Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

What are some "cheap tricks" or underhanded poo poo that any of you have personally seen in campaigns? I'm always interested in stories of political bad behavior.

This question is ridiculously old, but I'm gonna answer it anyway. I did some volunteering during the last Presidential election, both for Obama and for a candidate running for US Representative, since the campaigns shared an office. One of the things we were told to do while canvassing was to offer to collect absentee ballots and get them delivered. From what I saw, this seemed to be fairly effective, as a lot of people had forgotten about their ballots entirely, and would fill them out while I waited. I helped with this for a few days, until one night an FO for our opponent managed to snag an interview with one of the local news stations. During the interview, he warned people about unscrupulous individuals posing as election officials trying to collect their absentee ballots, and that they should call the police if someone was attempting this in their neighborhood. Technically, what he said was true. Election officials are not going to come by to pick up ballots, but it is completely legal for campaign workers to do so. The news station thought this was a helpful bit of non-partisan advice, and repeated it every time election coverage came up. The local newspaper had a short article about it as well. All of a sudden, people were telling us to gently caress off, and the cops did show up and hassle a few volunteers while they were out canvassing. When we tried to contact the news about it, they were reluctant to correct themselves, as they felt it would muddle the message. After a couple days, our FO just said "gently caress it" and told us to avoid bringing up ballots entirely.

Our candidate ended up losing. :smith:

Baronash fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread