Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Some of my favorite gifs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I really love the Frontline voice.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

No.1 Special posted:

Also Colbert has a Chinese ripoff?
I remembered a few years back a Chinese web talk show ripped off Conan's opening titles. If it's anything like that, it's probably just the opening titles that were copied.

Though, the idea of a Colbert-esque talk show in China satirizing Chinese nationalism and hypocrisy sounds like a program I'd kind of want to check out.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Colbert guest hosted Selected Shorts, a WNYC program. Aasif Mandvi is one of the readers in this episode. This is barely worth mentioning in this thread, but if one of you guys might care, why not share.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I've been pretty pessimistic with the lack of political heroes lately, but Bill de Blasio's rise to power during the mayoral primary race was one of the few apparently good stories, in light of how I've been annoyed with Cory Booker and simply hate Chris Christie. De Blasio really attached himself to the issue of economic equality and justice more so than any other major tri-state politician, Dem or GOP, in recent memory. It was really great to see how his message eventually won despite how it looked like he wasn't even supposed to win. (He wasn't postured as the "establishment favorite" and he wasn't the biggest name.) I really hope his eventual achievements will live up to at least half of what he promised.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Both shows had awkward interviews.

Stewart seemed like he knew more about what was in the book than Kolbert. And she kept bobbing her head.

Charlie Crist probably felt awkward there getting interviewed after Colbert did two sketches about gays. If you haven't seen the documentary "Outrage", he not only was he once a Republican, but an anti-gay closeted gay Republican.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

haveblue posted:

What is this movie
A feature length music video for Philip Glass' awesome music.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm not impressed with House of Cards.

If you already know politicians are full of poo poo, the show really doesn't have much to say after that. We have a protagonist whose plans and schemes always work, even when they apparently don't. There's little drama. There's characterization, but not much character development. I said some nice things about the first season, but I really wanted to like it because I was paying for it. The second season is mostly more of the same.

TVIV groupthink is overwhelmingly positive though.

I'm surprised how little buzz Alpha House has generated everywhere. Stephen pops up in the first two episodes.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Wasn't posted in this thread yet, here's the trailer for Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Someone who is not a millennial explaining millennials to Jon Stewart.

He could have done more to express how we actually aren't that happy with living with parents and our inability to find entry-level full time work. Alright, I'll stop venting here; that D&D thread is still around, right?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but Andrew Napolitano made me more angry than when the typical shitlord shows up as a guest on TDS.

1. Lincoln played a role in both the Emancipation Proclamation and the 13th Amendment.
2. Slavery wasn't dying. I'm glad those scholars made it perfectly clear.
3. Neither Lincoln, the Union, or the South knew how many people would die at the start of the Civil War. Most people first thought it'd only last a few months. And that's doesn't even consider how many people would die in the next 100 years if the U.S. continued to balkanize.
4. Andrew Napolitano gave lip service for slave rebellions, but I've seen many people preach what he preached and they'll just invent new reasons to hate John Brown, Nat Turner, or the Haitian Revolution for doing exactly that. "They were too violent because..."
5. Seriously, buying the slaves' freedom, even if you somehow ignore the abhorrent idea of placing a price tag on people, doesn't loving work. Even poor white southerners who didn't own slaves aspired to. Owning property, including people, was ingrained into the psyche of many and most whites in the slave economy.

I could go on.

And seeing Andrew Napolitano's revisionism of Fort Sumter reminds me of WWII Japanese apologists who continue to argue that America forced Japan to attack Pearl Harbor. "Look what you made me do!"

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 12, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Since there's no shows this coming week, might as well :regd08:

White & Nerdy

Philip Glass music from that gorilla movie (doesn't match up too well, but proves footage is versatile enough for anti-McConnell ads)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Just remember... it's a feature; not a bug. Ed Schultz is MSNBC.

I remember Don Lemon was portrayed by TDS as CNN's last sane man maybe two or three years ago. Sadly, his equal air time for psuedo science is only one of his many stupid moments in the past few months.

Never noticed the resemblance between LBJ and Cranston before.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I hope when the Carter Library plays this episode on loop, they'll cut the reference to the Argo movie.

Also...

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I always got the impression that Colbert enjoyed doing the Ching Chong Ding Dong impression more than he really should have. (Not the biggest fan of it, to be honest.) And I do think it's strange that Colbert keeps referencing "Asian Media Watch", which isn't a real organization as far as I can tell.

