Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Rocketeer Korolev posted:

Wasn't there a segment on The Colbert Report years ago where Stephen did a dumb little imitation of a Chinese person drinking tea? I think he got some weird little praise from it, probably from a Chinese-American organization but I'm not sure.

Anyways, that #CancelColbert hashtag is still just plain dumb.

That bit was reused for the clip they're complaining about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

jerichojx posted:

As a Chinese man, I unironically found Mr Ching Chong Ding Dong absolutely hilarious and his daily omission from The Colbert Report an outright shame.

As a Chinese man I thought it was a stupid bit.

Though I've been called an oriental before so that probably hurt the bit for me.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Shouldn't it be the reverse? Only a sociopath would be proud to have served in such a terrible war?

So why would they want to think of themselves as sociopaths?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

raditts posted:

It's the narcissism borne of social media taken to its logical conclusion.

I like the idea of being able to look at something and get information on it or a translation of it. I appreciate having technology that will eventually lead to that even if I think google glass itself looks stupid and seems to be used for creepy purposes.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

LeafyOrb posted:

To be honest it's kind of a lazy way to be more inclusive. Instead of making new heroes who aren't white guys they just change the old ones even though everyone knows the old hero is going to come back eventually. I can see Miles sticking around for a long time, but neither of these two.

It seems generally more effective though. Most new heroes don't last and changing legacy characters at least seems to give them a shot at sticking around. Besides nobody wants new characters in films so it's the fastest possible way to get comic movie diversification.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Majorian posted:

I honestly am not seeing how this gives them a better shot at sticking around, or it trickling into movie casting for that matter. As much as I like John Stewart, Hal Jordan is always going to be way better known as Green Lantern. I'm not holding my breath at seeing Stewart as GL in any upcoming movies.

I was really thinking Nick Fury. This is a difficult argument as there really haven't been too many successes with any attempt at comic racial diversification so it's hard to determine what actually works. However John Stewart, Jaime Reyes and Ultimate Nick Fury have actually been capable of transitioning to animated series and films and they strike me as being successes because their legacy gave them enough name recognition that they didn't immediately get rejected due to obscurity.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

LeafyOrb posted:

Nick Fury is definitely the exception not the rule on these things though. Samuel L. Jackson defines Nick Fury as a character to such an extent these days that I surprised it's taken them this long to replace White Nick Fury in the main universe.

Maybe we just need to start obviously shoehorning celebrities into superhero roles. I think Mindy Kaling could make a good Wasp?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Acquilae posted:

lmao did I just see that the cops seized church donations?

I actually worked a case with the ACLU where the cops took the donations from a Latino minister even though he had receipts, brochures, and a PowerPoint presentation of his church on him. They gutted his backseat too.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Sean Hannity's lack of awareness is so great.

Didn't Colbert already do all the things Hannity mentioned? He performed in Iraq.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

An upcoming Jason Jones bit about the Washington Redskins is already making headlines.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...b92f_story.html

That's pretty hilarious.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

raditts posted:

Has Larry Wilmore been in anything else notable? I like him as a correspondent but it's really hard to gauge how he'll be as a host.

Is it wrong that I want Jessica to usurp power from him immediately? Like if she popped out of nowhere to consume his heart and take on his hosting powers I'd be cool with that.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Lady Gaga wishes she could be David Bowie, and he is in the Prince category. :colbert:

That's unfair. Gaga and Prince are only human. David Bowie is some kind of magic elf thing.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Is butt monkey the technical term?

Would you prefer rear end ape?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

I'll miss Colbert. I can't stand Wilmore's voice and his continuing refusal to be Jessica Williams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

TealShark posted:

Klepper reminds me a lot of the classic Daily Show correspondents (Colbert, Carrell, Oliver, Brown, etc.) without any of the special magic that made all of them great. Which is too bad, because I miss the "... Jon?" style correspondent bits.

He's like an off brand diet lukewarm Jason Jones to me. He's not bad per se but it really feels more like he's mimicking other correspondents then actually performing.

I like him more than Sam Bee and 3/4 of modern day Lewis Black.

• Locked thread