Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Tomahawk posted:

Jimmy is really good at improv humor, and that's why he's a god drat genius on the show. His prepared standup material is honestly really lackluster and every time I saw him, he was a thousand times funnier when he was just riffing with the audience than when he's doing his "didya hear about this" jokes.

I feel the same way. Saw him live once and it wasn't bad or anything, but nowhere near as funny as he is on the show.

I also loved the song lyric bit from Friday's show. Their reaction to the AC/DC Highway to Hell playthrough was classic. All of them thinking the guy was full of poo poo and then do a 180 immediately. I'll never hear that song the same way again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Visidan posted:

Mic, headphone and phone trouble for the first 3 hours. Opie threw the wireless mouse at a window every time a call dropped until it broke, the replacement was a non-usb ball mouse from 90's that they needed to find an adapter for. They got everything fixed just in time for a Lady Di call.

Whoo kid showed up a few minutes before the show ended with T.I. and they went 50 minutes overtime, it was funny as hell.

Overtime was great but I just can't get into Lady Di. She's had some funny moments but calls like today are killing her for me. She just rambled for half an hour and they didn't even get in good jokes at her expense. I wish they'd figure out quicker in a phone call that she has nothing to bring for that day and cut her short.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mousetrench posted:

Any Stern listeners know what the deal with this Hanzi guy is who called up O&A about 9/11? Is he doing a bit or is he legit crazy?

@ 24:50 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un8V-BmKOM8

He's crazy but the stuff on Stern is mainly a bit. He used to call into Artie's show and sounds nothing like he did on Howard.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I know Opie considers himself a radio genius but doing 2+ hours watching videos that the audience can't see wasn't entertaining.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Amphion posted:

Oh god Jimmy asking the hockey player "When did you start puckin'?" was so embarrassing and funny.

I laughed a good 5 minutes at this.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ozza posted:

I loved the KFC bit. O&A seem to do really well when they've got a comedian guest in studio and spend a half hour concentrating on one weird news story. They do significantly less well when they've got no comedian guest and spent three hours concentrating on one political story.

I agree. They should really push harder to bring in funny people, even if the audience doesn't know who they are. Jimmy and Ant really step up their game when someone is in studio and it usually keeps Opie quiet. The KFC bit was hilarious. Dan Soder is really funny on the show.

One of my biggest Opie complaints is when there is some hilarious riffing going on between guests, Ant, and Jimmy, he butts in by going to the phones. Everyone's on a roll and you hear "let's see what Robert in Atlanta has to say".

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Anytime something funny happens he jumps in with "this is how you do radio" or "this bit turned out to be great". He's always trying to throw in radio lingo and talk up how much he knows or who he knows in the industry. I hate the weird meta-analysis throughout the show. He seriously sounds like a 20 year old college radio DJ trying to impress his friends.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Is Ant still allowed to do a LFTC? With the show being on vacation until next week he must be dying for an outlet to let it out. If anyone follows his twitter or channel regularly enough please post in here because that's a show I don't wanna miss.

I think he is but he isn't allowed to talk about it on the show.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is the show off today because of this or was it planned?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If Ant is gone the show is over. Jim has other stuff going on and just doesn't seem as invested in the show. Opie just isn't good. Hoping it blows over as I don't really have any other reason to hang on to SiriusXM if they're gone.

I'd love for Ant and Jimmy to do a podcast together where they bring in a new comedian each week to shoot the poo poo with.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

All the media outlets they trashed hard for years are going with this. They have shredded the NYDN on the show. And if Harvey Levin puts up one of his question tweets this reaches peak irony.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kevyn posted:

I just find it hard to believe that nobody, whether it be Opie or Jim or management, sat Ant down at some point over the last five years and said "look man, even if this poo poo doesn't get us fired, it's causing us to hemorrhage listeners by the thousands. What are you doing?"

It doesn't seem like SiriusXM gives a poo poo about the show.

I think the likely outcome is Ant gets suspended indefinitely and they just let the contract run out in October.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They'll still get comedians. It's a good place to promote shows. If Sirius doesn't react, they'll move on to the next target. It's not that big of a show.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Why would people cancel before Monday? It's bound to be an interesting show unless they put it on some temporary hiatus while they re-tool.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there any decent morning talk on SiriusXM now? Just can't get into Howard since he got on AGT (and is barely in studio anymore). Maybe they are throwing in the towel with talk as podcasts get more popular. Unless they have something creative planned to replace Anthony, I think I'm out next week.

