Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So what is the general 'hiring' time for paid full-time campaign workers? I'm thinking entry-level volunteer organizers, office work, etc kinds of things; more or less one or two rungs on the ladder. I am out of the states currently and will be coming back in early September, which I think might be past the time to get hired for the Fall elections. I'm wanting to do it because of the connections to be made and long hours (good for saving up school money).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, I'm still in the PC. Our CoS dates are August 15 to September 15 and early CoS is out of the question. The August dates will be taken up by people going to Graduate school in the fall, so I won't be able to leave until at least September 1st or so.

I thought it would end up being something like this, but I'll keep looking around for politics jobs in NC, several big races going on there right now, so I'm sure I can find something. I mostly want some Washington/NC gov level connections for when I finish my MPA in the spring so coming in at all would be nice.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I wasn't looking for a direct job, exactly. I've already got non-competitive eligibility for Federal jobs in DC thanks to the Peace Corps, plus the MPA I will be finishing in 2015, so I'm not at all worried about getting a job in DC. I was looking more for starting up my network of contacts more than anything for the moderate/long-term.

To put the thread off this slight derail:

When a campaign is finished, what typically happens in the month or so afterwards? Does the campaign get rid of most people not needed to finish sending off checks for services/ads/workers, or is it more of a gradual wind down?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Good to know the GOP has been working hard on their internal polling and IT infrastructure! 2016 is a shoe-in for them! :911:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

So I couldn't find a political job before coming back, and got just a normal job. But I am still interested in volunteering for local/state campaigns here. The only thing is that I am unaffiliated.Do parties actually care if volunteers are actually in the party or not? If needed, I can change to Democrat when I register to vote (and probably should as I plan to run for office in 5-10 years), but I enjoy not being within a party for the moment.

The local party would be the best place to contact to find volunteer ops, right? Hopefully I can get a nice door-to-door or phone bank thing going to meet some folks.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

So I've been trying to contact the Democratic parties here in NC see if I can help them in these last few weeks of campaigning, but I have yet to have any contact with them. What are other options for helping to volunteer, try contacting the campaigns directly maybe instead of through the local parties?

GlyphGryph posted:

I feel like I accomplished something approaching nothing for all the effort, but I got two, maybe three people who were undecided to go for Coakley? Or at least said they would. They could have just been getting rid of me.

Wait, people go for Coakley? :raise:

Apparently the only person worse at campaigning than her is that Bush-WH aide running for Senate in Michigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The presidential race is coming up next year and so is the Tea Party 2010 wave senate elections. I'm guessing that getting in with a party now is probably a good idea to build up trust to get a good position on high profile campaigns?

• Locked thread