Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

My Neighbor Seki: The Master of Killing Time is a surreal daily life comedy, based on the hilarious manga by Takuma Morishige.

It's your typical girl-meets-boy, girl sees boy building a crazy contraption on his desk, setting up the drama of a robot family, or throwing darts with his feet, girl tries to resist getting distracted, girl gives up and gets sucked in anyway, and girl gets annoyed at falling for it yet again sort of drama. Not always in that order! And somehow, despite all of Yokoi's best intentions, the teacher never seems to notice, even when Seki builds something totally outrageous!

The wacky and weird things that come up on Seki's desk never fail to draw poor Yokoi's attention, and although the plot and setup is pretty much the same every single time, it never fails to amuse to see what crazy hijinks Seki will be up to next. It's a very cute, gentle and quite inoffensive but hilarious comedy, and we all love it in the Surreal Daily Life manga thread, so I've got high hopes that this will be one of the better comedy animes of the season.

Cast

Rumi Yokoi

The hapless protagonist of the show. A dutiful and studious girl, but perhaps just a bit nosy, although if the boy next to you is building a giant chess piece out of other chess pieces and smashing the poor little pieces into bits, well, morality dictates that you must intervene, right?

Toshinari Seki

The fiendish antagonist and Yokoi's nemesis! Always manages to pull a miracle out of his desk somehow. Never pays attention in class, much to Yokoi's dismay.

Gotoh

She got the wrong idea about them and now she totally ships the two.

--------------------------------------------

Website

The show airs on Sundays and will be simulcast on Crunchyroll

Let's enjoy this great new show together! :)

a kitten posted:

yokoi-in-a-nutshell.gif

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Haha! That was pretty well-done! Yokoi's extended "WHOAAAAAAAAAAAA" when Seki unveiled the big firework and the excessively dramatic choral music that played when he set the dominoes in motion were the best parts, I think. The ending credits were pretty nice too, and I liked how the OP is self-referential.

nielsm posted:

I wonder, is the material anime original? I imagine that contraptions that work well in stills may not work well in animation, and vice versa.

Well, as far as the material goes, the first episode is pretty much a word-for-word adaptation of the first chapter of the manga. We'll have to see if the anime adds anything else as time goes on, I guess.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 5, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

a kitten posted:

yokoi-in-a-nutshell.gif

I've added this lovely gif to the OP. Thanks! It really is Yokoi (and this show) in a nutshell-- the Five Stages of Getting Sucked Into Seki's Pace: 1) Distraction, 2) Involvement, 3) Enjoyment, 4) Realization, and 5) Annoyance.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh Snapalope posted:

Now we just need a Sakamoto Desu Ga anime.

Nope, what would truly save anime is a "Sumire-16 Sai!" anime.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Huh! I guess I didn't think of that because I was a poor without cable while growing up, and never saw or even heard of "Phineas and Ferb". :smith:

v- *shudders* Let's not speak of such things, for that way lies madness. -v

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 8, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

jackofarcades posted:

Phineas and Ferb is fairly recent Disney channel thing. Two brothers get bored during summer vacation and whip up crazy things like roller coasters, a monster truck track, or robot versions of themselves. Meanwhile their older sister tries to rat them out to their parents but it never works out for her.

Oh I see! That does sound pretty appropriate, but I wonder if it'd fit in the character limit? Maybe if it was just shortened to "My Neighbor Seki", although I try to give the full titles of shows or comics when making threads about them.

Surprise surprise -- I'm still a poor with no cable!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm fairly pleased at the stuff the anime added, like with showing the shogi pieces as human characters inside Yokoi/Seki's fantasy. That was a nice, anime-original touch that didn't show up in the corresponding manga chapter.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I started getting really into this guy's awesome drumming, but then I realized how ridiculous I was looking and went "Hmph!" and turned away.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The OAD that was bundled with the 5th manga volume is now floating around your dodgy torrent site of choice.

You know, this has cinched it. Yokoi's voice actress definitely wins the "Voice Actress of the Year Award" from me! Her lines when her brain was melting from cute kitties were purrfect!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yokoi always makes the best faces. :3:

EDIT: Ah... so that's how Ragyo Kiryuin does it!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RR3mC_gBtc
:psyduck:
The CD also has a TV-size acapella version which is fantastic.

This is the last anime opening where I'd expect a bass drop. :stare:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Well, there's one person who definitely won't get sucked into Seki's pace!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I don't typically watch anime adaptations of manga, but this one just adds so much. The classic 70s robot song for the family (haha! Those lyrics!) was an excellent addition. Glad to see that the director is willing to put their own enhancements and flourishes onto an already entertaining premise.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The latest episode (8), I'm fairly sure that everyone will agree, is the most ~*~dramatic~*~ episode yet!

:swoon:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh my gosh, the latest episode added so many neat things, like Yokoi's hair twirl gesture and the whole "desert scene". The voice actress does an amazing job!

And, as ever, Yokoi's faces are the best.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Heyyyy. Yesss!! Gotoh finally makes her star debut!

They handled this perfectly. I like how they distinguished Gotoh and Yokoi's frenzied internal monologues with different music; Gotoh's is so much more intense! I also love how they added the R-18 ADULT-ONLY yellow caution tape effect framing Yokoi at the end.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Gotoh has the best gosh-darn pigtails ever!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Thunk posted:

New ep's up.

And is it ever the tensest episode! :haw:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Looks like Yokoi won this time! That's good! She doesn't win as often as Seki does, so it's satisfying when she does. :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I love the stupid goofy lyrics of the Robot Family song. "Everyone LOVES SCRAMBLED EGGS!!!" Hahaha!

This anime is the perfect combination of :3: and :supaburn:, it's amazing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Loved the Attack on Titan references!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Goto's braids and her delusions are some of the best things in Seki-kun. I rejoice every time she gets a scene.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

My favorite line this episode was "With it being so dark, Seki-kun won't be able to play! Pu pu pu!" :3:

Also, evil Yokoi is the best.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The latest episode's been up for a while.

Hmm, honestly not really one of the stronger episodes, and I think it worked better in the manga than it does in the anime. The joke felt punchier and less drawn-out.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Xythar posted:

Doesn't that say it's sung by Rumiko Varnes? The Japanese version is by Kana Hanazawa.

I'd assumed so, looking at "Rumiko Varnes" in the little sentence at the beginning, and seeing how it's in the same place as "Diane Perrin" in the French version. It really does sound like Cristina Vee, though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:aaa: I-Is this the beginning of a beautiful romance...?

... Nah, it's just Seki-kun again! :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think this was an episode where it really did get embellished for the better, over the manga chapter. All the little extra things like Yokoi's glowering, and the "Congratulations" and the little rewind button at the beginning were excellent additional touches!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh nooo! Since it's the last (non -OVA) episode of the season, they sure set up Yokoi to lose big-time this episode! Poor thing! :(

Anyway, I hope they bring it back for a second season, because I really enjoyed seeing the anime adaptation. They really have to bring it back, because we need to see the Gotoh chapter in the art classroom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Has anyone seen the two OVAs yet? I just got around to watching them today. They're fun, and it's nice to see a slightly longer running time -- 13 minutes rather than 8 minutes. They animate the Hiking Trip chapter and the one with the Snow Rabbit.

• Locked thread