Is there any chance they splurge and bring in a friend of the show to replace Anthony? Bill Burr, Colin, Dan Soder, etc? Obviously not right away but maybe if they want to keep Opie and Jim around past October. Norton and Friends can finally be a reality.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I went to the Sirius facebook page and like every single post has a response with this dumb loving thing in it.

Click on the "Photos of SiriusXM" tab in their photos section. Highly NSFW if you do go there. Reminds me of what the pests used to do during Jocktober.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Wasn't Opie the one that got them fired for the April Fools prank? I could have sworn he said it was his idea and felt bad afterwards.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't know why some of you think it'd be hard to fill-in Anthony's spot with a comic. I mean Anthony was supposedly making $3 million a year. Even at half of that, you'd have to think some comedian would take it especially since they can still do gigs on the weekends.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Since we're contemplating the end of the show, what's everyone favorite O&A moments?

One of my favorites was when they were loving with the Tony Danza show. Anthony did a spot-on impersonation of Danza and they'd have Erock give the phone to fans outside his studio and ask for sexual favors. Think it ended with a confrontation with a security guard that made for some good radio too. Thoughts and prayers.......thoughts and prayers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7gJPuKs8aQ

There is also probably 50 segments with Patrcie you could throw in there. I loved them critiquing country songs. Also anytime they'd talk movies with Patrice and Jim it was great. I remember the time Jim talked Patrice out of liking the movie Face-Off.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

CrashCat posted:

If it ends up being the Opie and Sam show I just won't listen. Sam is genius but I cannot handle him in large doses, he has a very short shelf life in any given show before he gets to annoying me even worse than Opie at his flow-crushingest.

I think Sam would be a decent replacement for Opie, but not Anthony. He's much more in-tune with pop culture and is actually good at interviewing celebrities. Opie at this stage just seems out of tough with what's going on in the news. His contributions these days is complaining about equipment which makes for terrible radio and going to the phones which are 90% of the time terrible calls.

Opie was good in the past because he had no conscience. He'd trash a celebrity to their face and wasn't afraid of making everyone uncomfortable. It made for great radio that he just didn't give a poo poo. He's mellowed out a lot which is expected with age, but it sort of killed his biggest contribution to the show.

Which reminds me, one of my favorite segments was their interview with Tucker Max when they called him out on his bullshit. This was what Opie was great at.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The splash at the end of the song.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If they can do what Carolla did but on the East Coast it would be interesting. Create a little podcast network with themselves and other comedians based out of New York.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What kind of deals do they offer when you cancel? If it's just a month (which I think it was in the past), screw that.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Harlock posted:

Someone on my Facebook who has been very vocal about #standwithant says that Sirius is charging people to cancel now? Is that true?

That didn't happen to me, although it was a pain in the rear end. They offered me 3 months free but I know I'd forget to cancel it and get dinged for a renewal.

They do seem coached on the O&A stuff. When they asked why I was cancelling I said I was only really using it for Howard and O&A. Now that O&A is done and Howard doesn't do the show much, I just won't be using it. He said the show wasn't going away and it was just going to be changing a bit and the company had some exciting new things in store for it. Probably bullshit but who knows. I am paid through the end of the month so I'll get to hear how bad it is next week.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think there is going to be big money for many people in radio these days. Even if they renewed, it likely wouldn't have been for as much.

He can still make a decent living off a podcast. His following is likely as big as Carolla's was when he got fired. There is probably a way to turn it into a live show format and he has a ton of comedian friends he can bring in as guests. Basically if you can get a loyal audience behind something, you can find ways to monetize it.

I also wouldn't be surprised if a new or existing podcast company with some VC money made a play for the guy after their contract is up.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think a video podcast of him and another comedian watching the worst reality TV has to offer would be highly entertaining.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Most of the sponsors are affiliate based. So as long as the audience types his name into the box at checkout or clicks an Amazon link off his page he will be fine.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I liked the shock-jock stuff when I was in high school. Just don't care for it anymore. It was unique back then but now you can find that crap anywhere with YouTube.

