Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

New year, new prices!
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/01/comic-con-international-to-sell-only-single-day-badges/
It's now $200 for all 4 days + preview night ($165 w/o) and there's no more four day passes, it's all individual days.

I like to think this is because they think people will only pick the days they want rather than the four day but when they made the four day cost as much as buying individually that didn't change poo poo, this won't either. People will get the four day pass "just in case" there's something they want to do on another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Soarer posted:

They also probably realized they don't need to actually give discounts because we will stand in line for hours and jump through any loving hoops they decide to put.

They realized that like 3 years ago. They know they'll sell out so why entice people with a discount for showing up all four days when you can gouge up the price on everything year after year.

When I started attending 7 years ago, I think I paid $50 (might've been $75) for a four day pass. Although, I guess even at $200 it's still got exceptional value.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Sire Oblivion posted:

So if you can't get a 4 day pass anymore, are you going to get a badge for each day? Because christ that's going to be annoying. Not to mention I'll have to pick up 12 badges if that were to be the case.

From http://www.comic-con.org/cci/2014-cci-badge-preregistration:
New for 2014! Only single day badges will be sold. The Preview Night badge option may only be purchased if you buy a Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday badge. Preview Night is not a stand alone badge option. As in 2013, anyone who purchases a Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday badge will have the option of consolidating them into one 4-Day badge onsite.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Am I the only one who thinks it sounds like a double lottery? It sounds like you have a lottery for what time you can log in and then when you log in there's another lottery for where in line you are.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH

I heard murdering people is a crime, good thing too
This is actually quite easy to pull off. You need to use your member ID BEFORE you enter the waiting room. A simple check of "if memberid_inroom.exists?("yes") then exit."

ElmerTheWasabi posted:

Does any know if this is still limited to people who attended last year and have member IDs?

I believe it is, yes. You still need to the number off the badge to go with a member ID.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

People last year were saying they used multiple windows and it was fine

Last year had no waiting room or official lottery and you didn't put in a member ID until you got to the front.

My guess is if the waiting room doesn't require a MID to sit in it, yes, use as many browser windows as possible; they can't be sure it's not an assload of people behind a nat'd firewall. If it does ask you for a MID to sit, they have an easy way to kick you out and having multiple windows open is probably not a great idea.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Jimmy James posted:

Is Pre-Reg any less of a crap shoot than normal Registration?

I've been through normal Registration twice now. Hoping pre-reg goes better.

Same crap shoot, fewer people (but not by much).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

That's the one you have to be grandfathered into right

Yes. Saturday is for 2014 registration for 2013 badge holders.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Gann Jerrod posted:

Can anyone tell me if they pass the cookie test on this website that Comic Con set up? I tried it on both Firefox and Chrome, but no luck.

Tried four browsers across 2 OS's and none came back with a pass.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Darko posted:

Has anyone tried going in with multiple comps/browsers yet? Just curious to see if it's the normal "don't listen to the instructions because they're always wrong" thing.

I just did. Supposedly I only have one active session but I have two browsers with spinning circles.

Edit: It booted my other session, so yes, 1 reg code = 1 browser session

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 8, 2014

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Mobius 1 posted:

I'm in, who needs help?

How many you buying?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Next person with a spare spot, email me (rallyv at gmail). I got one ticket but need another.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Mobius 1 posted:

Sorry about that, failed and panicked and just bought my ticket as I was afraid it would time out :(

Sounds like so far everyone has had some form of luck getting tickets

It's ok. I got my four days so I'm happy. Thanks for trying.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

My friend got me my pass. No preview night. I'm still in the waiting room.

I still have a browser in the waiting room too. I don't need a ticket but I'm open to helping.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

ElmerTheWasabi posted:

Anyone get confirmation emails yet? My friend said he got my badge but is waiting on the confirmation email still.

I have one confirmation email and I'm still waiting on the other so the system is slow.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Knowing your place in line and having a meter showing how many badges are left would be nice ;[

Yeah, this is something I'd like to see next year, but in all, this is a lot less painful than previous years.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

"It looks like Friday and Saturday badge inventory is running low, we promise to keep you updated. Thank you for your patience while you wait in line. Customers are completing their purchases. Thank you for your patience while we refresh this message every 120 seconds."

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Tip: If they don't have all four badges available and you aren't interested in going without a 4-day, still buy a single badge (e.g. Sunday or Thursday) so you're eligible for badge holder pre-reg next year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though. I don't want people to waste money.

You need to show up to use your ticket for this statement to be accurate. So you can buy a Thursday but you still need to redeem the Thursday to have an eligible ticket to 2015.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Does anyone have a good number to call to actually get a person regarding registration? I fear one of my passes may not have gone through and I want to verify.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

After 24 hours of fear, I got the "we've charged your credit card" email.

