Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

haveblue posted:

It wouldn't be the first time they had someone on for a bit that was both a one-note joke and a plug (see Jeff Goldblum).

"The Matt Damon Booth". :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Yeesh, that first segment on Colbert was loving painful to watch. :ohdear:

I mean, gently caress, I don't personally relish at the thought of clamoring for some guy's head on a platter and him losing a job, but talk about swinging the pendulum way too loving far on that one.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Aw man. Now I feel bad for slagging him over last night's show. :ohdear:

Sad to say that I probably won't be giving him much of my time once he peaces out to late night, though. As funny as he is, I almost always tune out during his interviews unless it's some magical combination. Maybe dropping the character will make him have a better give/take with the guest du jour, but I find myself wholly apathetic at the prospect of trading in the Report for the chance to find out.

The real tragedy here, though, would be Comedy Central not finding a way to adequately fill their nightly block of political humor. I mean, after losing Oliver, I can't really pick one from the pick that would be able to step into Stephen's shoes- maybe Jason Jones, if I had a gun to my head? It's just such a solid part of my life that it'd be so jarring to only tune into the Daily Show for a half-hour and then turn in. :saddowns:

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Echo Chamber posted:

So I take it the yogurt thing was maybe some state legislatures finding a minimal consequence issue to demonstrate to kids on a field trip how a bill becomes a law and how the legislative process works, but it inadvertently escalated into a real debate about loving nothing at the taxpayer's expense.
Personally, my first instinct is to say that it was (mostly) staged- to show the kids how bills are actually treated. Basically treating it as a proxy for some serious topic where the minutiae would matter, but without the baggage of actually hashing through a complex topic.
But that's mostly just because I don't want to imagine paid politicians bitching about yogurt for god knows how long. :negative:

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I don't really get the sense that targeting McCain is anything personal on the Daily Show's part... but just a matter of pure saturation. After the election in 2008, McCain receded a bit. He was still around, but seemed to get the message that people wanted him to gently caress off. Even during the 2012 election, I don't recall him being that visible a part of the push behind Romney. But this last year or so? Holy loving poo poo has he suddenly been making the rounds across the media to twist the knife in Obama's side about everything. It seems like I can't even turn on CNN without seeing him as a guest on one of their political panels. He's making a specific effort to be highly visible and vocal lately, so it seems natural that the Daily Show would farm him for material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Even if we're just talking current correspondents, I'd still put Klepper waaaaaaaay above Samantha Bee. I don't think I've laughed at a single one of her bits in like two years.

• Locked thread