But this week's bit though is hardly a "last straw" bit, considering how he didn't actually do the impression; but only played a clip of it.

I'll admit I follow Suey Park on Twitter, and agree with her more than the typical goon. I'm reluctant to dismiss her despite her really short fuse. (I really liked the #NotYourAsianSidekick hashtag she started, for example.)

I hope this controversy can die down with as little bad blood as possible. It's already a "trending" story according to Facebook and Bing at least. I guess it's a tough spot to be in.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Ainsley McTree posted:

Did he do Ching Chong Ding Dong more than once? I only remember it from one occasion, the clip he played on this week's show.

I was under the impression that "Ching Chong Ding Dong is a regular beloved character" was part of the joke, and the fictional "Asian media watch" hounding him about it was part of said joke (I figured that the Ching Chong Ding Dong letterhead thing was a giveaway) but it's been years, I could be forgetting things.
He maybe did it 5 or 6 times throughout the course of the entire show's run, using a tangential racial controversy as a setup.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't disagree that this might be the best way maintain the peace.

And if this happens, it's probably best if Stephen doesn't aggressively stay in character and he lets her speak.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

raditts posted:

The best way would be not to dignify idiots on twitter who are screaming for your show's cancellation because they refuse to understand satire.
I also see plenty of people "refusing to understand" her point.

I've defended Stewart and Colbert against the D&D critics. I highly doubt Colbert wanted the "controversy", for lack of a better word, to escalate this much. And even if someone was wrong to call you out, it wouldn't hurt to tell your worst defenders (people making rape threats or turning this into another faux free speech "limits of comedy" issue) to disarm.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 29, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

UltraShame posted:

What is her point? Not a snarky question, honest - from what I've read, I just can't discern if she has a cogent point to make.
I might be getting it wrong but it might be something along the lines of how she finds it annoying that Asians have become the go-to race as metaphor to mock the absurdity of racism against other groups. (I'm sick of the "ironic racism is still sort of racist" discussion, but I won't hold it against people who still want to have it.) Angry Asian Man, a more "mainstream" internet personality, also reiterated this sentiment.

Colbert creates organization with a racist name it's obviously understood as satirical, but calls to cancel Colbert is read as literal.

And Colbert isn't above criticism anyway.

And the combine that with how Suey Park doesn't have the habit of sanitizing her opinions to make them more palatable with white liberals.

People like Michelle Malkin (gently caress that lady) have contorted it to her agenda.

Other bloggers who want their paycheck also escalated the story with headlines like "Gook doesn't understand comedy".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I was also just concerned on a pragmatic level.

When Jezebel did its hit piece on The Daily Show (which was a totally frivolous), there were still plenty of people turned off at how Stewart responded or didn't respond. And they still hold it against Stewart today. And these were people way less "toxic" and more mainstream than Suey Park.

If Colbert barely responds and lets it blow over rather than actively defuse it, more people would let this minor incident leave a bad taste in the back of their mind.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

raditts posted:

I don't even remember the Jezebel thing, let alone ever heard of anyone who was turned off the show because of it.
Stewart is still surprisingly controversial among mainstream internet feminists, and I'm not even referring to the to the Tumblr sinkhole.

Yeah, I decided to unfollow Suey Park for now. While she occasionally articulates something that I wish more people would say; I realized that I have been making more excuses for her than I really should considering the arbitrary fights she picks. I'm not completely ruling her out; there simply a lot of people I don't follow. Jeff Yang wrote a piece that I still thought was generous to Park, but he's already taking heat for it. (You can imagine the hate tweets he's been getting.)

I still think Colbert had more fun doing Ching Chong Ding Dong than he should really have, and he used similar moments with Limbaugh as a mere excuse to do it. Maybe him quietly retiring the bit will be one positive side effect of all this.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

rjryan3 posted:

I'm still confused on what happened in that fiasco; Jon Stewart hires Olivia Munn and that makes him a sexist... how? And people still hold a grudge against him even after Munn hasn't appeared on the show in years? Every thing about that incident just screams "opportunist" on Jezebel part.
Jezebel in a nutshell.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah, I slept on it some more and saw her decide that Jeff Yang and Kristina Wong were ENEMIES, and now I'm not going to defend Suey Park at all. Good riddance.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It was because up until Saturday afternoon when people like Yang and Wong were still trying to engage with her that I was still trying to make some sense of her criticisms and the means she exercised. ("If Colbert can be hyperbolic and ironic, what's to say #CancelColbert isn't?" and other excuses/gymnastics like that.) Then she referred to Malkin as a "better friend" than Jeff Yang ever was, because Yang dared say there were limits to the effectiveness of Twitter as medium to communicate ideas.

