Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.
Is Pre-Reg any less of a crap shoot than normal Registration?

I've been through normal Registration twice now. Hoping pre-reg goes better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
My friend got me tickets about 10 minutes ago, but this is the third year in a row I've tried to buy tickets and haven't been able to myself.

Still in the waiting room.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

RAi posted:

I never made it in (errored out) but a friend got my 4 days for me. I don't care what anyone says about this being a 'better' process, it's still broken.

Good luck to everyone still waiting for tickets.

I don't think it's broken. Just way more people want to go than can actually go. I still think the lottery system is the best for an event like comic con. You don't want attendance to be 100% grandfathered or you wouldn't get the influx of youth and new people.

EDIT: I got in after 90 minutes.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Now they have this lotto nonsense and I'm hopping mad!

:words:

My first con was 2005 and I did the thing where I walked up, filled out a card, and went in. I went again in 2007 but knew some professionals and got an extra badge from them since the tickets had sold out online and I assumed I'd be able to walk up and go in. So 2006 or 2007 must have been the first year to sell out.

While lottos are fair, it kills it for people you. The people that go every year for 20 years are the backbone of these types of conventions. At the same time, if they had a stronger grandfathering program, all of the tickets would get bought out by an aging population and the convention would assuredly eventually fade out of relevance.

This reminds me of, as a teenager, I learned that E3 became closed to only press and professionals since it was getting too crowded. It reminds me of how people used to be able to just show and up go watch the Masters tournament back in the 70s and 80s, and now you have to be rich or connected to get in.

I'm still going to comic con, but I'm starting to feel like I do about the NFL. It's cool to go see an NFL game live, just because of the atmosphere, but my house with an HDTV is arguably a better place to actually watch the game, and considerably cheaper.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

XOIC of Radishes posted:

There are a lot of potentially "unfun" things you end up doing at Comic-con such as standing lines, and they are going to take up a majority of your time. If you aren't doing anything to make more of/the most of these situations, you're going to end up being pretty miserable at the end of the day. I've never attended a panel that was worth the stress and worry of wondering whether I was going to make it in or not. I'm not saying that you need to get all buddy-buddy with people next to you in line in order to discover the True Meaning of Comic-Con, but if you're always thinking about the next thing, you'll miss everything.

Also, yeah, panels can mean different things for different people. I'm not that interested in the content of the television show/movie panels, but I love feeling the energy in the room when a big reveal happens. Otherwise I think my favorite panels are the ones that focus on "people" more than a particular subject. For example, Kevin Smith.

I went to the Game of Thrones and Walking Dead panels last year, and I whole-heartedly regretted standing in line for it. Most actors are kind of boring people to listen to. The best ones for me last year were Matt Stone and Trey Parker with a "I Know That Voice" in front of it. I'm going to stick to comedic actors, voice actors, and industry professionals. It sounded like all of the adult swim panels were great last year just by virtue of how funny the people are who do them. And industry professionals seem to be more forthcoming and generally have more interesting things to say. I'd pick a panel with the creator/director/personal assistant of something rather than the star of something all day.

They really need to start screening fan questions at a lot of these panels too. There are a lot of bad or repetitive questions.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
So which hotels have the most rooms? Is it usually easier to get a room in those?

I don't really care where I get room downtown, I just want one.

Edit: Is calling the hotline a legitimate strategy?

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
I clicked submit at 9:00 PST and 50 seconds. So I probably filled the form out in about 45 seconds. Autofill could have saved me about 10 seconds, but my work computers are still on IE8 (What are they on now? 11?). My friend who was using a touchpad instead of a mouse took like 2-3 minutes. I'm nervous as all hell too.

I clicked book me at a higher rate even though I'm not sure what that means. I hope it doesn't mean 800 dollars.

Edit: looking back at my chat logs it was more like 1 minute and 45 seconds. Time was just a blur.

Jimmy James fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 9, 2014

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

If you don't get parking IN the convention center there's ONE COOL TRICK to getting cheap parking that They Don't Want You To Know About

Can you also tell me how to lose 10 lbs in 2 weeks and make 20 grand a month without leaving my house?

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
I just got my comfirmation for my first choice: Embassy Suites. My submission clocked in at 1 min 50 seconds. My fiance finished 5-10 seconds later and got Embassy Suites too as a first choice. I didn't even bother selecting any hotels within 3 blocks. I'm curious how quickly those filled up.

They are definitely going in alphabetical order.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

RevKrule posted:

As an FYI, the Hotel Del is THE hotel of Coronado. You'll have a more comfortable stay there than possibly 90% of the other hotels on the list and backs up directly to the beach.

However, if you're going to SD just for con, you're better off finagling a back reservation that someone else has.

By normal vacation standards, it's the best hotel on the list. It's the only hotel that people actually visit even if they aren't staying there. But yeah, can access is a little harder.

Edit: Our extra Embassy Suites room is up for grabs if transfers are an option. Two double beds and a roll out couch is how it's advertised. -- Mobius has dibs.

Jimmy James fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 12, 2014

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Mobius 1 posted:

Hey, you wouldn't possibly still have this room would you? I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands for you as I struck out this year and got nothing.

You can have it. I sent you a PM. I'll send you some contact info to get hold of me today.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Beast of Bourbon posted:

As someone at least tangentially involved in the party planning process for SDCC vendors, they're just locking in venues right now and usually invites go out 2-3 weeks before an event.

What are these parties we speak of, and how do you get invited?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Space_Butler posted:

Does anyone know where you go to redeem tickets given out in panels for goodies? In Indigo they mentioned it maybe twice the entire day and never again.

It's in the Grand Hyatt.

• Locked thread