Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ugh, the Democratic primary campaign for NY State Assembly that I'm the volunteer coordinator for isn't going to have work for me until around July because of lack of funds. The primary is in September. It's a shame that my candidate is sitting around twiddling her thumbs instead of getting out there and making herself known in the community, because the incumbent gets Wall Street money and proposes bills while not voting for them. Also he had a DUI last July. Maybe the State Senate campaign for the open seat in Brooklyn that I applied for as finance director for will get back to me.

There's a reason why I'm applying to nonprofits so that I can do fundraising elsewhere, and it's exactly this.

Edit: The campaign manager is someone that I worked with on a couple of city-level campaigns last year. He better be working on something.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My campaign is now without a manager. I worked with this guy on a couple of city-level campaigns last year, and he's a smart guy, so I figured that he'd help out a lot for this one. He also wants to start his own Long Island-based consulting firm, so he's trying to establish that as well. Unfortunately, he was more heavily focused on the latter and went to the Working Families Party convention while telling our candidate to not come. She found out, and she let him go.

Also, gently caress Andrew Cuomo and the WFP's spineless endorsement of him.

Edit: But it's not like my candidate is hitting the ground running. Her campaign literature doesn't have the date of the state Democratic primary, and there are no Spanish-language flyers, which is vital in a heavily Hispanic district. Next time she should move to the district where I just moved out of, since the incumbent there is in some hot water right now (so is the incumbent here, but lobbyist money trumps a DUI).

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 12, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I might be getting a (very lowly) paid position on a city District Leader campaign. I'm surprised that I get money for it because in New York, the district leader is unpaid.

GlyphGryph posted:

If I work a full time job, is it worth reaching out and volunteering? Can I even be useful? How would I even get started?
The answer to the first two questions is: absolutely! If you have a spare couple of hours on a weekend, go out there and support a local candidate that you can support. The state-level campaigns are starting to heat up since the primary dates are later than the federal-level primaries, so now is the perfect time to get involved. Most campaigns get their volunteers doing phonebanking or canvassing, and both are specifically targeted towards registered Democrats or Republicans, so you won't just be calling random numbers or knocking on every door, you'll be talking to people who just need to be persuaded to vote for your candidate.

To get started, check out which candidates are running in your town, city, county, etc. all the way up to the state level and go to the candidate website. They usually have a contact person somewhere on it that you can email, and that person should get you set up.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Just wanted to say that if you're in New York State, please resist the temptation to vote for Hawkins. You're going to have to vote for Cuomo on the WFP line if you want to ensure any meaningful change in the future. I did it, and I'm not proud that I did, but it had to be done.

• Locked thread