Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big business man
Sep 30, 2012

I also have quite a bit of politics/campaigning experience! I've worked on union GOTV campaigns, issue campaigns, and electoral campaigns. I started out as a lowly volunteer canvasser and have slowly worked my way up the 'totem pole,' so I definitely can relate to the difficulty/tediousness of just starting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Yeah, some of my closest friends here in the DC area are people I met during the 2012 campaigns.

FWIW, several of my friends who've worked for Grassroots Campaigns say it's borderline scammy. They were working as canvass directors/asst canvass directors making ~$400/week (while working 70-80+ hours) and were in many cases expected to use their own money to purchase office/campaign supplies, and were often chastised by the national level staff if they called asking for any sort of assistance or support.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

tbp posted:

I'd like to add that if you are interested in working campaigns, Moose is a good guy to ask, he's very confidential and gave me advice regardless of political affiliation.

I hope so! I was recently hired for a MD state assembly race as a field director/campaign manager that I found off of tommanatosjobs.com (great site for people looking for work, requires a subscription though) but it didn't end up working out. I've been applying to just about every campaign related job near the DC area off of that site, idealist, and jobsthatareLEFT and haven't had too much luck past a few dead end interviews. I'd like to think I have a decent amount of experience, too: 5 cycles, a handful of internships, and now I work in strategic campaigning for a labor union. :emo:

quote:

I agree with the bonds thing, I didn't think so at first but I ended up in charge of a county for my race (our most important one too, what a dumbass mistake lol) and the kid that worked with me became a great friend because we were sitting across from eachother for 80 hours a week lol

Also I developed a coffee dependency (I hate caffeine normally ) and a mild cigarette addiction during my time working so that was cool. Also an intern I hired smoked a joint in front of me which was also cool

Hahaha I had to fire several staff members during the 2012 campaigns for weed, apparently it's a good idea to leave a backpack full of weed stinking up our campaign office while you go canvassing??? Also had to fire a couple canvassers who were sneaking off and hooking up rather than actually canvass

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

So what's the joke with the lawn signs? I'm honestly asking.

I'm guessing that they are not quite as effective as some would say or hope?

They're not effective at all. Campaigns that rely on them are usually hilariously low effort

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

I don't want to phone bank. I don't want to knock on doors. I don't want to canvass. I'm totally willing to help out, though. Can I have a yard sign? Or maybe a few bumper stickers?

• Locked thread