Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Trade Pro reg went really smoothly. I was hitting it at 9:59 and getting a 'you must wait until 10am' and then I refreshed, logged in and checked out inside of about 2 minutes with the website working just great. Already got my confirmation email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Omni for the 3rd year in a row. rack'em!

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
You can't really 'transfer' but what you do is check in as whoever has the room reservation, and then use the new person's credit card as the one on file, then on check out just charge it to the new credit card. The hotel never gets the 'deposit' credit card information, they just have the name.

So you need the original reserve-er to check in for the other people basically, then that's it.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
As someone at least tangentially involved in the party planning process for SDCC vendors, they're just locking in venues right now and usually invites go out 2-3 weeks before an event.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Pretty much any media company that's exhibiting, and many that aren't, are going to have a 'party' of some sort. It might be something like they rent out a bar in the Gaslamp for 4 days and then close it up one night for a few hours for an invite-only "VIP" party. Or just a hotel ballroom for a few hours, or some big club/bar for a few hours. It varies.

Nothing super secret or mysterious, just pick a company that will have a presence and isn't a retailer and they will very likely have a party of varying exclusivity. It also depends on the industry. I'm in video games, so I know most of the video games parties, but couldn't tell you a single thing about a TV or Movie party, or who is having one or when or where. Media companies, like ones that sell advertising often have the biggest/best parties. They only invite their clients/vendors and company friends. It's almost impossible to get into these parties as the public, and if you did even find out about it, how excited would you be to go to the Vox Media Party? With no celebs of any kind.

The secret to getting in to parties is the same as any con, find the people having the party, ask them if it's open to the public, if not, ask them if there's any way to get in, and they might tell you how, or they might not. The people to talk to are usually PR people at the booth, don't go to the top guy though, talk to the "PR Coordinators"

Some SDCC 'parties' are little more than press demos that are really really boring to the general public, but might seem exciting from the outside. Sure you're at "a party" but the place is mostly empty except for press people and maybe some c-list celebs (and then only 1) and then just PR people talking to the press about their new show/game/movie, but no one famous is there, and it's just press waiting in line to talk to a PR guy but there's open bar and hors d'oeuvres. The top-tier press already had their camera-time with the stars of the show / producers / whatever and won't be there, it's more for the 2nd and 3rd tier press who still deserve audiences but not one on ones with Hugh Jackman. That's actually most of the parties.

Some of them are just ragers for anyone who knows anybody who works with the company and it's open bar at some club in the gaslamp and the music's too loud and it's way too crowded, those are usually fun but again, getting in to them can be challenging, it's literally just who you know and if you can convince the doorman to let you and your 7 friends in.

edit: ALSO, oh god do not show up to anything resembling a private-ish party in costume or as a tourist. They will just turn you right around at the door.

Beast of Bourbon fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 4, 2014

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I just realized I have a pro badge for SDCC that I won't need due to getting one for being attached to an exhibitor.

So uh, how do we do this?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Spacedad posted:

Also I want to make sure I register for next year's con with my professional badge - if anyone has any tips on getting that done, I'm all ears cause they keep frickin' changing how it works. I think we're supposed to register in early august next month? Yowza.

I've had it for 3 years and haven't had to re-reg. Basically they send you emails saying "hey, login and check to see if you're still verified professional" and if you're not, you have to re-send stuff. It's not a big deal.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
When I did my pro the first time 3 years ago, I just sent in some clips of my credits from the games I've worked on, a scan of my business card, some links to my mobygames profile and a couple other links via post. Like 2 week laters I got my pro verification via email. This was for Trade Pro, not creative pro. Trade gets you into the pool, creative gets you free badges or something.

This year I just emailed in a summary of my last 3 years at SDCC, what I'd done there, as well as my new biz card, mobygames site and the panels and stuff I've helped out with at SDCC. I hope that works out, but I hope to hear back in 2 weeks or so.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
In a follow up to my last post, I put in for pro reg early last week as a reverification and just got approved now, so it took about a week.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Dr Tran posted:

What's the difference between Trade and Creative Professionals?

Creative Pro gets a free badge, and I believe can buy 1-2 extra ones at cost (or maybe free).

Trade Pro gets the opportunity to buy their badge and one for a guest.

Both Creative and Trade Pro badges come out of a different pool than the regular crazy GA pool. 3 years ago I got my badges about 6 hours after opening, 2 years ago about 3 hours and this year I was in instantly, but I feel like they ran out in about 4-5 hours this year.

Creative Pro reg takes place before Trade Pro, but it's like 3 days before. Both of them take place after GA.

edit: If you mean like what's the difference between getting a trade/creative pro, Trade pro is like "i'm in marketing/sales/biz dev/cashier/ etc for a company that does business at/around comic con" and Creative pro is like "I'm an artist/writer/penciller/colorist/costumer/etc"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Trade Pro, in my 3 years of experience, does not have nearly the same rush that pre-reg does. I've gotten mine a few hours after open and no issues. Also it doesn't crash.

• Locked thread