Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Periodiko posted:

I feel like there's basically two ways to do a correspondent piece: pretend to be a crazy monster and make your character half the joke (Jones and Sam Bee, most of the old correspondents) or be a likable, witty audience surrogate that just says the stuff we wish we could say (Williams, Aasif Mandvi). I feel like Klepper hasn't really landed on a specific voice: he occasionally plays stupid, but he doesn't stay in character as hard as guys like Colbert or Jones would. In the atheist/diner piece, he tried an audience surrogate approach. I think he just lacks a consistent angle, or character.

Klepper is actually doing the latter option to a T. He makes his subjects look like insane people and lands by the book ironic and sarcastic burns on them like those segments are supposed to go, but he just doesn't stand out at it. I guess it's just been done so much at this point that doing a perfectly competent field piece in that style doesn't really do much to differentiate him. Jessica does largely the same in recorded stuff, with better delivery, but she really really shines in her non-bottled bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, I think saying Klepper is bad isn't really fair to him because of the overall quality of the group right now. Josh Gad, as great as he turned out to be in Book of Mormon, suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked as a correspondent. Mo Rocca is also smug incarnate. Klepper's working to find his niche in an increasingly diverse and talented pool. He's doing fine.

I still maintain, incidentally, that Olivia Munn would've turned out well had they gotten more time to work with her style. Wyatt Cenac comes to mind as the closest comparison of someone who got off to a bad start but eventually revealed a lot of potential; I feel like Munn fell into that boat but ended up wandering off to do other things before it could really happen.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I feel like doing a good field piece and having good banter with Jon et al. in the studio are two very different things. Al Madrigal could get Jon (and us) to crack up in-person, but usually struggled with the field bits.

Someone like Jason Jones does nothing for me in the studio, but regularly puts up great interviews.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Does Jessica Williams have any stand-up shows available? For some reason I can't see her being that good at it, even though she's fantastic on TDS.

Lucania
May 1, 2009

Pander posted:

Does Jessica Williams have any stand-up shows available? For some reason I can't see her being that good at it, even though she's fantastic on TDS.

I don't think she does stand-up shows. All I've heard mentioned with her is improv. She's performed with the Upright Citizens Brigade.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I feel like this is a good as time as any to remind you all to watch A Colbert Christmas this season.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mo0 posted:

Yeah, I think saying Klepper is bad isn't really fair to him because of the overall quality of the group right now. Josh Gad, as great as he turned out to be in Book of Mormon, suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked as a correspondent. Mo Rocca is also smug incarnate. Klepper's working to find his niche in an increasingly diverse and talented pool. He's doing fine.

I still maintain, incidentally, that Olivia Munn would've turned out well had they gotten more time to work with her style. Wyatt Cenac comes to mind as the closest comparison of someone who got off to a bad start but eventually revealed a lot of potential; I feel like Munn fell into that boat but ended up wandering off to do other things before it could really happen.

Olivia Munn wasn't nearly the worst of all time, but I would argue her stage presence was. She was not cut out for that role at all.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
On the other hand, her Tiger Mothering report is one of my favorites of all time so I'll always be grateful for her time on the show.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
My favourite Klepper bit is his intro segment where he kept nervously referring to Jon as "dad". If he'd stuck with that gimmick it could have turned into a good running gag.

As it is I think he's perfectly competent and probably would have even stuck out as a star in an earlier era without the incredibly strong bench they have now.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I feel like this is a good as time as any to remind you all to watch A Colbert Christmas this season.
A friend of mine played Colbert's legs in that one shot. You probably know which one I'm talking about.

I'm just mentioning this because he'll also be doing a live script reading of The Interview, as Franco's character in NYC. The New York Times even wrote about it. He's a funny guy.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Afro posted:

I really like Klepper.

The worst in recent memory is definitely Josh Gad though.
But he did one of my favorite bits ever :(

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/video-playlists/s2803w/the-best-of-josh-gad/qst60i

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Jesus I wasted 4 minutes in that garbage

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Diogines posted:

Goons. It has been an honor and a privilege to watch the Colbert Report with you for years.