I think to be nice, we may want to organize a little better for general ticket sales. If people who have tickets, wait in line with (and for) people who don't, goons stand a good shot of going together.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Pan Dulce posted:

I don't particularly see how this works this year. Two years ago, I got a link and refreshed like a motherfucker until the time and got a number in line. Please explain in smile-as-possible terms for this poor simpleton!

Also, since Wednesday and Saturday were sold out for pre-reg, does that fall over for normal registration, you think? Are all of us normal, sad individuals screwed over to get only two days?

Here's how it worked this year for alumni.
You were given a link and an individual registration code as well as a day and time when registration would open.
At the appointed time, you had 2 hours to enter the waiting room. It didn't matter if you showed up 2 hours or 2 minutes early, you had the same chance of tickets according to CCI. Also, because you had an individual registration code, you couldn't have multiple sessions opened. I confirmed this. It took the last session you had open and kills the other sessions.
When the waiting room closed (2 hours from the first time), everyone waiting was randomized and given a place in line. Sadly we never saw what place in line we were but there was a line. Every 2 minutes, your page would refresh. If you got to the front of the line, you could buy tickets for yourself and up to 2 other people (who had alumni member IDs).
And that's the nuts and bolts. It was orderly and because refreshing the page was utterly detrimental to you, there was no server issue.

Here's what I see happening for gen-pop.
You're required to have a member ID already, I see them sending out individual reg codes to everyone.
Another Saturday, probably early March (I could see March 8th, or 15th THESE DATES ARE CONJECTURE BASED IN NO SOLID FACT). 7 AM PST waiting room opens, 9 AM PST registration actually opens.
Lots of people who don't get tickets saying the whole thing was rigged.

This is sadly the only fair way to do ticket dispersal since they've created a nasty rush. Yes, I still blame them for this mess, it was never this bad until they made a big deal out of the ticket release date.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

I feel like next purchasing round we should use a buddy system because straight up going "who needs a ticket i need a ticket" is not working.

Who wanna be my buddy?

How many tickets are you going for?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Just one

wanna be my buddy?

I'll be your buddy. I'm not going for even one ticket so that helps :)
We should get someone else who wants 1 or 2 tickets. Then we have 3-4 people trying to get tickets. Odds in numbers.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Just to confirm if one person buys for another that other person is locked out of buying for themselves right?

Yes. If you try and buy a ticket after someone's already bought, it'll say something along the lines of "Someone's already purchased tickets for this member ID"

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Neraren posted:

No, you can't.

You can if you start with a different member ID.

The process works that once you get into the front of the line, you can put in any valid member ID you want to buy tickets for. It doesn't have to be yours, it just needs to be 1) a member ID 2) valid 3) not currently with tickets.

Let's run though a scenario similar to the one I did on registration day for alumni. There are 3 people in this scenario, member ids for aguy agirl afriend bfriend, all of which are vying for tickets.

Afriend gets in first with their member ID and buys for afriend, bfriend and aguy. This leaves agirl still needing tickets. So aguy, bfriend and agirl all stay in queue waiting (please note, 2 of these people already had their tickets purchased). Aguy gets to the front of the queue next. Did it tell him he couldn't buy tickets? Not yet. It asked for a member ID. He puts in agirl and proceeds to purchase those tickets without an issue.

If you're playing at home, aguy was able to purchase tickets for agirl even though he already had his own ticket purchased. Just because your ticket has been purchased doesn't mean you should hop out of queue if you still have people you want to get tickets for.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Am I the only one who thinks they're running their timeline weird this year? Like badge sales were shoved way into this year but never did a time shift for everything else.

I could see a scenario where people having to try and get their hotel before they even know they have tickets at this rate.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

If I had to take a stab, I'd say registration is gonna be next Saturday.
http://www.comic-con.org/toucan/attending-comic-con-101-open-online-registration

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

bobula posted:

Oh drat, I hope for several of my friends' sakes that they open member ID registration before open sales. But the page does say it'll reopen AFTER open sales, wah wahhhh.

Member ID registration was open basically up until they made this announcement. There was more than enough time to get a member ID. It's free and takes like 10 minutes to setup.

If your friends even thought they might want to go, they should've created an account.

Jarnet posted:

They usually open up member id reg before the resale, don't they?

Yes, probably the day after open sales, they'll open up registration again. At this point you can shoot for resales.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Woo!!! Called it!

Also, I'm helping Alan Smithee and Pan Dulce if they still need it as long as my wife gets a reg code. Just fyi for you two, if there's a chance I can get her preview night, I'm taking it, otherwise I'm there to help you two (three?) get better odds on passes.

