Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've just been asked to help out a few counties over with the state party's coordinated campaign. The location of the office has yet to be fixed and the CC doesn't know if it'll end up with its own place or if it'll share space with a local congressional campaign. For anyone who has gone through this already, what are some of the best things to do this early on, when everything's in a flux?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Long hours at minimum wage with no break, sitting in a windowless office trying to reach quotas day after day. No, higher-ups say, we won't do the door-to-door canvasing, that'll be the volunteers we recruit. Visibility events? We'll still be holed up in the office. That "frequent travel required" thing in the job description? Eventually maybe you'll get your own office in part of the county, where you'll be holed up doing more quotas. You don't interact with the campaign, you treat the press like the plague and this is basically your life until November.

Goddamn, I thought at least we'd get out at some points during this thing.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

During the first introductory day of work, everybody really emphasized the chain of command. What if our direct boss is already breaking into fits of nervous giggling and we still haven't found anyone who will tell us straight what our pay is? What's the best way to actually break the chain of command?

What if 3/4 of a county's FOs are this far away from mutiny already

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 21, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Concerned Citizen posted:

is this a statewide or local?
Statewide, although allegedly our regional office has been remarkably unlucky. Today we at least have a proper office (previously we operated out of a nearby Panera and McDonalds), although we have no proper internet access. One of the other FOs, bless her, worked her cell into a hotspot and so we have slowish wifi out of that, for the time being.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

We are supposed to get breaks for meals, right? Like, I get that we need to devote all our energies to getting out the vote, but we should be getting breaks for lunch and dinner, right?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

There's no primaries that we have to be concerned about, and primarily all we seem to be doing is phone banking to build up volunteers. We're not even doing that good a job of it- the paper lists have a depressingly low rate of return, and nobody seems to've bothered properly stocking VB. Wouldn't it be more useful for us to physically go out and attend local party meetings, and just try to get people from those face-to-face contacts in groups we know are already interested in seeing us succeed?

Or just something, goddamn anything else. Thus far it all seems less organized than it ought to be, no one's ready to say anything about pay, and they're trying to retain us by keeping us occupied in a holding pattern of busywork calls to numbers that don't answer.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

G-Hawk posted:

1. it sounds like your campaign is a shitshow
2. the "busywork calls" are what actually works, local party meetings are mostly a waste of time
3. But, it sounds like they havent actually explained any of this to you or the logic and way field works, which, #1

Yesterday I got one (1) scheduled volunteer out of ten or so hours of calling, and out of something like 14 contacts total and about 300 dials. I (or any other FO) could've gotten one volunteer from attending one of the party meetings going on last night, and it wouldn't have taken 10 hours or cost the party 10 hours' worth of wages.

I get that, for the most part, phone banking is an effective overall strategy for reaching quotasgoals, but what training and pitching was done to us beforehand couldn't have conveyed how numbing it all is. Some FOs like myself got proper training through some related programs run by the state party organization, but others haven't and have since decimated lists by confusing the code for 'disconnect' with 'deceased'.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Xanderg posted:

If your numbers are accurate then you have some terrible data OR you are in a non-battleground state that doesn't have any sort of serious field infrastructure. Probably a combination of both to be honest. Are you pulling lists based on when people are home? (calling people 55 and older during the day and 54 and under at night?)
What happened there is that we switched to a broader tier of numbers that had been printed out, every name in alphabetical order-- our more reliable and polished tier was done strictly through votebuilder, except either we're amazing or somebody mucked up the data*, because an hour into yesterday's work VB suddenly told us we had called everyone. The coarser data was what we fell back on, after a few moment's worrying and the RFD making some calls.

New data was loaded into VB last night. We would've used the better numbers today, except the FO who's been using her tethered phone as a hotspot was sick and so we had no wifi in the office again (the staff at Panera are very generous, thankfully). Allegedly we'll have proper internet access in the office tomorrow and won't even have to rely on phone-based hotspots, but I am skeptical.

*Another region experienced the same problem, so probably it's the latter.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

G-Hawk posted:

Contact rates often aren't great but thats shockingly low if accurate. I'd be hard pressed to find a way to do that unless a universe has been run into the ground beyond any possibility at this stage of the campaign.

To be fair I think I was on the unlucky low end of the spectrum- another report was something like 40 contacts out of 350, but that was the deceased-disconnect guy so I dunno. Average rate of volunteer scheduling out of whatever contacts were made was around 5%, both from our region and the other region which had to fall back on the paper lists.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Concerned Citizen posted:

I'mma real talk you here Ofaloaf. It sounds like your RFD is maybe no so great, but I also feel like you need to (wo)man up a bit.

1. You should be making far more than 30 calls an hour on a 5% contact rate. Each call should take you about 45 seconds including dialing. That means about 800 calls at a theoretical maximum, but realistically you should be making at least 600 in that time. More calls = more vols. My suggestion is to dial more.

2. 1 volunteer from 14 contacts is a good conversion rate in May. I wouldn't be too concerned about that. Your lists will improve as you call into them more. You would get zero volunteers from a party meeting, not one. Many will not allow you to even make a volunteer pitch. Trust those of us who have been doing this for awhile - if these people were going to volunteer, they'd be the first ones you'd call.

3. Does HQ load your VPBs, or your RFD? They should be having you call seniors during the day and younger people after 5pm when they come home from work. If it's your RFD, maybe you might suggest to him that he load the list differently since the contact rate is so low.
1. Current daily goals are set at 250 dials, with 500 being the estimated rate towards crunchtime. Most everybody exceeds the current goal, but not by much. Best I've seen from all the regions is 400-something by one FO. The goals themselves are set by HQ, I think by assigning an overall number for the region ("X dials this week") and then the RFD divvies it up.

2. The 1-in-14 rate doesn't bother me as much as it just being 1. Whole pages were nothing but NH-- but the pace for those pages was slower than it'd be for disconnects, since standing policy is that a dial must go through to the answering machine or some other termination of ringing before moving on. Ring-four-times-then-hang-up is frowned upon, and that's straight from the mouth of HQ.

3. The paper lists are HQ-issued. They're sorted alphabetically by last name, with no other details sorted beyond that.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

G-Hawk posted:

the eternal fight of local committees/etc who think events and visibility are a thing that matter versus campaigns who rightfully care about direct voter contact will never end.
Switching from campaign worker to local candidate, this has been absolutely frustrating. I'm going door-to-door on the weekends, talking directly to voters (a fair number of republicans are willing to jump the fence for local elections, happily) and generally doing my best to chat with folks and make connections, but the local party organization is growing increasingly concerned by the lack of yard-signs and throwaway brochures nobody reads.

I did a stint, I know what's what with campaigning, but apparently it's all about the little postcard-sized mailers and "VOTE FOR X" signs. "It proves you're a serious candidate," I've been told.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jackson Taus posted:

That said, in your case some lit might be a good idea - let them pass it out when they do their events or their own knocking or whatever. Nowhere near as useful as talking to voters yourself, but it's not like you can knock every door before E-Day.
In my case, I can-- it's only a township-level job I'm running for, and the township's rural and home to 6000 people on paper over 32 square miles (34 including lakes). Most of that's in 11 or so clusters.

It's been fairly easy to cover an entire neighborhood in a day, and it's local so at least some people already know me and talk me up. I've also taken to leaving business cards when I go door-to-door, since it provides my name & contact info, people can easily stick it on their fridge, and it's cheap and easy to print from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jackson Taus posted:

But I reiterate my worry that folks you talk to in June will need another touch in October so they remember to go to the polls, especially if you don't have a competitive House or Senate race in your area.
That's doable. I half-expect my opponent to do that work for me-- he blew a wad of cash during the primaries for yard signs, and since then has been fairly silent. He's gone on one vacation and is going on another one early in October. My bet is that after he returns, there'll be a flurry of stuff in the papers from his corner, all playing up what an excellent township clerk he's been, how qualified he is and reminding everyone when the election is. Plenty of people hate him and hate the township government (hence why a lot of folks from the other party have stated that they're willing to jump the fence for this race), so while the self-promotional stuff may not be that effective I wager his own work will remind people to vote against him.

Of course I'll go out on my own too, and not just bank on his efforts backfiring.

• Locked thread