Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This thread seems to be mostly for working on campaigns, but would anybody be able to answer some (probably) basic questions about being a candidate? Maybe extrapolate from what you've seen some traits that winners have in common? I'm still in college, looking to get into politics, and curious as to how to prepare myself for working in politics and where/how I need to try to build a name for myself. If not, can anyone recommend where to look for this kind of info? Do I just have to Wiki every member of my state's and the US legislature? I'm guessing elected officials don't have their own forum where they post tips and tricks...

Quick background: live in Anchorage, Alaska; Economics major at local uni; eventually would want to hit national stage, but no doubt I will need to start in the local arena and coming from Nowheresville my chances of ever being somebody nationally are slim-to-none

Education: Would switching to Political Science be more useful? If not, are there at least some PoliSci classes that I should be taking for the useful knowledge? What about school clubs? Is having a degree from a non-Ivy League gonna torpedo me later? Does education matter at all compared to job experience?

Job Experience: Is it common for future candidates to work on others' campaigns to make connections, or would my time be better spent elsewhere? If so, where? And what are my best options for getting those positions? How about working for an incumbent? My school offers internships for seniors (I'm not a senior yet), but I'm guessing they are more errand-boy jobs than anything else. Still worth it for the resume?

Extra-curricular: The state capital, and thus the state legislature, is a remote town only accessible by plane. As in: I can't go a hang out there to get a feel for how things operate. Assuming I'll need to start in a city race of some sort, is worrying about State pointless? Would I benefit from going to all the city council meetings and presentations by state officials, when they're in town?

I know this is a lot to ask, but honestly I don't know where to even start looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread