Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
They also probably realized they don't need to actually give discounts because we will stand in line for hours and jump through any loving hoops they decide to put.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
Can't say I'm happy to hear that. I think people will be more pissed of they are RNG'ed to the back of the line than they would be from trying to deal with server load/lag like in the past.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Sire Oblivion posted:

The Marriott, with the dumb-gently caress prices I paid last year, is already booked the whole week. Is this the norm and did I luck out last year by getting a room only a couple months before the Con?

How much exactly did you pay last year booking outside the lottery?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
Well best of luck to everyone

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Darko posted:

Since we can get three or whatever, if someone can't get in, I can grab a pass and you can paypal me the money or something and vice versa.

Same. I'm only buying 2/3.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Tyberius posted:

"We are letting groups of people into their registration sessions slowly to ensure that the system is running efficiently. We will continue to update you here with any changes."

At least give me a number of where I am :negative:

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Satorr posted:

If anyone is buying only for themselves, I need two for all days + preview night.

I'm in the same spot, if anyone wants to be very generous.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Shawn posted:

I'm in. But we got all we need who needs whatever's left

Can you purchase for 2?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Shawn posted:

I can do 3

can you please buy thurs/sun for

sergeig
last:
lillybearbutt
last:

Soarer fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 8, 2014

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Shawn posted:

Done. Email me at cracknaticman at hotmail dot com so I can forward confirmation. Paypal is the same address.

Emailed you.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
Thanks to Shawn I managed to at least get 2 days for me and my girlfriend. We'll try our luck for the other days in the normal badge grab. I left my browser up and by the time I got in it was Sunday only. She wasn't in by then either. We both got on at 7 this morning.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Neraren posted:

Combined with the fact you can't order tickets once someone else has ordered some for you,

If someone buys your ticket before you get to the front of the line, you could still buy 3 tickets for others when its your turn. At least that's how it worked in the pre sale.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

RevKrule posted:

Didn't have numbering for the alumni either. It was very annoying.

It's pretty dumb. If they really want to lessen server load then show people where they are in line. Everyone after a certain number would probably just close the window and go do something else.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I sorta understand the logic behind random placement in line (since it doesn't matter what time you sign in during the 7 to 9 AM window, everybody won't rush in at 7 AM and crash their poo poo like years past).

However, it makes no sense that they don't tell you your spot in line once the random assignment has taken place. What could possibly be the reasoning for that? To encourage people to drop out (and decrease server load) out of boredom/hopelessness?

Probably just too much :effort:

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Mr. Onslaught posted:

How would payment and confirmation for this work? I need a Sat for myself and a Fri-Sun for my friend, sent you an email with ID info and such

He gets a payment confirmation email, you can paypal him the funds. The actual ticket emails go to the emails the user IDs are registered with.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Well that's convenient!

I have PayPal at the ready for anyone who wants to get me a Sat and a Fri-Sun for my travel buddy

clearlydemon, did my e-mail go through/any chance you can do this?

I think we all spammed him with emails

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I just wanted to purchase merchandise for all my favorite and beloved characters such as X-Man and The Ray. Thanks for nothing, Comic Con International..

Some of us could try to grab you what you wanted also.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Alan Smithee posted:

Coming from LA what is this "train" you speak of?

I wish I could take the train but it is a 37 hour trip from Seattle. Where the gently caress is our bullet train :argh:

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
Scored our first choice of Hilton Bayside :neckbeard:

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Sire Oblivion posted:

Welp, got the Hotel Del Cornado 5 miles away. This wouldn't be that bad because at least I got something, but they honestly expect me to pay $319 for being this far out? gently caress that.

Are reservations transferable? Because we also got the Westin Gaslamp (gf got our Hilton) which is a hell of a lot closer with one king bed for $239 a night.

I've already offered to our friends but if they don't take it I'll transfer to you if I can.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Drake Lake posted:

Just read my e-mail for my reservation.

I didn't even ask for the U.S. Grant. No way in hell am I paying $339 a night. it's such a huge setback that it is making me reconsider going to the con.

The stuff in hotel circle is really not that bad. The prices are fair and with the shuttles its really easy to get back and forth.

