Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's a weird thing I've noticed lately where if you tune into Fox News during the day you'll hear a lot of the same vile stuff repeated by everyone and none of the actual story of the day or elements that hurt their case mentioned, which is usual. But then if you turn on Smith he'll take a deep breath and say "here's what happened." Then for an hour it almost seems like he's desperately trying to tell the dedicated Fox News viewer what the news is before the assholes at The Five or whatever get back on track.

It's like he's some kind of pow just trying to do what he can. It's odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Steve Vader posted:

Despite his occasional glimpses of sanity, Shep still is mostly a mouthpiece, isn't he? It's just when we see the humanity, we make a big deal out of it because it's nonexistent there. But for the most part, doesn't he tend to toe the party line?

I don't watch him regularly or pretend to have a great familiarity but my take is that he's Republican and I don't like his policies or agree with his politics, but he's human and he doesn't ignore the poo poo or twist it the way the others on Fox News do. It doesn't mean I like his views or agree with him, it just means he doesn't make my skin crawl and he's got some integrity.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"I'm getting mad at liberals!" suddenly made me realize how loving weird it's going to be to see Colbert consistengly out of character next year.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not a regular viewer of the late night shows on the networks but my impression has always been that they're like 1/3 to 1/2 standup and bits by the host and staff. So really, we're probably getting MORE Colbert comedy per night (more nights a week) and you can just skip the interviews there too.

The bigger concerns should probably be if he has a change of writing staff, if he has trouble without the character, or if the extra workload burns him out quicker.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was never a huge Colbert fan. I don't deny his talent and enjoyed the act, it just had a tendency to wear thin on me so I never really watched it for more than a couple of weeks at a time. But I watched the last month or so and I'm kind of surprised how into it I got. I've watched this farewell five times tonight, which really shocks me. It was just very well done. Sentimental without being sappy or losing the weird wit of Colbert. Instead of making a big show and pageantry he does a weird bit with one of the old bits in Cheating Death, does another musical number as he loves them, has all those people take part as it shows they all cared enough to take the time to be part of it, then another weird little goodbye, and then the very sweet Stewart Moment of Zen.

It got to me and I wasn't really expecting that because even though I was there nine years ago I haven't been watching steady and didn't consider myself a fan. But good is good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Wilmore is going to get heavily scrutinized no matter what. He's bound to have hiccups and problems from the start and people are bound to be disappointed and compare him badly to Colbert.

The key will be Comedy Central giving him enough time to work out the kinks and find his style and voice. And then for fans to get over Colbert. That will take time and hopefully Stewart's involvement will give him the wiggle room.

Or it might suck. But only time will tell.

The timing still sucks with John Oliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm fine with Klepper. I don't think he's revolutionizing anything and he's definitely not delivering like Williams or Mandvi but I don't think he detracts from his bits and they tend to make me laugh at least a little. There's definitely been way worse that have done nothing for me, even if none of them seem to be around right now.

So he's probably the worst the show has right now but they've got a pretty solid crop at the moment so he's far from the worst ever. And as said I think his main problem is he hasn't quite figured out his voice/character.

• Locked thread