Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The dudes who are all about cutting unemployment benefit deserve to die. Like if a person is saying "if you cannot get a job, you should struggle and starve and be homeless" - they should die. I honestly don't understand how people can be such sociopaths. I really don't.

By the way, how does welfare/unemployment/social security (I don't really know the differences?) work in the states? I think you guys have a short term unemployment benefit, but what happens after that?

On a lighter note, "LITERALLY russian roulette" cracked me up pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Man, the Daily Show segments on that AWFUL guy (how can people be such ignorant sociopaths?) and the terribleness of the Republicans and that one psychopath were great. All very depressing though.

The guy who "trained" Colbert seemed pretty cool. I wanted to see more of him. And I couldn't tell if the dude on Colbert's "team" genuinely hated him or not. It seemed like it.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The Daily Show had some great segments this week, but I forgot to mention how annoying the stupid Vine thing was. "Let's play every clip twice for no real reason. That won't be annoying as hell or borderline insulting time-filler."

raditts posted:

You mean Joe Gibbs?
Nah, I meant Steve Clarkson. The guy who talked about owning the room and had the "Did I budge?" moment.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm honestly at a loss about what can be done in Russia. If we believe in democracy...Then all the gays should get out of that country maybe? I don't even know. Why can't you just be cool, Russians?! Every other cold country west of you can be cool!

I wish Jason had pressed Sergei a little more on his definition of "normal". The lady at the end was very sweet and the reference to Angel out of nowhere was great.

In other news, Bill O'Reilly is starting to look more like a parody of Colbert these days, I swear to god.

And gently caress that awful filmmaker and gently caress everyone in the audience who clapped for a slow fade on a photo of a gorilla. You just had twenty seconds of your life wasted, don't clap. Jesus Christ. The word pretentious gets thrown around a lot, but JESUS CHRIST. I almost wonder if that was an extension of Stephen Colbert's newfound Frenchness.
(That said, Phillip Glass does good music. But you know what, it was better in some schlocky Zac Snyder movie than this guy's poo poo.)

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

ThatPazuzu posted:

Was that movie feature length? Basically, after he explained the premise I thought "oh, that's kinda neat... If it's maybe 10 minutes long."
Wikipedia says eighty seven minutes.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Did they miss an episode or am I confused about what days the show is on?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is House of Cards worth a go? I've gotten mixed impressions.

Wind God Sety posted:

Yes, Bill, "other countries" view women as a subspecies. Definitely not anyone in America, or say, anyone in that conversation.
That clip was SO weird. Like of all the crazy bullshit on Fox News (the entire TDS foodstamps segment, oh my god) It looked so awkward with the guests on there and everything. This caveman dude being like "BUT MAN JOB AND SHE WOMAN! BAD!"

Relentlessboredomm posted:

We shouldn't still be there because we have no idea what we're doing
Well, you invaded a country and overthrew a government for protecting your enemies (not totally unreasonable, debatable), then because you'd left a big loving void where the government used to be, you tried to make a new one and couldn't really leave it alone because the old government guys would sweep back in and take over and the whole thing would've been pointless. So it was probably best to stay and try and prop up the new government and keep fighting the incredibly lovely old government. (Seriously: gently caress the Taliban) The occupation has always seemed far more reasonable than the invasion to me.

But all of these things are complicated and difficult and take ages and have no real conclusion in sight because everything in this world is lovely, especially in a country as rough, ill-educated and backwards as Afghanistan. (I mean jesus, for all the good it did for women's education and the like, getting rid of Taliban rule meant dog fights were legal again and now they're common in Kabul because People Are Just That Awful.)

I think that about sums it up? Also change "you" to "we" because British and other NATO forces are in this just as much, not that anyone on American TV seems to notice.

And on that note- is calling them Afghanis an American thing? The demonym we use is Afghans. Or is it just Jon "An Historic" Stewart being bad at words again?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Wait, is this for real? :smith:

That really sucks. I don't have much interest in another show that's just a dude talking to actors about their latest movies, even if it's a dude as funny as Stephen. He's not even doing it in character?