Just wanted to pop in and say my farewells to a show I will miss dearly. I'll always thank The Colbert Report for giving us the Maurice Sendak interviews, which are my favorite moments in all of TV.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say my farewells to a show I will miss dearly. I'll always thank The Colbert Report for giving us the Maurice Sendak interviews, which are my favorite moments in all of TV.

I also loved those segments. If you want to cry like a little child, listen to the Fresh Air interview

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Turambar posted:

I also loved those segments. If you want to cry like a little child, listen to the Fresh Air interview

Thank you for this.

My other all-time favorite moment was when Colbert covered the product placement in soap operas and a box of Cheerios took a bullet for him.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
We're also going to need a new title for the 2015 Daily Show/Nightly Show thread. Sadly, the Report ending takes away half of the viable quotes.

It'll still be a few more months before TVIV has to decide whether Colbert's Late Show needs its own thread or could be lumped in with the rest of late night TV.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

We're also going to need a new title for the 2015 Daily Show/Nightly Show thread. Sadly, the Report ending takes away half of the viable quotes.

It'll still be a few more months before TVIV has to decide whether Colbert's Late Show needs its own thread or could be lumped in with the rest of late night TV.

I'm going to make a crazy prediction here and say it won't need its own thread.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm gonna make a crazier prediction and say the first year will get its own thread due to goonrush then gradually it'll be absorbed into the general late night chat as people stop going nuts over it like Conan at the beginning.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Echo Chamber posted:

The Daily/Nightly Show 2015: We'll meet again, Don't know where, Don't know when :smith:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

swickles posted:

The Daily/Nightly Show 2015: We'll meet again, Don't know where, Don't know when :smith:

I think for at least the first few months the most appropriate one would be "....Jon?"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

jojoinnit posted:

I'm gonna make a crazier prediction and say the first year will get its own thread due to goonrush then gradually it'll be absorbed into the general late night chat as people stop going nuts over it like Conan at the beginning.

Did Conan even get his own thread? I don't know, I love Colbert but the late night talk show formula is loving cancer.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It really is. We're so exposed to celebrities now that it doesn't really matter. We see them in candid situations on gossip mags, websites, Twitter and all other social media. I get an ad everywhere I go for the next big blockbuster. Frankly, very few stars have real charisma either. But what can you do? It's relatively stable for the Big 3, but none of these shows will ever have an impact like the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and the field is incredibly diluted on top of that legacy.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Boywhiz88 posted:

It really is. We're so exposed to celebrities now that it doesn't really matter. We see them in candid situations on gossip mags, websites, Twitter and all other social media. I get an ad everywhere I go for the next big blockbuster. Frankly, very few stars have real charisma either. But what can you do? It's relatively stable for the Big 3, but none of these shows will ever have an impact like the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and the field is incredibly diluted on top of that legacy.

On top of that the interviews are far and away their worst aspect. The only one I watch is Conan and I usually just skip the show after the first 15-20 minutes. Unless it's someone I really like and who does good late night gigs or is an animal act and therefore innately unpredictable, it's gonna be the same typically boring poo poo 8 times a week. For real, ditch the guests or at least one of them, do more remotes, more skits, hell even make the monologue a few minutes more would do a hell of a lot to get more watching time out of me. Case in point for someone who says he hates video games his reviews get more genuine positive reaction out of him than almost anything in the interview segment. Hell he even seems to have more fun doing remotes with celebrities than he does having them on the loving set. It's baffling.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Boywhiz88 posted:

And still, British talk shows manage to be funny and interesting.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm really not sure why late night British shows are so great.

Same thing for the XFactor, too.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

CSM posted:

Is it me, or is Jordan Klepper the worst correspondent in Daily Show history?

Olivia Munn wins by far on that score.

Any non-US goons get tired of the abusive amount of ads on the website? They (ads not goons) actually drove me away from watching on the web. "Ad block" yeah but ... :effort:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Olivia Munn wins by far on that score.

Any non-US goons get tired of the abusive amount of ads on the website? They (ads not goons) actually drove me away from watching on the web. "Ad block" yeah but ... :effort:

lol Getting adblock is effortless.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

^ I am ultra-cautious about downloading any software.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Adblock is a browser plugin.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm really not sure why late night British shows are so great.

Same thing for the XFactor, too.

