Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterEff
Sep 24, 2008
Just picked up the core set, and played a couple of games with the recommended Jinteki vs. Shapers. We each won a game, and decided to try different factions. I went with the Criminals, and she chose NBN. It was pretty much a slaughter in favor of the Corp, as I didn't know Criminals had no code gate icebreakers, and I was stopped pretty often by Enigmas and Tollbooths. Eventually I couldn't keep tags off me and was ground down by a scored Private Security Force agenda doing 2-3 meat damage a turn.

Are there any other good match-ups between the starter decks using only core? I.e., most fair to both players? Are there any to absolutely avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Here's a hint for your next match, if you are just using the starter decks: Crypsis, the neutral AI Icebreaker, can break any ICE.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Criminal vs NBN is in favor if the runner using the starter decks but you just have to realize you should be looking for crypsis, not a code gate breaker.

MisterEff
Sep 24, 2008
I did have Crypsis, but it was really expensive to use. One extra click and 4 credits per ICE was eventually more than I could keep up with. Another part of it is, there were a few helpful cards that I didn't pull from the stack until it was too late, like my Inside Jobs and Account Siphons.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

MisterEff posted:

I did have Crypsis, but it was really expensive to use. One extra click and 4 credits per ICE was eventually more than I could keep up with. Another part of it is, there were a few helpful cards that I didn't pull from the stack until it was too late, like my Inside Jobs and Account Siphons.

Yeah, using a single core you really need to spend influence out of faction to be competitive as Criminal. Your options are splashing in Gordian Blade and Corroder, or splashing for Corroder, Yog.0 and Datasuckers.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Anyone want to step up and create a pair of "balanced" Core set decks? I'll toss it into the second post. I'm more than capable of doing it myself, I just like to get other people involved in the OP as well.

I'd say start with Shaper vs HB as a base and add in a single copy of things like, June Bug, Snare, Inside Job, Forged Activation Orders, Parasite. Basically add in a mix of cards from the other factions that can give a new player a surprise but not totally unbalance the experience.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Anyone want to step up and create a pair of "balanced" Core set decks? I'll toss it into the second post. I'm more than capable of doing it myself, I just like to get other people involved in the OP as well.

I'd say start with Shaper vs HB as a base and add in a single copy of things like, June Bug, Snare, Inside Job, Forged Activation Orders, Parasite. Basically add in a mix of cards from the other factions that can give a new player a surprise but not totally unbalance the experience.

Balanced for Demoing, or balanced for playing between friends?

For single core games this pair serves me well.

Identity:
Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core)

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (9)
Accelerated Beta Test (Core) x3
Priority Requisition (Core) x3
Private Security Force (Core) x3

Asset: (13)
Adonis Campaign (Core) x3
Melange Mining Corp (Core) x2
PAD Campaign (Core) x3
Aggressive Secretary (Core) x2
Snare! (Core) x3 ■■

ICE: (18)
Rototurret (Core) x2
Wall of Static (Core) x2
Tollbooth (Core) x2 ■■
Ice Wall (Core) x3 ■
Ichi 1.0 (Core) x3
Enigma (Core) x3
Archer (Core) x1 ■■
Viktor 1.0 (Core) x2

Operation: (9)
Archived Memories (Core) x3
Biotic Labor (Core) x3
Hedge Fund (Core) x3
[/quote]
and

[quote]
Identity:
Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (19)
Account Siphon (Core) x2
Easy Mark (Core) x3
Infiltration (Core) x2
Inside Job (Core) x3
Sure Gamble (Core) x3
Special Order (Core) x3
Forged Activation Orders (Core) x3

Hardware: (6)
Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core) x2 ■
Desperado (Core) x1
Cyberfeeder (Core) x3 ■

Program: (15)
Corroder (Core) x2 ■■
Crypsis (Core) x3
Datasucker (Core) x2 ■
Femme Fatale (Core) x1
Mimic (Core) x2 ■
Ninja (Core) x1
Sneakdoor Beta (Core) x2
Yog.0 (Core) x2 ■

Resource: (5)
Armitage Codebusting (Core) x3
Crash Space (Core) x2

Note these really aren't demo decks though.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 8, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Look good to me! I think balanced between friends is probably what most new players are after.