Man, I would rather they took Jon Stewart. He's more of a "traditional" host and he's better at talking to celebrities. Plus, we know his show works without him.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm in the UK and my library ordered in "I am America and so can you" and the Earth book by TDS for me, for a charge of about 50p ($0.84) each. Is that not standard practice in other countries?

Also, man, I need to go to my library more. They're talking about shutting it down, because of government cuts. :smith:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
For the record, the old Modify Headers trick (I use Firefox, I dunno if you can do it in Chrome) still seems to work for getting around the region block. The old thread had the details in the OP...You can find it with a quick google of the show titles and "modify headers" anyway.

Also, all they would have to do is have adverts for an international audience like near the entirety of the internet does. Never mind the fact there's plenty of adverts on there that aren't exclusively American products already.

Using their streaming means more gauge-able popularity for their product and it's better you give them the hits and ad revenue than torrenting it. Basically: the region block is stupid and Tiny Brontosaurus is just being creepily angry and nuts.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
That was a weird week of shows. Random musical guests (that pretty much not a single person seemed to think was worth posting about) and two of the most boringest interviews. Was that the first time That Lady From The Americans has ever been interviewed? And That Guy Off The Big Bang Theory Who Stole Danny Pudi's Emmys is about as uninteresting and humourless as I expect a person from The Big Bang Theory to be.

I did enjoy Jason Jones going to India, at least. Although it is a little bothersome that every single comment he makes relates and compares to how things are in the states. It really sticks out after John Oliver's show can just talk about foreign things without having to make it all about America.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think Bill Maher is funny and makes a lot of good points despite disagreeing massively with him on a few issues...But I listen to Real Time in podcast format from HBO's site and I had genuinely forgotten how punchably smug his face was.

I'm not really liking either of the new guys on The Daily Show, but I totally agree that Jessica Jones has become the big new hit on the show. (And she started off a little rough too, as I recall.)

Colbert having a bit of a mancrush on Paul Rudd was quite funny. It's so weird to think back on how much I hated him as The Boring Guy In Friends.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
You seem a little defensive about this, Majorian.

CSM posted:

Wait, did Jason Jones divorce Samantha Bee and marry Jessica Williams?
Whoops. Alliteration is a curse.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I like Jason Jones but I thought he was really awkward and bad at hosting the show and it made me sad at the end when he said he really enjoyed it. :smith: (Mind you, John Oliver did the same awkward forced smile between serious lines when he started hosting. It's like they're both trying to replicate Jon when they should be doing their own thing.)

Totally would've rather seen Jessica do it, but it's kind of understandable that that would have been a slap in the face for Jones and Bee.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

CHUMPVILLE posted:

Does anyone know WHY Bill O'Reilly goes on the Daily Show? It's a no-win situation for him
Publicity. You're all talking about him right now.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think shows tend to have a non-broadcast rehearsal where they use the crew or maybe just invite people in off the street. Like Bill Maher does the Real Time 2 Minutes With Maher podcast thing of him in poorer sound quality trying out jokes (the podcast showing off the ones that didn't make the cut) on a different crowd that does not sound warmed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Dalael posted:

I am strongly considering re-watching all Colbert report and am wondering if it would be just as good as it was the first time, even if the events he talks about are no longer current. I have missed so many episodes over the years, and I would kinda like to catch up.

I have looked online to see if it can be bought on dvd/blueray or any other medium but I have not found anything other than The best of Colbert. I would really prefer not to resort to illegal downloading or illegal streaming if it can be avoided.
The official website clips contain literally all of the show over the years. (You can trick it into thinking you are from the US pretty easily)

I watched all of them up to his Iraq trip (because that was when I started watching the show) a few years back. It's a serious time investment and the website can be problematic whenever they change anything. But yeah, still very funny.

• Locked thread