The show was at its best when it was them and maybe a comedian riffing on stuff. Just throwing them a topic and letting them go with it. I also loved when they would dissect other shows. Jocktober was great and they also do a good job making fun of stuff like reality TV.

I'd be into a podcast where Anthony has some funny guests over and they shoot the poo poo. But wacky stunts is dated crap.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think they are done at SiriusXM. Seemed iffy if they were even going to come back before this went down. The new show is going to be awkward and not as funny. And it never felt like they were considered an important part of the future of the company.

One thing Opie mentioned was how he felt he was in the worst position. He's got to do a lame duck show for a few months and who knows what happens from there. While Ant will have a new show and a boatload of media attention before it launches.

Still think they will all be back together at some point. Lot of VC money flowing into the podcast industry right now and someone will take a huge swing on them to launch a network.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

T Bowl posted:

Anthony isn't going to have a "boat load of media attention" for his lovely new show, sorry. I fully expect Sirius to offer them a new contract, I will be surprised if they don't.

He already got a boat load of media attention. I imagine a lot of people's first thought when they heard the news was "that show is still on the air?". Sounds like he's going to do a bit of a tour of the major podcasts, maybe some small TV stuff like RedEye. I don't think the show is going to be big or anything, or even good, but it's the most visibility he's gotten in over a decade which is a better spot than where Opie is at.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Opie won't have a radio show come October. At that point he'll be the least talented of the 3 with no buzz and no real options.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I was never huge fans of Bobo and Di. I mean they had great moments and in small doses were hilarious, but some of the stuff got run into the ground. But I love shows like today where it's just a bunch of funny people shooting the poo poo. Still think Opie and Jim by themselves will be bad, but if they can bring in a weekly guest that is funny, the show can hold its own.

Anthony's show will likely be terrible but the first week or so might be great if he just shits all over Sirius and throws out some dirt from behind the scenes.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ChristianDB posted:

I am not understanding the constant Opie..love. Has it shifted 180 and he's actually pretty good or are you guys just desperate in the hopes that the show is good enough to be resigned.

The show is usually good when there are 2 or more funny people in the room. It's why it typically had a huge dropoff when Ant or Jim wasn't around. And the best were when guys like Patrice, Louis CK, and so on were in studio.

I don't think there is a lot of Opie love (although a couple people here seem to like him more) here. He has his moments from time to time but struggles to keep up with real comedians. The show was great today because the guests are good and understand how the show works.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

His studio equipment is likely more modern than what they are using at Sirius from the looks of it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The song Cranberries - Dreams came on the radio today and I immediately thought of the show. Does anyone remember what segment they played it on and were talking over? I think it involved Patrice and I remember hearing it live and being in tears laughing. I think they used it a few times but this one stuck out the most.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Dave posted:

Ant is testing the show right now:
https://www.anthonycumia.com/livefeed

I'm surprised how nice the show looks. Green screens can do wonders. If it's them just talking about TV shows and movies playing it could be real funny. Will he have a co-host or just do this solo?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

"Get over it" is my favorite byte over the last few years. They overdid it at times but sometimes it popped up at the perfect time and was hysterical.

Can't remember the exact episode it was but Jimmy had a serious rant about something and was really angry. After he stopped the room was silent for a second and then it hit and everyone just died laughing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

How Much Art posted:

Can somebody please explain why Andy Kindler is a genius? He's respected by lots of people, alt-comics and "regular" comics alike, but I've tried and tried to understand his appeal and simply don't get it.

I don't get it either. He's about as mediocre a stand-up as I've seen. I know the bitter comedian who hates all the mainstream comics is his shtick, but it comes across as jealous and sort of pathetic.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Dave posted:

His potential earnings are probably greater trying to be the next big right-wing personality versus going for the comedy podcast.

But he's legitimately funny. I get it for people with no talent but if you're an incredibly funny person, you should do a comedy podcast, not a political one. Carolla did the same thing for awhile where he pushed his podcast to be more political and it just sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

How many live viewers is he getting for the show? I saw 6,000 in the screenshots of the first show which I guess isn't bad.

• Locked thread