Can you remove the quote tags so I can copy the URL links with the text?

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 8, 2014

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Look good to me! I think balanced between friends is probably what most new players are after.

Can you remove the quote tags so I can copy the URL links with the text?

Done.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
My card neurosis make me want three of each drat card. :emo:

This core set is mean.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
This is especially true if you want to play one of the Core set consoles for your runner, or a decent Fast-Advance deck with 3 San-San City Grids.

I only just got my second core set and I'm strongly considering a third for another Desperado for Reina and another SanSan for my NBN deck

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Hopefully the draft packs will make it more feasible to pick up just those individual cards on the secondary market instead of buying a whole extra core of cards you'll never use.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

AbortRetryFail posted:

Criminal vs NBN is in favor if the runner using the starter decks but you just have to realize you should be looking for crypsis, not a code gate breaker.
Oh man I just had memories of out of the box NBN and how lovely it is.

Karmoderm
Aug 24, 2008

Jabor posted:

Hopefully the draft packs will make it more feasible to pick up just those individual cards on the secondary market instead of buying a whole extra core of cards you'll never use.

But unfortunately we know that perhaps the most (or second most behind SanSan) important Core Set 1-of, Desperado, won't be in the draft packs at all. Source here, but warning BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1067448/the-cyber-war-draft-set-list/page/3

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Karmoderm posted:

But unfortunately we know that perhaps the most (or second most behind SanSan) important Core Set 1-of, Desperado, won't be in the draft packs at all. Source here, but warning BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1067448/the-cyber-war-draft-set-list/page/3

I know I would never draft another console if there was a chance of drawing into a Desperado.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Karmoderm posted:

Ive never read that site until this recent (for me) netrunner thing, but it doesnt seem that bad? (For netrunner.)

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

PJOmega posted:

Balanced for Demoing, or balanced for playing between friends?

For single core games this pair serves me well.

I just want to thank you (and anyone else who posts such decks, in advance) for posting these! A ton of my friends back home have fallen in love with this game. I decided to try and get some of my local Magic playgroup to give it a shot with me, but we have to have any product we want shipped internationally, so we're starting pretty small and have to make a little go a long way. I have a few Data Packs on the way over, too, but I figure we may as well get acclimated and try piecing together what we can from the Cores first. In other words this is exactly the sort of thing we're looking for!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Karmoderm posted:

quote:

In one of the blocks a guy drafted 4 or 5 data ravens and 2 scorched earths as crop and then proceeded to draft every plascrete he could find in the runner block.

This guy stole my idea.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

FRINGE posted:

Ive never read that site until this recent (for me) netrunner thing, but it doesnt seem that bad? (For netrunner.)

Just wait until you explore other games. Or read some of the more prolific poster's posts on Netrunner BGG. Lots of unproductive discussion.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

sonatinas posted:

Just wait until you explore other games. Or read some of the more prolific poster's posts on Netrunner BGG. Lots of unproductive discussion.

Most of those bad posters have settled down since none of them even made it to the cut at Worlds. Still as some one who does post there from time to time, it is an awful place and even Reddit has a better Netrunner community.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

LordNat posted:

Most of those bad posters have settled down since none of them even made it to the cut at Worlds. Still as some one who does post there from time to time, it is an awful place and even Reddit has a better Netrunner community.

Steven Tu is posting! Someone light up the Deviant-signal!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Well, BGG is the 'official forums' for Netrunner. FFG forums are worthless, Reddit is worthless, SA has 'ok' enough deck decision but a lot of holes. You don't really have much of a choice if you want to post about the game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Deviant posted:

Steven Tu is posting! Someone light up the Deviant-signal!

If you ever get so angry at that guy you decide to fly to South Africa to punch him in the face; I'll fly over and bail you out of jail.

In actual discussion; anyone have any thoughts on a Noise deck? I'm thinking Knight could be pretty helpful out of Noise now.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 8, 2014

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

If you ever get so angry at that guy you decide to fly to South Africa to punch him in the face; I'll fly over and bail you out of jail.