As far as Graham Norton at least, I'd wager it's because it only comes on once a week.

US weeknight talk shows I feel mainly exist due to tradition, and the shitfit people would have if their nostalgia were to be destroyed.
Also, because they probably have absolutely nothing else worth showing at that time of night.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

^ I am ultra-cautious about downloading any software.

Shouldn't you be way more cautious about seedy ads that can do nasty stuff to your computer just by having them on your screen?

Unless that sort of thing has been done away with in the last decade.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

lol Getting adblock is effortless.

Adblock doesn't work 75%+ of the time on hulu for me. It's actually easier to just watch it with commercials and restart the feed at commercial breaks so I can watch a 30 second ad instead of 4 minutes worth.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

IRQ posted:

Did Conan even get his own thread? I don't know, I love Colbert but the late night talk show formula is loving cancer.

Cancer? Really?

Calm down, people. It's a cheap, fun little combination of stand-up comedy, sketch comedy, and conversations with potentially interesting people. That's a nice format in a massive television landscape that has plenty of room for it. That is not a fatal disease. Maybe it's not completely hilarious and fascinating five nights a week every week of the year, but at worst it's harmless TV you turn off and then go to sleep. It's not the goddamned consumption. Enough with the "my taste is the right taste" hyperbole.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
How many writers would a show need to to 40min of new comedy 5-nights a weeks, months on end?

I just treat all the shows as, short stand up, short bit, then ignore the interviews and musical guest. They are at best 10-15min shows, including TDS.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Frostwerks posted:

Adblock doesn't work 75%+ of the time on hulu for me. It's actually easier to just watch it with commercials and restart the feed at commercial breaks so I can watch a 30 second ad instead of 4 minutes worth.

Yeah, this is true of a few streaming services. I don't mind the ads so much on Hulu, though. Most of the time I'm just watching a couple episodes of something there.

PowerBuilder3 posted:

How many writers would a show need to to 40min of new comedy 5-nights a weeks, months on end?

I just treat all the shows as, short stand up, short bit, then ignore the interviews and musical guest. They are at best 10-15min shows, including TDS.

Some interviewers are very good, but they're pretty rare. Craig Ferguson was the only one where it'd be foolish to skip any part of the show in recent memory. Who knows, Colbert could also be great at interviews out of character.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I am strongly considering re-watching all Colbert report and am wondering if it would be just as good as it was the first time, even if the events he talks about are no longer current. I have missed so many episodes over the years, and I would kinda like to catch up.

I have looked online to see if it can be bought on dvd/blueray or any other medium but I have not found anything other than The best of Colbert. I would really prefer not to resort to illegal downloading or illegal streaming if it can be avoided.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Typically talk shows wouldn't get a "complete" release or even a "comprehensive clips" release. If you're lucky enough to be in the U.S., I believe most of the show's stuff should still be on the official comedy central website; except for the ones where the music rights are tied up.

If you live outside the US... good luck.

Sadly, NBC purged the online clips of the Late Night portions of the Conan/Jon/Stephen crossover all the way back from the writers strike.

So what's Larry Wilmore's most memorable line from TDS? Maybe that should be the 2015 thread title.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
At least there's a bunch of clips on youtube.

I wasn't aware that Colbert was such a Lord of the Ring fan. I just saw the two clips of him schooling James Franco, and it was brutal.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Dalael posted:

I wasn't aware that Colbert was such a Lord of the Ring fan. I just saw the two clips of him schooling James Franco, and it was brutal.

He spent some time in New Zealand hanging out on the set, won a trivia contest (beating screenwriter Philippa Boyens), has a cameo in one of the Hobbit movies and has a "real" Sting. You could say he's a bit of a fan

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Turambar posted:

He spent some time in New Zealand hanging out on the set, won a trivia contest (beating screenwriter Philippa Boyens), has a cameo in one of the Hobbit movies and has a "real" Sting. You could say he's a bit of a fan

Didn't Viggo Mortensen also give him Aragorn's sword?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

richardfun posted:

Didn't Viggo Mortensen also give him Aragorn's sword?

Viggo showed up in character as Aragon to pledge his service to him when he announced he was running for President.

• Locked thread