Feel free to coordinate with me: rallyv (at) gmail

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Where my ticket buddies at?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Oh gently caress me in the rear end that's today! Well ill be up, playing some Dark Souls 2 but I'll get ready come time

member ID: [redacted at request]

give me yours when you can

Hit me up by email. Chances are low I'll get what I'm looking for so I'll need your cc info if i get tickets before you.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 23, 2014

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

And here we go.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

And what's with these vagueass messages? No numbering system or anything.

Didn't have numbering for the alumni either. It was very annoying.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

So for those who didn't get it, was it literally vague messages -> oh sorry sold out!

Eh, they use those vague messages to let you know as they run out but rather than hard numbers. You'll see one saying like "preview night is sold out" and poo poo later on.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

batphantom posted:

Goddammit, they're not showing what place you are in line. That blows, I could be sitting here for hours.

No, you'll probably be there for a little more than an hour tops.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Remember, you need member id and last names.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Preview night will be the first to go. You'll get a notice about that.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Jimmy James posted:

My first con was 2005 and I did the thing where I walked up, filled out a card, and went in. I went again in 2007 but knew some professionals and got an extra badge from them since the tickets had sold out online and I assumed I'd be able to walk up and go in. So 2006 or 2007 must have been the first year to sell out.

While lottos are fair, it kills it for people you. The people that go every year for 20 years are the backbone of these types of conventions. At the same time, if they had a stronger grandfathering program, all of the tickets would get bought out by an aging population and the convention would assuredly eventually fade out of relevance.

This reminds me of, as a teenager, I learned that E3 became closed to only press and professionals since it was getting too crowded. It reminds me of how people used to be able to just show and up go watch the Masters tournament back in the 70s and 80s, and now you have to be rich or connected to get in.

I'm still going to comic con, but I'm starting to feel like I do about the NFL. It's cool to go see an NFL game live, just because of the atmosphere, but my house with an HDTV is arguably a better place to actually watch the game, and considerably cheaper.

I stopped going to most panels a few years ago when a friend of mine said the best thing I'd ever heard. "There's always going to be someone with a closer seat and a better camera who's going to upload this to youtube 30 minutes after it's over." It also doesn't help that I realized 90% of panels, especially the big ones are just glorified commercials for a product. The only panel I ever went to that felt genuinely enriched afterwards was last year when they had John Lewis (D-GA) who talked about Martin Luther King, the march on Washington and being arrested 40 times. I guess it's still starfucking but a little different.

I used to do the Hasbro shuffle the first couple years I went. Then one year I showed up at 6 AM to get my ticket and it was for the next day and that was the last time I ever did that. Most exclusives you get from SDCC are almost impossible to flip for even what you paid for them 3 months outside the con. So either a) you have to buy it and immediately flip it if you're trying to make money (and even that's not a sure thing) or b) you wait a couple months for a price fall.

That's not to say this is how everyone should feel. I know people who sitting at the back of Hall H, where you can't even see the stage live, let alone who's on it, is what they live for simply to say you were there. There's people who sleep almost nothing and shower even less just to sit in the shadows or get that one loving toy because it's what they live for and enjoy.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Space_Butler posted:

Sounds like some of you people need to ditch Hall H and head over to the Adult Swim stuff in Indigo if you want to see panels that are genuinely funny, unique, and engaging. I've gone for 2 years now and the panels have consistently cracked me up all day.

I went to the Regular Show panel last year. The panel was great and the questions were actually really engaging. The following panel was Adventure Time. The panel was great too including a guest appearance from Donald Glover w/song but the questions were god loving awful. I was gonna leave after the Adventure Time panel anyway but I left early in the question phase because it was that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Shawn posted:

Apropos of nothing, my wife and I saw Billie Dee Williams at Phoenix Comic-con a year or two ago, and he was AWFUL. Maybe we were spoiled because we had seen Bill Shatner, Leonard Nemoy, Stan Lee and a bunch of other stars who have absolutely got their con poo poo together. But this is exactly what Billie Dee said over and over again, "I dunno, I did it because I wanted to get paid." Worst celebrity I've ever seen give a panel.

From my understanding, Billie Dee basically is Lando. There's nothing he won't do for money but don't expect him to do it well. Just look at his appearance on Dancing with the Stars. He's basically just standing there with his "Lando grin" while his partner does everything around him.

Harrison Ford I hear is a close second to bad panelists, although it depends on the tone set during the questioning. If you jump right out with the Indy and Han questions, he'll just shut the gently caress down but if you actually engage him beyond those characters, he's much better, not great but definitely better.

• Locked thread