In actual discussion; anyone have any thoughts on a Noise deck? I'm thinking Knight could be pretty helpful out of Noise now.

I have been running Grifter in Noise this last week and have had good results. Gifter, Scheherazade, and Sahasrara can really let you keep the Mill and Run pressure. Only problems I have been running into are the "You don't get a rig" Weyland decks. Those mostly force me to just passively install Viruses and do one big run, really limiting the decks power.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
e: nevermind, got an idea

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 9, 2014

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Does Archives always exist, even at the beginning of the game if it doesn't have any ICE/upgrades/is empty? If so, that makes Sneakdoor Beta more powerful than I thought.

vvvv Thanks. And sweet avatar!

reading fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 9, 2014

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

reading posted:

Does Archives always exist, even at the beginning of the game if it doesn't have any ICE/upgrades/is empty? If so, that makes Sneakdoor Beta more powerful than I thought.

Yes, it's always there.

Edinboro_V
Jun 15, 2012
Endings are red
Endings are blue
Endings are green
When you just change the hue
So after getting slapped down hard by Fetterkey's Power Shutdown Jinteki at the last tourney, I came up with this decklist, and I was interested in seeing what you chaps thought of it, and where I might be able to make some changes.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder

Identity:
Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (17)
Account Siphon (Core) x3
Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control) x3
Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus) x3
Inside Job (Core) x2
Special Order (Core) x3
Sure Gamble (Core) x3

Hardware: (8)
Desperado (Core) x3
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead) x3
R&D Interface (Future Proof) x2 ■■

Program: (12)
Ninja (Core) x2
Sneakdoor Beta (Core) x3
Crypsis (Core) x2
Gordian Blade (Core) x1 ■■■
Magnum Opus (Core) x2 ■■
Corroder (Core) x2 ■■

Resource: (8)
Armitage Codebusting (Core) x3
Mr. Li (Future Proof) x2
Same Old Thing (Creation and Control) x3

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 4
Criminal: 56
Shaper: 11

The MO is in there because all of the pumpable breakers (Especially Crypsis and Ninja) are hungry, hungry hippos, and I figure that by the end of the mid-game, I'm going to run out of steam without something to reliably feed me money. If I could, I'd keep Sneakdoor out, but forcing the corp to ICE up both HQ and Archives is something I want to do early-game and mid-game, and does me less good the longer the game goes on. I'll be happy once they've wasted two or three pieces of ICE on each. At that point, I think I'd be OK with ditching Sneakdoor for MO, because their remotes will likely be lightly defended.

I'm open to any and all suggestion at this point, though I'd like to stay with team Crim if at all possible. Account Syphon in faction? :iia:

Edinboro_V fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 9, 2014

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I've been playing one-point Jinteki since Second Thoughts, and I've been having pretty good results. Here is what I think my current decklist is, off the top of my head:

One point Jinteki (49 cards)

Jinteki: Personal Evolution

Agenda (17)
3 Clone Retirement
2 False Lead
3 Fetal AI
3 Gila Hands Arcology
3 Profiteering
3 Unorthodox Predictions

Asset (3)
3 Snare!

Upgrade (2)
2 Hokusai Grid

Operation (11)
1 Accelerated Diagnostics
3 Celebrity Gift
3 Hedge Fund
3 Power Shutdown ••••• •
1 Precognition

Barrier (3)
1 Heimdall 2.0 •••
2 Himitsu-Bako

Code Gate (4)
2 Chum
2 Enigma

Sentry (7)
1 Archer ••
2 Grim
1 Janus 1.0 •••
2 Neural Katana
1 Swordsman

ICE (2)
2 Data Mine

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

This seems like what I am running, but there might be a few changes here and there. The way this works is pretty apparent. Last game, I scored 19 points of damage before I flatlined the runner. The runner usually is spending at least half their turn drawing. My last game was against a veteran, with over 100 games under his belt, but he still ran after I scored a Unorthodox predictions (and called Sentry) against a server with unrezzed ice. Ran face first into Janus and died. I guess that is 23 points of damage with the Janus, and 24 if you count power grid overload. 25 if you count Grim. Normally, I win by points because the runner is too busy trying to bring back their important stuff from the dead to be able to run on my remote. Once an unorthodox predictions is called, name something that you know will either kill them or stop them on the remote server. Then try to chain these babies while keeping the runner down.

