Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

ChaosSamusX posted:

Is it just me or was Stewart particularly radical recently? I would never have expected him to hammer the Israeli lobby and lobbying reform as hard as he did.

Well, those are consistent positions for the Daily Show. In particular with Zionism, the Daily Show has done a lot of material on how bizarre it is that mainstream US foreign policy is completely beholden to Israeli hawks. An extreme Zionist ultradonor is just a perfect storm of these two issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

raditts posted:

Female contraception. Vasectomies are a-ok by the Hobby Lobby.

Also, birth control pills.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Bashez posted:

Hobby Lobby doesn't have a problem with birth control pills.

Weird that you'd have that misconception despite clearly having internet access. I wonder if sources of information you normally trust were obfuscating the truth for political purposes.

Says the guy wrongly implying Hobby Lobby prohibits birth control pills.

I'm 100% pro-choice, just so we can put aside you're dumb loving tribalism, but misrepresenting their position with things like "but they don't ban vasectomies!" is idiotic. It betrays a complete misunderstanding of their position and makes it easy for conservatives to (correctly) accuse Democrats and leftist activists as scare-mongering. I mean, they don't ban getting your tubes tied either, what the gently caress does that bit about vasectomies even mean?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
A slightly redeeming part about Gamergate is watching them stray out of their weird circle jerk universes and have to face the reality that everyone either hates them or doesn't give a poo poo about their absurd fig leaf of a cause.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 31, 2014

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

IRQ posted:

These assholes have been around for awhile, I remember some videos making the rounds of some guy following them around with a camera harassing them.

They're a part of the Free State Project where ~20,000 libertarians are supposed to commit to moving to New Hampshire and essentially take it over politically.

It's kind of baffling that their tyrannical target is parking enforcement, which is a hugely uncontroversial policing function that supports local businesses. How sad is it that these pricks' "activism" consists of protesting parking tickets through a well-coordinated campaign of harassment. It kind of makes me want to strangle these retards that their pet issues are things like parking tickets or the "right" to carry around a military-quality rifle in the open to a McDonald's. What a bunch of spoiled children.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Strange Quark posted:

It wasn't super obvious until the Austin shows, but I love that Jordan Klepper found his niche as show butt monkey in a way I don't remember any other correspondent ever fully committed to.

Steve Carrell? I guess that would depend on the formal definition of a butt monkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Soylentbits posted:

He's like an off brand diet lukewarm Jason Jones to me. He's not bad per se but it really feels more like he's mimicking other correspondents then actually performing.

I like him more than Sam Bee and 3/4 of modern day Lewis Black.

I feel like there's basically two ways to do a correspondent piece: pretend to be a crazy monster and make your character half the joke (Jones and Sam Bee, most of the old correspondents) or be a likable, witty audience surrogate that just says the stuff we wish we could say (Williams, Aasif Mandvi). I feel like Klepper hasn't really landed on a specific voice: he occasionally plays stupid, but he doesn't stay in character as hard as guys like Colbert or Jones would. In the atheist/diner piece, he tried an audience surrogate approach. I think he just lacks a consistent angle, or character.

• Locked thread