We stayed there our first two years. The first year we booked a room less than a month before the con.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BBP23010#.U2nImfldXm5

Not something I would wait in line for but amusing non-the-less

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Beanpants posted:

I won't be able to make it this year since I don't have a book coming out in that time and there's little professional reason to go, but if one of you guys could pick this sucker up for me, I'll pay you before the con and send you some artwork:

http://www.marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=23&itemid=17549

Ugh Hasbro. If I manage to get Hasbro tickets sure, but there are no guarantees on that.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Beanpants posted:

Thanks! I haven't stood in a SDCC toy line since 2010, which wasn't too terrible. If the hotel rush is anything to go by, I imagine it has gotten much worse since then. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with ticket poo poo since I'm grandfathered in with a pro pass.

For Hasbro you have to get in line around 6-7am I think, then get a ticket, which has a time slot printed on it. You go to the booth during that time slot and then you can purchase from them.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Beanpants posted:

Jesus, that's ridiculous. Well, anyone that can hook me up will be substantially rewarded!

Yet we do it anyways :shepicide:

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Alan Smithee posted:

Was gonna say that too. Obviously asking someone to piggyback off their place in line if you don't know them is a bird in the bush situation but you'd be surprised how much people are willing to help for a little extra cash on hand

We did it once for a couple of guys. Turns out they were ungrateful assholes. We bought them their stuff and they paid us cash + some extra. On the last day of the convention they had the line wide open with no tickets required for what ever items they had left. We saw them there getting more stuff and went to say hi. They actually had the gall to ask for the extra they gave us back, because they were able to get more of the same stuff that day.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Dr Tran posted:

Friday in the indigo ballroom so far:

2:30 Mike Tyson
4PM Bob's Burgers
5PM Archer

Seems like an awful long time for Mike Tyson.

Oh well, get in for Tyson, camp for Archer.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

False Toaster posted:

This is my first time heading out to SDCC. Can you explain this in more detail?

I think he means that they found people that gave his friends their badges (possibly extras) so they could go in and out of the con.

This has been posted before but check out http://www.outsidecomiccon.com/all-events-2014/

Lots of stuff going on even if you don't have a badge to get into the actual convention.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

RevKrule posted:

The new official sdcc app is available. It includes an interactive map as well as adding notes to all kinds of poo poo.

Plus you can favourite just about everything to have all that stuff in one handy spot and never having to pull out the stupid book (unless you're low on battery).

Speaking of that, before SDCC 13 we picked up one of those portable battery chargers and haven't looked back since. Things are awesome.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
So when's the Goon meet?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
So the Unofficial SDCC blog are doing some party tonight at Henry's Pub on 5th, just a hair past Market St. We have 2 spots at our table outside if anyone wants to come join us.

e: guys are missing out on some pretty good ribs and popcorn shrimp

Soarer fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 24, 2014

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

ElmerTheWasabi posted:

Are any goons planning on braving the Hall H line for Friday and/or Saturday? A friend and I are planning on it already, but strength in numbers and all that.

After the last couple of years we've given up on Hall H. Good luck though.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
So the general hall admission is not absurd right now. 3 rows under the a hall H tent, plus 3 rows on the lawn out front.

Hall H tents are pretty sparse, but :wristband:

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Sire Oblivion posted:

The self parking?

Also, just woke up at 4 to get a Hasbro voucher, made it into the building only to have most of the line broken up because they ran out of vouchers. After three hours of waiting and two hours of sleep, at least in Hall H you'll eventually get in. :smith: Last year I had no problem getting a Hasbro voucher, this is utterly nuts. It's only my second year going but it's incredible apparent the con has grown too big for it's own good.

We got there in the line outside at 4am also. We're in chute 2, and I think we were at the tail end of the tickets. After 4pm is our timeslot.

e: it's the magic cards. Last year was much easier.

Soarer fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 24, 2014

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
Hall H looks like it is just walk in whenever you want today.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Satorr posted:

I was talking about the panel itself. I was laughing so hard I became dehydrated.

The panel was hilarious. The Star Wars stuff at the begining was really funny but that little 9yrd girl asking him questions was the best part.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
Oh man my girlfriend is freaking out. Not only did we run into Caity Lotz from Arrow in the elevator and she shook her hand but then we get off on our floor and it's Colton Haynes from Arrow waiting for the elevator. He was really cool, took pictures and was generally a nice guy.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
Well, another year in the bag. We didn't have Saturday badges this week and I actually don't regret it at all. It forced me to go out and see all the other things going on.

Don't forget to save your badges to be eligible for the pre sale next year.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Darko posted:

Are we organizing some backup buyers here (for those that went last year)?

My friends and I are buying for each other but if they manage to get in earlier and purchase mine I can buy for anyone that might need it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
None of us yet either

• Locked thread