Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
If you dorks ever come to Portland I'd have to take you to the Horse Brass or the Tardis Room.

(Union Jacks? Seriously? A poo poo strip club when Portland has two of the best English pubs this side of the Atlantic?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'd rather see tits than hang out at anything Doctor Who related.

If I want to see tits while I'm at a bar, I don't have to tip dollar bills at my phone and google. I'd rather have a massive beer selection and the best fish and chips and scotch eggs this side of Stonehaven.

(It's official name is "The Fish and Chip Shop" but the owner is an eccentric brit who's decorated it in a very BBC-ish fashion, hence the nickname of 'Tardis Room')

Also, for good cheap steak at a strip club, the Acropolis beats the poo poo out of anyone in Portland with $3 steak bites and fries.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Mat_Drinks posted:

Wait a sec, I've been to Stonehaven and would like to eat more of both of those things. What and where is this place you speak of?

http://www.horsebrass.com/
http://www.thefishandchipshop.com/about.html

The Horse Brass' chips are shite compared to the Fish and Chip shop, but they make up for it with an incredible beer selection.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

FIRST TIME posted:

Where did this happen? I'm down here in the Willamette Valley and it's been sunny and cold the last couple of days.

No idea, I rode my bike to work instead of driving on Friday because the weather was so nice in Portland.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Oh hey, that site still exists. I used to know Kenny, the guy that runs it; he gave me a bunch of parts off his AE86 when he crashed it, I think I still have his old ECU and valve covers sitting in my garage. I wish I had the money and room for a project car right now, a Starlet is on my short list of 'cars I need to own before I die'. A guy who lived near my old apartment had a nicely kept, modded Starlet that I'd see parked around the neighborhood, I never got the chance to talk to the owner and find out what he'd done with it.

For those that don't know, those old Starlets are RWD and also around ~1800 lbs. With a (very easy to do) 4AGE engine swap, they're actually stunningly fast, and absolute monsters on an autocross course. The entire drivetrain and suspension of an AE86 (or TE72) Corolla will bolt right up, as will AE86 brakes, suspension, and rear axles (including LSDs). This includes all the numerous aftermarket brake and suspension upgrades available for AE86s - just in a car that weighs 400+ lbs less.

I remember being floored at seeing the results from an autocross down in the bay area where the fastest laps of the day were all turned in by a lightly modded Starlet in (I think) Street Prepared class. It was turning in times markedly faster than the guys running 911s, Boxsters, Miatas, MR2s, and pretty much every other normally-dominant-at-autocross car there was.

Some PNW goon _must_ get that car, they're too awesome to pass up. Think 13 inch's Civic, except RWD and with a bunch of aftermarket poo poo you can bolt onto it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

the spyder posted:

Anyone up for a Portland meet? I'm too lazy/busy to drive up to Seattle.

Portland is better than Seattle anyways. :colbert:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Comrade Flynn posted:

I saw the lineup was 75% stanced VWs and decided not to.

This is like a metaphor for something, I'm just not quite sure what.

I do know that every time I hear or see the word 'stanced' it makes me want to bang my head on something.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Comrade Flynn posted:

They also had a post saying "no jap poo poo" allowed, which may have swayed my decision.

What a bunch of dicks.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

"So yeah we're doing this drive for charity, but please don't bring a car if its not part of the Master Race.". Wonder what they'd say if I showed up in my Fiat*, it's technically European v:shobon:v

* I'm not actually going to

I wonder what would happen if I showed up with my Yamaha and then walked around with my BMW keyfob in hand.

"What? No, my BMW is slow, I wanted to come here in something that's actually fast."

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

CharlesM posted:

There's also Vancouver.

Nice to meet everyone!

Vancouver BC and Portland seem to have become the new Hollywoods of the 21st century if you've noticed how many movies and TV shows are getting shot in those cities now. When I moved here, it was only the occasional movie shot here, now there's three ongoing TV shows filming in Portland and like two more movies each year, it's weird watching some show and seeing actors standing in front of a building I just went past the day before.

blk posted:

Yeah, we need to get a Portland meet going - who's down there besides me and Canadian Chick and the guy who lives up the gorge with a Miata or something?

There's CountOfNowhere, though he doesn't post very often (too busy sawzalling the axles off his car or something :D ).

Normally for a place to meet I'd suggest the Horse Brass, but they don't have their own parking lot and if we want to also drool over cars, the street parking might be a limitation (not that any of us in Portland have fancy poo poo like the GT-Rs and Astons and first gen Civics of the Seattle crew :smith: )

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

Man, I haven't been to the Horse Brass in years - I'd be happy to get a beer there or do Cars + Coffee sometime or something. Since you don't have PMs, what's a good way to reach you off-forum?

Since you're now in the 503, you can text me at 984-5473. I talked to CountOfNowhere, he said he'd probably be down for drinks at the Horse Brass this weekend if you wanna have a meet there.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

Any interest in Tigard C+C this Sat, or Horse Brass on Sunday?

Doubt anyone besides me will be going, but this weekend is the Portland Comic Con, already spent a shitload I don't really have on tickets for it. :shobon:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

What are you Seattle people's commute times like? Portland is getting a lot worse and I'd like to compare anecdotes.

Ahahahahaha. :laugh: Seattle ranks either 5th worst or 8th worst congested city in the US, depending on which survey you read. I think a lot of it may be due to the combination of a much bigger urban sprawl combined with much worse public transit.

Portland has really shittily unpredictable commutes because it's a total roll of the dice as to whether some dipshit has wrecked on I5 or I205 on any given day, and a total inability of any of these dipshits to zipper merge properly doesn't help, but as long as you don't get caught in some kind of fuckery, Portland commutes go fairly smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

portland.jpg

I support this activity.

• Locked thread