Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kevyn posted:

How the hell did this bitchass squabbling make fuckin' Newsweek?
You apparently missed the reboot of Newsweek a while back where they became viral clickbait reporters instead of serious news. They merged with The Daily Beast in 2010 and steadily shed any evidence of the old Newsweek since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i think it's hilarious that after YEARs of jocktober, staff fights, guest fights, a billion comics trashing each other, everyone likes to act like they're above the shittalking now that it's the two hosts going at it, lol
The way Anthony is handling it is probably the most appropriate given how they used to deal with both other people's dirty laundry and their own. poo poo, the guy wore a garbage bag and made a Human Garbage logo for gently caress's sake. He might have the most angry words to say but he also seems to be having the most fun with it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Under the vegetable posted:

"I might have said friend of the family on air, about black people, scores of times, but I was just trying to start a discussion."
To be honest if the company was too loving cowardly to tell Anthony what a painfully obvious racist he is then they deserve what they got

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Call Me Charlie posted:

Gail's sitting in on this Ron & Fez best of. And they played audio of little Gail calling in and doing a bit on Ron & Ron.
So that Gail as replacement cohost announcement is a shoe-in, right? Then we just have to get Opie to quit radio and my prophecy is nearly complete

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Under the vegetable posted:

*Ron and Gail have a conversation about 70s bands*

ugh this too cool for the room poo poo has to stop. i can't relate. who even ever heard of neil young
Great, there's one show. Good thing they don't have to do weeks of this poo poo

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

T Bowl posted:

So Ron's totally green and not very good at radio daughter is now a radio host on a national platform, because of Ron? Gross.
Compared to no co-host/Zero Fez? Still an improvement

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

How Much Art posted:

I will miss the Fez torture though.
The first couple of years, when Ron could actually work with Fez's sickness, were pretty alright. Eventually though it just became like kicking a crippled puppy. He would still do it now and then to prove he could but it was worthless to do so and needlessly mean (though probably not as mean as Fez needed).

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

gently caress, I forgot how busy and unlistenable regular radio comedy shows are

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tr33 posted:

lol those guys suck real bad
I made it through about two minutes. Suppose I should have skipped ahead

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Jesus Christ Monday's show.......listening to where they say Florentine made TMZ and he goes "Yeah, well I didn't want to talk about it" and then stupid loving Opie starts reading the story right after he said he didn't want to talk about it. Then goes into the details of the settlement and Florentine isn't talking and you can just tell he's annoyed. Then they keep talking and Opie is like "Well, what happened"........BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO.....but what happened.
So Opie listened to the Hypnotized Fez bit again too?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Call Me Charlie posted:

Gotta get some TMZ heat.

Wait until you get to the part of the show where Opie basically begs Bob Saget for a scoop on the Full House revival on Netflix.
I don't understand Opie's obsession with getting the 'scoop' on something. He's supposed to be the radio expert, doesn't he know that the audience who would find out about him from that news wouldn't give a gently caress about the Opie and Whoever The gently caress Is Left Show?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ANYONE ELSE HEAR THAT THOUGH? SAM?! I'm not just manufacturing poo poo because I got a mushmouthed caller who can't get a word in edgewise!!! TAKE THAT HATERS!!!

Damnit Opie.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I can't imagine watching a show made up of characters someone invented particularly to annoy people.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

T Bowl posted:

I wish my dad was a radio host so I could just walk into a hosting job at Sirius XM.
That would mean dealing with Fez all your life, though.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tr33 posted:

It's really weird Opie keeps saying "in this new world we live in". What's new about it? You say the fword or the n word or beat up hookers whatever, you get fired. I mean theyve been covering Warren Sapp type stories for years and years but to Opie "it's a strange new world." I dunno just something that's been annoying me.
With the Internet and social media overanalyzing and quickly spreading any problematic speech there is much less leeway in that area than back when he was in broadcast radio.

Yeah, that's all.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Call Me Charlie posted:

Which is stupid because the Ron & Ron show use to be talked about in the newspaper all the time and made national news over a band named Dead German Tourists.

The only difference now is that everything is worldwide instead of regional and there's a million sites that will repeat a story instead of a handful of outlets.
They used to get news for the bad poo poo they did but ultimately it would blow over and they would get more listeners instead of fired. I understand this, it's how O&A made their bones to begin with and the only reason they were ever put on the radio station where I first heard them. Now instead of getting someone more popular, the offended people shitstorm will feed itself until someone gets fired.

I'm not going to offer a judgement on whether that's good or bad, but that's what Opie was talking about.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Call Me Charlie posted:

Anita Bryant had her career destroyed by gay activists. Ron & Ron were hassled by local police at live events. As Nasty As They Wanna Be was targeted for obscenity. Ice-T had to remove Cop Killer from his album. Opie & Anthony were fired twice for stunts they pulled.

None of this is new or unique to one side. It's just that all the power has been consolidated into these spineless corporations who fold at the first sign of trouble.
Yeah, those are good facts and I think you have a better analysis there.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Call Me Charlie posted:

Sorry about that. I can come off a bit strong when I'm really, really bored.
Haha well I was also talking out my rear end, I do that a lot

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I was gonna go with "rear end blood bagel guy" but I think yours is better

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Disappointing Pie posted:

Even though it's in pretty rough shape I wonder if this whole situation makes my mousepad a collector's item.

It's a pretty good metaphor for the show at the end, actually

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Surprised you were even able to switch radios online, it used to be you could add one online but you absolutely had to call if you were going to do anything that deactivated a radio such as replacing it with a new one. Though I believe even back then there was a fee for that.

The online limit thing is dumb too but pretty standard. Still you would think they could offer you a second online connection for a small fee. I don't even know what you can do about that besides call them up and bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stokes posted:

Did you see them burn down a Rite-Aid and poke holes in the fireman's hose as they were trying to put it out?
I thought it was a CVS.

Was that an Opie enough defense for ya

• Locked thread