Some of her followers were trying to steer "the conversation", for lack of a better description, back to the original issue by attempting to get her to endorse #CancelRedskins, but she accused them of TRIGGERING her.

Ever since I decided she's not worth defending, it managed to bring a certain peace of mind I haven't had since this became a bullshit story in the first place.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Colbert responded well.

I guess I'm part of the problem now.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm looking at Shrimp Boy's official Facebook page. It's bizarre as hell.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

amaranthine posted:

She's actually a really solid legal analyst, it's kind of unfortunate that everyone thinks of Slate as "the stupid contrarians" because there are some good people that write there.
I noticed there was a lot of "I think..." in her language last night.

We know these are your opinions. She could drop all the "I think..." and "We believe...". She doesn't need a safety net; the court is wrong. The justices already have the bench. Don't give them another inch.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
"Wow, they successfully ended The Colbert Report!"

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I wasn't too fond of both guests on Colbert.

Mozilla Man wasn't expressing a candid opinion. He invested a ridiculous amount of cash into Prop 8, which for a time made the lives of same sex couples in California definitively worse. Asking people to temporarily change their internet browser isn't a huge lifestyle change. If some company boss openly and unambiguously expressed racist beliefs and cynically decided to invest thousands of dollars to get laws passed that would enforce that racism, you bet I would take my business elsewhere. They weren't entitled to my money to begin with.

"Shattering the corporate glass ceiling" is the least offensive form of feminism; it's designed to be palatable for the corporate world. I don't want to belittle the adversity women face for their ambitions, but I don't want to see more future kids conditioned from the start to believe that becoming a CEO is the only meaningful form of life realization. If this person advocated a future life of charity, artistic, scientific, political or public leadership for young girls, I'd be more open to the message. (And also, the line between "bossy" and "bully" is not that clear cut...)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

haveblue posted:

How much? I thought it was just the one $1000 donation.
$1000 is a lot to many people. Especially considering the cause.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Have Jessica Williams take over the "Stephen Colbert" character.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Echo Chamber formally nominates Jessica Williams to host Comedy Central's 11:30 show.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Even though the timeslot will be up against Colbert, I can't imagine Comedy Central surrendering its 11:30 audience completely to Stephen and CBS. I find very likely they'll get Stewart's input in developing whatever they plan to do with that half hour after TDS. I can easily imagine Stewart and Comedy Central grooming one of TDS's current or recent correspondents for that half hour block. I made it clear which person I'm rooting for.

I remember everything Comedy Central did at 11:30 before The Colbert Report was junk programming. Even if you like Colin Quinn, I don't see a huge overlap with his five fans and The Daily Show. And I imagine CC would still prefer launching a promising career then giving it back to a has-been. (And I also remember Adam Carolla's brief stint at 11:30, which was hilariously awful and way worse than Quinn.)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Report's been on since 2005. When it ends, we'd have over nine years. We got to see him act as a cheerleader for one president and a critic of another. I'm not going to complain. I also don't fault Colbert for wanting to try something different after a decade.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

CSM posted:

Yes, who can fault Colbert for wanting to do something much shittier for much more money?
People telling him to refuse promotion? To play the same character for another ten years?

I'm surprised Stephen was able to keep his character pretty fresh this long.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm still not sure if people outside the U.S. realize how big the Penn State scandal was a few years back. That Paterno getting fired made the university president losing his job a footnote in the headlines.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I know Comedy Central cancelled SportsDome and didn't pick up Onion News Network. Not sure if that's supposed to be bridge-burning.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Can someone start a John Oliver thread? I don't have HBO, so I won't be watching it as it airs, so someone else should.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So I take it the yogurt thing was maybe some state legislatures finding a minimal consequence issue to demonstrate to kids on a field trip how a bill becomes a law and how the legislative process works, but it inadvertently escalated into a real debate about loving nothing at the taxpayer's expense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The official Facebook page just confirmed it too.

In 2015, we'll have Stewart, Wilmore, Oliver, and Colbert all with their own shows. :allears:

edit: i'm getting too old

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 10, 2014

• Locked thread