I cannot wait for shock. Shock plus precognition plus power shutdown sounds killer. If I can get two or three shocks into archives, and dump 5 other cards in there, the runner needs to have seven or eight cards in their hand before even thinking about running archives. If all 5 are one point agendas, that is a 7-8 points of damage in one run.

Biggest flaw: No Jackson. I really miss him. I might clear out accelerated diagnostics. I was able to Precog/Accelerated Diag once into hedgefunds and pocket giraffes, and it was awesome, but it isn't really reliable. I could clear some big ice as well. The combo described above might account for him missing, as I actually want the runner to hit archives with a bunch of agendas if I think it will flatline him.

I am thinking about building Fetterkey's deck, then making some changes based off of what worked in this deck. The Gila hands are the least used one point agenda. If I score one, I might use it once or twice, but I only have it in there because it is a one pointer.

EDIT: Another thought is to get rid of the enigmas and not worry about their code gate breakers. Just focus on killing the sentry breakers and the barrier breakers. Chum->Data Mine is a pretty good combo, but I find runners usually stop on chum then work on breaking it/killing it with a parasite before moving on. They assume the next thing is something they wont be able to break if I rez the chum.

EDIT2: Holy cow, what if I get rid of the barriers too and focus on killing only their sentry breakers? There isn't much that can stop their run, but they will be hurting! This is a crazy idea that might just work.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 9, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Did Power Shutdown itself actually hurt you? Because you have nothing in the deck there to help you against it. With your full rig setup, you're pretty vulnerable to losing those Corroders leaving you with only Crypsis to get through Barriers which could slow you down a lot. You might consider some kind of buffer card like Lemuria Codecracker since your program MU is so tight. Armitage and Opus+Siphon seems like a lot of economy alongside everything else you're running, seems like you could cut the Opus and toss in Faerie and some Quality Times to help speed up the deck.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Here is a prototype for the Sentry-hate one-point Jinteki variant. Who needs to end the run! Its a crutch apparently! Balls to the wall!

I don't know how well it will work, but it looks neat. I need to clear room for more ice, I think, but I refuse to get rid of any one-pointers. I also want another roboturrent for its EtR.

One point Jinteki (49 cards)

Jinteki: Personal Evolution

Agenda (17)
3 Clone Retirement
2 False Lead
3 Fetal AI
3 Gila Hands Arcology
3 Profiteering
3 Unorthodox Predictions

Asset (6)
3 Jackson Howard •••
3 Snare!

Upgrade (2)
2 Hokusai Grid

Operation (9)
3 Celebrity Gift
3 Hedge Fund
3 Power Shutdown ••••• •

Barrier (1)
2 Himitsu-Bako

Sentry (13)
1 Archer ••
3 Grim
1 Ichi 1.0 ••
3 Neural Katana
2 Rototurret ••
3 Swordsman

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

EDIT: I might get rid of the two grids for a Bako and something else. I want the end the run ice, and Bakos do that while being resilient against parasites, unlike Roboturrents. I want that EtR ice near the server, and make them suffer the sentries on the outside.

EDIT 2: I could also get rid of a Pocket Giraffe. The big expensive ice is gone, so I don't really need that much money. I might kill the two grids and a giraffe for the three Shocks when that arrives. Then I don't need to waste a EtR ice on archives.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 9, 2014

Edinboro_V
Jun 15, 2012
Endings are red
Endings are blue
Endings are green
When you just change the hue

PaybackJack posted:

Did Power Shutdown itself actually hurt you? Because you have nothing in the deck there to help you against it.

I was running singleton copies of the Anarch breakers against it. Losing a sucker, then another one, then Corroder a turn or two after that made Andy a very sad girl. Running at least another copy of Corroder means its' a loss of four cards and two out of three potential Shutdowns to completely kill it off, which I think I'm fairly OK with.

