Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
I love how this episode is just about Seki eating his bento :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

sunburnedcrow posted:

I love how this episode is just about Seki eating his bento :allears:

With careless malice. :black101:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Careless? He wanted that bento to suffer. :unsmigghh:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Some great Goto action this time. (She sure loves playing with her hair.)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

nielsm posted:

Some great Goto action this time. (She sure loves playing with her hair.)

Her braids seem to get longer as the episode goes on - presumably for a better grip?

P.S. Spectral Yokoi?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Goto's braids and her delusions are some of the best things in Seki-kun. I rejoice every time she gets a scene.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Goto vision is the best filter.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Her braids are the fourth- and fifth-best characters.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Her braids are the fourth- and fifth-best characters.

I presume the first three are the robot family?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

That was a phyrric vitory for Yokoi. But it's still awesome how she managed to really freak out Seki.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The Ghosts of Iwo Jima.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

My favorite line this episode was "With it being so dark, Seki-kun won't be able to play! Pu pu pu!" :3:

Also, evil Yokoi is the best.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

My favorite line this episode was "With it being so dark, Seki-kun won't be able to play! Pu pu pu!" :3:

Also, evil Yokoi is the best.

The sound effect for her movement during this bit was great too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The latest episode's been up for a while.

Hmm, honestly not really one of the stronger episodes, and I think it worked better in the manga than it does in the anime. The joke felt punchier and less drawn-out.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
This episode was just the shogi episodes and the robot family episodes smashed together.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

paragon1 posted:

This episode was just the shogi episodes and the robot family episodes smashed together.

Without the song. :smith:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

The latest episode's been up for a while.

Hmm, honestly not really one of the stronger episodes, and I think it worked better in the manga than it does in the anime. The joke felt punchier and less drawn-out.

Eh, I thought it was fine. There wasn't really a punchline but I liked Yokoi's reactions as the situation changed.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

Eh, I thought it was fine. There wasn't really a punchline but I liked Yokoi's reactions as the situation changed.

Yea there was? The whole, the family came together thing. Yokoi's optimistic world view defeating Seki's evil. It was pretty great, although yea they've done that joke before.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqtOS1rgwaI

English version of the OP. Official English version, sung by the singer of the Japanese version.

Also in French
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oSBF8JJMDY:france::canada:

E: of course the Robot Family theme would only be a 15 second preview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Dpyo5SCCk

Dehry fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 1, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dehry posted:

It amazes me that Ichiro Mizuki is 66 years old and still singing robot songs.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Dehry posted:

English version of the OP. Official English version, sung by the singer of the Japanese version.

Doesn't that say it's sung by Rumiko Varnes? The Japanese version is by Kana Hanazawa.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I could be wrong, I am using Google translate here.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Those videos are so :3: but...

Dehry posted:

Why would you do this? :gonk: Just 15 seconds is cruel.

Also saw the 15 second preview of Set Them Free, complete with jamming on school supplies.

e: An 80s game version remix? I'm curious about that one too.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 1, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Xythar posted:

Doesn't that say it's sung by Rumiko Varnes? The Japanese version is by Kana Hanazawa.

I'd assumed so, looking at "Rumiko Varnes" in the little sentence at the beginning, and seeing how it's in the same place as "Diane Perrin" in the French version. It really does sound like Cristina Vee, though.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Dehry posted:

Also in French
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oSBF8JJMDY:france::canada:

i like how they left the "yamate" at the end of the song in the english version untranslated :psyduck:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X80MV5Yw5dU

Also in German.

Fauxami
Jun 19, 2013

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Why would you do this? :gonk: Just 15 seconds is cruel.

Here's the full version! It was released on the OP/ED single a while back.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Horrible. Truly horrible. She can't sing. The lyrics are completely divorced from the melody/rhythm and forcing the singer to stretch and compress syllables in completely unnatural ways. Why?

The English version is competent. I don't understand why they didn't translate the 'yamete' at the end though.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Because it wouldn't match up to the very obvious lip flaps maybe? Hard to say. I'm amazed some of the versions lyrics fit as well as they do.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It confuses me that these translated openings exist. Even people who watch dubbed anime are totally down with Japanese language openings most of the time. Even if they were to dub it, this style of show has never been super popular outside Japan. And the kind of people who would watch a dubbed version of Seki? Probably down with an undubbed opening.

This is not the first time anime has confounded me, of course.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I think it's just a gimmick.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Because it wouldn't match up to the very obvious lip flaps maybe? Hard to say. I'm amazed some of the versions lyrics fit as well as they do.

"Cut it out" could work or maybe "Please stop it". At the same time I'm fine with it staying "yamete". Not sure if it was intended but I like how the English version was whispered at the end. :3:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

"Cut it out" could work or maybe "Please stop it". At the same time I'm fine with it staying "yamete". Not sure if it was intended but I like how the English version was whispered at the end. :3:

O M G

Yamete is a fine catchphrase

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

The Devil Tesla posted:

It confuses me that these translated openings exist. Even people who watch dubbed anime are totally down with Japanese language openings most of the time. Even if they were to dub it, this style of show has never been super popular outside Japan. And the kind of people who would watch a dubbed version of Seki? Probably down with an undubbed opening.

This is not the first time anime has confounded me, of course.

It's a six minute long show with four different voices to account for, only one of which actually is common. It might just be a "Might as well!", p sure all the written Seki stuff has been officially translated.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Can't win against magic.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:aaa: I-Is this the beginning of a beautiful romance...?

... Nah, it's just Seki-kun again! :3:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
An intense battle of wills! :ohdear:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Yokoi's eye-expressions in this episode were magnificent. Her observation when he opened his pencil box was awesome.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I could not stop cracking up at Seki's expression. His constant "Mmm? Mmm?" after doing the tricks were icing on the cake. Easily my second favorite after the robot family episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

(19) Need a repeating GIF of Seki leaning back and forth with Yuki's WTF face in the background being blocked and unblocked. Like, potential avatar material.

• Locked thread