Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Decided to check this out since Dr Sunshine's description made it sound a bit like Phineas & Ferb: The Anime, and while there's not actually that many similarities it's just as engrossing and enjoyable despite it's short length. Can't wait for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

tsob posted:

Dr Sunshine's description made it sound a bit like Phineas & Ferb: The Anime

This actually should have been the thread for this title. I can't find any better laconic description for this series.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Huh! I guess I didn't think of that because I was a poor without cable while growing up, and never saw or even heard of "Phineas and Ferb". :smith:

v- *shudders* Let's not speak of such things, for that way lies madness. -v

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 8, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

DrSunshine posted:

Nope, what would truly save anime is a "Sumire-16 Sai!" anime.

It did get that weird live action adaption.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ArcadePark posted:

This actually should have been the thread for this title. I can't find any better laconic description for this series.

The only thing it's missing is the mandatory musical sequence.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

DrSunshine posted:

Huh! I guess I didn't think of that because I was a poor without cable while growing up, and never saw or even heard of "Phineas and Ferb". :smith:

v- *shudders* Let's not speak of such things, for that way lies madness. -v

Phineas and Ferb is fairly recent Disney channel thing. Two brothers get bored during summer vacation and whip up crazy things like roller coasters, a monster truck track, or robot versions of themselves. Meanwhile their older sister tries to rat them out to their parents but it never works out for her.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

jackofarcades posted:

Phineas and Ferb is fairly recent Disney channel thing. Two brothers get bored during summer vacation and whip up crazy things like roller coasters, a monster truck track, or robot versions of themselves. Meanwhile their older sister tries to rat them out to their parents but it never works out for her.

Oh I see! That does sound pretty appropriate, but I wonder if it'd fit in the character limit? Maybe if it was just shortened to "My Neighbor Seki", although I try to give the full titles of shows or comics when making threads about them.

Surprise surprise -- I'm still a poor with no cable!

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

jackofarcades posted:

They also don't limit their projects to physical things. They also became one-hit wonders(with a lot of emphasis on one-hit), made anime (where they put themselves as the heroes) that they screened in big screen and made a MUGEN game consisting of characters of themselves to play online.

I just found the second one hilarious because Seki seems to also have made an anime in the OP, complete with Yokoi's voice acting.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

New episode's up on Crunchyroll. This one relied more upon the *~imagination~* than the previous one, but it was still a treat. I'm hoping that there are more like the first episode, but I can appreciate the variety (they can't all be "Seki constructs a Rube Goldberg machine").

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Watched the two episodes, they're very charming and capture a good amount in the 5 minutes they have.

Seki makes me question my own low levels of imagination and creative thinking :(

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I totally dismissed this one when I saw it available on Crunchyroll as an anime I was definitely not interested in. Saw this thread, and gave the first episode a shot. I haven't laughed that much at an anime in ages. That eraser-domino track was incredible.

I didn't think the second episode was as good, but I enjoyed seeing Yokoi get into the act herself.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Yokoi has an imagination on par with Seki's anyway, if she got that much out of the Shogi.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm fairly pleased at the stuff the anime added, like with showing the shogi pieces as human characters inside Yokoi/Seki's fantasy. That was a nice, anime-original touch that didn't show up in the corresponding manga chapter.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If they're following the manga chapters, then the next one will be a little more adorable

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I wasn't sure if this was going to work as an anime, but that second episode was just wonderful. :allears:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wandering Knitter posted:

I wasn't sure if this was going to work as an anime, but that second episode was just wonderful. :allears:

Yeah I was unsure how well it would transition to being animated, but the animation adds so much to Yokoi's imagination of the events that I don't know why I doubted it. The show is pretty much pitch perfect to the manga, and it has a fantastic ED to boot. Robot family is going to be the best episode when they get to it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

chumbler posted:

Yeah I was unsure how well it would transition to being animated, but the animation adds so much to Yokoi's imagination of the events that I don't know why I doubted it. The show is pretty much pitch perfect to the manga, and it has a fantastic ED to boot. Robot family is going to be the best episode when they get to it.

Sadly, given that it looks like they're following the manga chapter to chapter, unless it's more than one cour, the series won't be reaching it.

Flocci
May 29, 2013

Terrible and bland.
Tonari no Seki-kun brings me so much joy. I'm a bit miffed that the animation and art is so bare bones, but I suppose it is Seki's first time making an anime, and he has to do it all alone without his teacher noticing. Or the teacher noticing Yokoi's VA debut. Anyway, episode two was one of my favorite manga chapters, and I couldn't be happier seeing it animated. So hype for this show. :allears:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Xelkelvos posted:

Sadly, given that it looks like they're following the manga chapter to chapter, unless it's more than one cour, the series won't be reaching it.