PaybackJack posted:

With your full rig setup, you're pretty vulnerable to losing those Corroders leaving you with only Crypsis to get through Barriers which could slow you down a lot. You might consider some kind of buffer card like Lemuria Codecracker since your program MU is so tight. Armitage and Opus+Siphon seems like a lot of economy alongside everything else you're running, seems like you could cut the Opus and toss in Faerie and some Quality Times to help speed up the deck.

My kingdom for a good zero, one, or two cost piece of Criminal hardware. Cortez Chip is cost zero, but I'm not running FAO, so I don't have any cards that really synergise well with it, and I hate, hate, hate the idea of tossing in programs / hardware that are nothing but Shutdown bait. Good decks should be good by themselves, rather than playing against any particular archetype present in your meta.

I'm not married to the idea of using Opus, but I feel like it's the only thing that shores up my weakness towards the end of match ups. Armitage is great, but I can't count on it being around forever. Maybe I'll cut one of MO and find some space to put a pair of Quality times in there. Drawing that's not reliant on Mr. Li would be good.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Newbie question: In order to kill a runner with 5 cards in his/her hand, does the Corp need to do 5 or 6 damage?

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Newbie question: In order to kill a runner with 5 cards in his/her hand, does the Corp need to do 5 or 6 damage?

6, the killing blow comes from them having to discard a card while having none in their hand

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

6, the Runner flatlines when they are forced to discard a card and are unable to.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

ZorajitZorajit posted:

6, the Runner flatlines when they are forced to discard a card and are unable to.

Rarely comes up, but if you manage to take 6 brain damage without flatlining you will at end of turn.

In other words, your hand size can be reduced below 0 and your end of turn discard will kill you.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So it wasn't tournament-grade and my opponents spent a lot of time having awful draw luck, but I won every one of the three full games I played tonight as CT/Weyland T&B.

Highlight of the evening was drawing four agendas and Foxfire as my starting hand, then mulliganing into this:

I still won, but mostly due to my opponent in that game buying my lovely bluff about having no agendas, then choosing not to run on the completely exposed Takeovers I left in the open without ICE for an entire turn each.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I watched this Netrunner 2013 world championship video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8fRWlhVAYA

and I had several questions. First, the runner has few icebreakers and just relies on face checking ice many times. Isn't that super dangerous? There are a lot of vicious ice subroutines out there! How did they know that this NBN deck mostly just put out cheap, semi-harmless ice?

Second, why did the runner not run more often against HQ or the remote servers?

And finally, the announcers said that the NBN player discarded 3 agendas into his archives, why the heck did he do that? Seems like a huge risk with only rototurret there. Can a pro explain rototurret to me? It seems weak against any kind of sentry ice breaker because of that 0 str.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

So it wasn't tournament-grade and my opponents spent a lot of time having awful draw luck, but I won every one of the three full games I played tonight as CT/Weyland T&B.

Highlight of the evening was drawing four agendas and Foxfire as my starting hand, then mulliganing into this:

I still won, but mostly due to my opponent in that game buying my lovely bluff about having no agendas, then choosing not to run on the completely exposed Takeovers I left in the open without ICE for an entire turn each.
In my first tournament I threw down a completely unprotected APP as TWIY* on my first turn after icing up R&D and clicking for a credit, the guy didn't even look at it, he was too busy doing his first turn Crims of setting up his little Kati Jones and stuff.

It wasn't a very long game to say the least. But that starting hand of yours is grissly as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

reading posted:

I watched this Netrunner 2013 world championship video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8fRWlhVAYA

and I had several questions. First, the runner has few icebreakers and just relies on face checking ice many times. Isn't that super dangerous? There are a lot of vicious ice subroutines out there! How did they know that this NBN deck mostly just put out cheap, semi-harmless ice?

Second, why did the runner not run more often against HQ or the remote servers?

And finally, the announcers said that the NBN player discarded 3 agendas into his archives, why the heck did he do that? Seems like a huge risk with only rototurret there. Can a pro explain rototurret to me? It seems weak against any kind of sentry ice breaker because of that 0 str.

I think he put the 3 agendas in archives in order to get them out of his hand, since he could trash Jackson Howard to send them back to R&D.

• Locked thread