

Windows 8 64bit
I can try it on win 7 64bit if you want me to to test it, no probs.

For me until it freaks out and gets all distorted for no reason it is brilliant, I can put up with it, but obviously it does stop me outright recommending it to people.

Turning it off and back on fixes it, but again, I can;t recommend it with a clear conscience.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

After The War posted:

I'm willing to put up with a lot to get those four inputs.
Steinberg UR242. 4 inputs, $199 USD.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've got a TC Electronic Konnekt 48. I wanted one based on some rave reviews from goons and others. I bought it used from a friend, probably around five years ago. It was rock-solid and it sounded awesome, but in the past year or so I've had some serious issues with it. Its software would hang when I'd launch Ableton, and upon force-quitting/restarting the software it would fail to detect the interface. I would have to quit my DAW and power-cycle the unit to get its proprietary software to even see it again.

Just today I bought a new, old, Mac Pro. First-generation; basically older than the iMac I used for the past five years - but significantly more powerful, and at a steal of a price. I'm hoping that it gives me the motivation I need to keep a clean production machine and begin taking songwriting seriously again. But I'm having even worse issues with the TC. Even with the same version of the TC software and the same OS (10.6.8) I'd been running with the old iMac, it seems to hang even worse. It crashes the computer entirely; the 'curtains' screen appears with a stern warning to restart in four languages. I've tried multiple arrangements of 'turn on computer/turn on interface/plug in interface/connect interface firewire' to no avail; every time the TC is on and connected, the Mac hangs.

I'm guessing this means it's time to retire the Konnekt48? I've already resigned myself to that possibility and started saving some cash for a nice Apollo or something, but I figured I'd post here in case there's some slim chance of rehabilitating my old TC.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

peter gabriel posted:

Windows 8 64bit
I can try it on win 7 64bit if you want me to to test it, no probs.

For me until it freaks out and gets all distorted for no reason it is brilliant, I can put up with it, but obviously it does stop me outright recommending it to people.

Turning it off and back on fixes it, but again, I can;t recommend it with a clear conscience.

Sorry to abandon the thread for a while, but yeah - everything I saw was people having trouble with Macs and Windows 8, so I'd be curious how it does with Win7 for you.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

After The War posted:

Sorry to abandon the thread for a while, but yeah - everything I saw was people having trouble with Macs and Windows 8, so I'd be curious how it does with Win7 for you.

So far so good but I haven't used it for extended periods, I'd still be cautious :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm in the market for a new interface. The Konnekt48 doesn't cause kernel panics anymore (see two posts above) but it still crashes occasionally, and some of the I/O doesn't work so when I begin upgrading the Mac itself I'd like to get a new Firewire (or better?) interface. I mostly work with MIDI and in-the-box stuff - a Virus TI is my workstation; even though I usually use its own USB inputs I'd like enough line ins to connect the TI's analog outs as I understand there's a latency difference. But I would like enough decent-quality pres and converters to eventually record, for example, a drum set (if I ever get mine out of storage).

I've been looking at the UAD Apollo but I feel like it's a bit overkill for my applications. Thoughts?