Spoilers based on what we know about the production (this will be a really cool thing when it happens I think so if you want a cool surprise don't click this): Robot family will be in the show and Ichiro Mizuki will be singing their song.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I'm fairly pleased at the stuff the anime added, like with showing the shogi pieces as human characters inside Yokoi/Seki's fantasy. That was a nice, anime-original touch that didn't show up in the corresponding manga chapter.

This is the reason I preferred ep 2 over ep 1 (which seems like the minority opinion). Ep 1 was a 1:1 recreation of the manga with very little added value for it being animated, but ep 2 of the anime was fleshed out by Yokio's imagination.

Maybe the Dominos story was better than the Shogi story, but I think ep 2 made better use of the format and the extra time.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Elite posted:

This is the reason I preferred ep 2 over ep 1 (which seems like the minority opinion). Ep 1 was a 1:1 recreation of the manga with very little added value for it being animated, but ep 2 of the anime was fleshed out by Yokio's imagination.

Maybe the Dominos story was better than the Shogi story, but I think ep 2 made better use of the format and the extra time.

I agree with this sentiment actually. The dominoes were pretty cool, but in terms of sheer creativity on the writers' end the shougi war story wins by miles. I would love to see much more of that kind of creativity.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Episode 1 was okay and I don't really care much for her but episode 2 had me actually laughing out loud and part of that was due to Hanakana's delivery. This show is great.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oso_YCWfDUs

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oh man. That's just cool in all sorts of ways.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I started getting really into this guy's awesome drumming, but then I realized how ridiculous I was looking and went "Hmph!" and turned away.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This show is wonderful. Time to binge through the manga I think.

edit: ahahaha, Chapter 6

McDragon fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 14, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I agree with this sentiment actually. The dominoes were pretty cool, but in terms of sheer creativity on the writers' end the shougi war story wins by miles. I would love to see much more of that kind of creativity.

Well you'll love the chess episode then

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The OAD that was bundled with the 5th manga volume is now floating around your dodgy torrent site of choice.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The OAD that was bundled with the 5th manga volume is now floating around your dodgy torrent site of choice.

It contains the sand chapter and the cat chapter, so those probably wont be appearing in the series. They're not the best anyways...

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I thought they were pretty cool. The cat episode in particular killed me.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Saw the fish ending coming from a mile of miles away, still was fantastic.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

You know, this has cinched it. Yokoi's voice actress definitely wins the "Voice Actress of the Year Award" from me! Her lines when her brain was melting from cute kitties were purrfect!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I really like that that the two of them have an even "win"/"loss" ratio. I really hope that keeps up. I feel bad for the sand tower though.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

DrSunshine posted:

You know, this has cinched it. Yokoi's voice actress definitely wins the "Voice Actress of the Year Award" from me! Her lines when her brain was melting from cute kitties were purrfect!

She's still doing pretty well despite being in like 8 shows this season, yeah.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Yeah I am kind of sick of her since she has been in so many shows the last couple of years, but I have to admit she did a really good job in the cat part.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

grrarg posted:

Yeah I am kind of sick of her since she has been in so many shows the last couple of years, but I have to admit she did a really good job in the cat part.

I'm okay with Kana Hanazawa being in everything as long as we get things like what she did in Jellyfish Princess, Binbougami (who seems to have been named “Good Luck Girl” for western release, :wtc:) and what she's doing in this show.

Tomokazu Sugita and her seem destined to be like the Koyasu / Hayashibara of this generation.

In Seki-centric news, show continues to rule. :3:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I really liked Yokoi's panicked little shuffle after she realized she'd suddenly ruined Seki's fun and raised his ire. Gold General deserved that one though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
So, I decided to watch this show because you guys only had positive things to say about it.

Now I've read out the manga and am eagerly waiting for the next chapter and episode.

I'm hooked, send help!

And yes, Gold General deserved that. :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, Seki. What a magical bastard. "Even to the point of self destruction!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So when can we reasonably expect shipper girl to show up? I've read a few issues of the manga, but the anime seems to be doing them in order and I'm enjoying watching the anime more than reading the manga so I think I'm just gonna watch the anime for the moment and see everything fresh - at least until this season (assuming there's more) wraps up.

• Locked thread