Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Soarer posted:

Can't say I'm happy to hear that. I think people will be more pissed of they are RNG'ed to the back of the line than they would be from trying to deal with server load/lag like in the past.

I wouldnt mind losing the Random Number lottery. Thats better than staring at a broken-rear end screen for 5 minutes then finding the SOLD OUT page up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is it possible to refund particular days for badges? Like say you want to not attend Sunday or Thursday.

Or at this point are you stuck with whatever you have?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Satorr posted:

This is so goddamn dumb. How can a service be so unprepared for this in 2014?

IMO everything related to CC needs to be done lottery style with staggered availabilities.

Having tens of thousands of people goonrush their servers is just loving stupid.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Space_Butler posted:

Apparently high demand is now considered a DDoS attack from "someone".
I'm imagining their IT crew in some kind of Minority Report bunker, with klaxons blaring and red pop-up screens everywhere, looking at waveform-replications of their bandwith.

"Shut it down! It's a DDoS attack from.... OH GOD WE DON'T KNOW!"
'But if we pull out now our DNS--'
"IF WE DON'T PULL OUT NOW THERE WON'T BE ANYTHING LEFT"

VvV
I just checked and was able to make a purchase. go time? Aaaaand it's gone again. Hope my order processed. -_-

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 21, 2014

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RevKrule posted:

You can only go downhill until they make serious changes and making the convention center larger is not one of them.
At this point, the only hope is to split off the entertainment aspects of it (TV and Movies) and have a smaller comic-based con as a prelude.

How you do that with poo poo like Marvel movies and Dr. Who is beyond me.

In comparison, I've tried WonderCon and the lack of crossover stuff made it seem much more quaint.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alan Smithee posted:

Wait it actually looks like a good show? And you weren't stoned out of your mind eating Taco Bell?
The show itself looks like a lighthearted self aware take on HannahBarbera properties. We'll see how the writers take the concept and evolve it if it gets wheels. Venture Bros started out just as a take on Johnny Quest after all.

Hilights from Mike on the panel:

* talking about the 1000 pigeons he cares for. And explaining how they either fly or get eaten by a hawk.

* how do you make a character out of mike.
> you expect him to be extreme
M: but I'm not
> Right, so you might expect him to be extreme
M: I'm not though
> yeah its an expectation. You expect an extreme
M: I'm not though.

* Telling the audience that ' we need more Mexicans. More Mexicans in animation. More Mexicans everywhere'

* Detailing his brush ins with the law : paraphrased 'I fight, then I knock them out quick and I'm still hopped up... So I hit someone else, and then the cops come and arrest me... And then there are lawyers... And then a judge..' Etc.

Please tell me someone has this online. Please.

Anyone at Kevin Smith's panel tonight? My friend was seated at the front, so at the end she asked for Smith' name tag (the cardboard thing with the speaker name and comic con logo). He was totally cool about it and tossed it to her...

But the sperghole that asked Smith about Metal music grabbed it out of the air and took off running.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 26, 2014

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Axel Serenity posted:

I don't think anyone realistically considers Anaheim or Los Angeles as options at this point for a variety of factors, mostly to do with floor space and lodging available.

They've made accommodations on certain things like ticket purchasing to be as fair as possible, but it's safe to say that the convention will now hit its cap each and every year until something is done about it. That, in turn, will continue to stress the downtown areas as companies create off-site events to attract people without badges.
I think Anaheim would be a TERRIBLE venue. Whomever suggested it probably forgot that the two hotels that service the immediate ConCenter would create a terrible clog of humanity around most of the outside. There's really not much to do around the place either, unlike the Gaslamp.
Plus, while there are quite a few hotels and motels around, they generally are taken up by Disneyland visitors. (The clusterfuck created by having Disney guests fight for hotels with CC guests would be amazing though).

Los Angeles would be a few steps below Anaheim. There's poo poo for hotels aside from, like, 3. And LA traffic would be a disaster. Plus it's not as squeaky clean as SD downtown.

As for offsite venues, I kind of wish that the stadium would be used to project Hall H overflow or something. Maybe allowing for more streaming of junk would work to reduce attendance pressures. I could see a premium attached to allow access to Hall H streams. I'm sure the piracy logistics would make legal departments cry, though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yoshifan823 posted:

I love SDCC and would love for it to continue to be SDCC for years to come, but in my dream world, C2E2 starts to pick up steam at an even bigger clip and bring in bigger names, solely because I want to be able to go home and sleep in my own bed at night..
CC is pretty well positioned, timewise, because it hangs In a comfy buffer of summer fun time. There's still enough time for LAST MINUTE peaks and reveals, its a good time to start selling folks on upcoming seasons / storylines, and a good time to start the hype wagon for whatever summer blockbuster/ginormous pop culture event happened a month ago.

I can't see an April event pull too much away from that spectacle. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a WonderCon turn and just laser focuses on Comics Comics Comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Axel Serenity posted:

So, this next year will be my first year registering as Press. Is the procedure pretty much the same as what you do for Professional status (what I had the last three years) just with different deadlines? Basically some printouts of our work/websites/employment pages and send it in?

Pretty much:

It's a Cover Letter (basically your info), the Press Application, a letter from your Editor with your outfit's logo, and three articles.

If you make it through, they send you a link to register for the Press Badge sometime before the event. I think I got mine a few days/weeks after the initial sale to the public.

• Locked thread