Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Jorghnassen posted:

For a second I thought you meant Beth Littleford...

I always wished she and Brian Unger would come back. They seemed like they'd be good fits in this new era without Kilborn. I always feel bad whenever I see them on commercials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

A libertarian friend said that Arizona businesses refusing to serve gays is just as valid as a print shop refusing to serve a guy who wanted them to print 100 "God hates fags" signs.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'm just fascinated by that BillO thing, where he's just desperately trying to get two women to validate his blatant sexism. Did any of them ask him what the downside to male presidents is?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

#2 wins, hands down. Although #1 is a great choice and I'd forgotten that song existed.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Jon Stewart Cussed Me Out

O'Reilly attacks Colbert

Perhaps subjects addressed on tonight's shows.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Huge Jon Oliver article in Hollywood Reporter.

I like the insight into the show.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Are they going to regularly post the episodes online like that? That would be great.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I loved America The Book, because it was a perfectly constructed satire of American educational texts as well as everything else. That said, I never even finished Earth: The Book.

I only got Colbert's first book because, as has been said, without his delivery, it didn't really work as well. Perhaps the audiobooks are indeed the way to go there.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Strange Quark posted:

"Violins Never Solves Anything"? :geno:

"Violins" sounds a lot like "Violence." Hence the tense and the joke.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

VagueRant posted:

I did enjoy Jason Jones going to India, at least. Although it is a little bothersome that every single comment he makes relates and compares to how things are in the states. It really sticks out after John Oliver's show can just talk about foreign things without having to make it all about America.

I feel like that's kind of the point of what Jason Jones is doing over there - STUFF IS HAPPENING THERE, but he's doing this for an American audience, so he has to disabuse that audience of the notion that this stuff has to be filtered through States-O-Vision by showing him how stupid it looks when you do that.

Also, judging by that clip, Jim Parsons is apparently never acting, he is just saying lines out loud in that same irritating way he does everything.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Scientology also does a lot of separating kids from parents (and putting them in the Sea Org which is a legal form of slavery) and separating couples from each other. Divide and conquer, lest families get together and commiserate on how much Scientology sucks and agree to leave together. If one of them leaves, they're labeled "suppressive" and they can no longer have any contact with their own family.

Scientology is bugfuck nuts and actively evil.

vvv As I understand it, they are only tamer because people are leaving in droves, they have money issues and immense legal problems, and their leader, David Miscavige, is a paranoid nutjob.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 7, 2014

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Pride of service is often less about "I love what we did" and more about "I love who I did it with." Even World War II guys say they were fighting more for their brothers in arms than their ideals.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Drifter posted:

I know there was a huge democratic push to vote against Cantor in the election to put him out of office so the Democrats' guy would have an easier time to win during the real election. Are there numbers about how many registered democrats voted against cantor?

It would be interesting to see if the real reason he lost wasn't because repubs hated him, but because the democrats stepped on the scale against him, too.

Actually, my day was made when I saw Ben Jones, ex-congressman and "Cooter" from The Dukes of Hazzard was on CNN the day after Cantor's loss taking credit for it because he encouraged Democrats to vote in that primary.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Jon Stewart was at the WWE Money In The Bank event tonight with his son Nate. I wonder if the WWE gave him tickets as thanks for talking them up recently.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Also, note that Original White Guy Nick Fury is about to be killed off, and Nick Fury Jr., his accidental black son, will likely take his place, meaning Black Nick Fury is officially replacing White Nick Fury probably for good, thanks to movies. So there is a bit of precedent for making these changes stick around longer than you might think initially.

As for Thor, the guy writing the comic tends to drag out stories forever, too, so that might last a while. If it's popular enough, it could last indefinitely. They just had Dr. Octopus Freaky Friday his way into Spider-Man's mind for a whole year.

Also, I like the idea of Captain America with giant bird wings.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

PassTheRemote posted:

A Nice little playlist of Robin's appearances on the Daily Show: http://thedailyshow.cc.com/video-playlists/99z8qi/remembering-robin-williams

Robin was obviously a genuine fan with genuine political interests. Also, it's kind of funny to see Lance Armstrong come up in a later interview where Jon forgot they discussed it in the first interview.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I think The Blacklist helped too.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Despite his occasional glimpses of sanity, Shep still is mostly a mouthpiece, isn't he? It's just when we see the humanity, we make a big deal out of it because it's nonexistent there. But for the most part, doesn't he tend to toe the party line?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Sardonik posted:

That formidable opponent was one of the best segments he ever did. "The Idea of America" vs "the reality of America" was amazingly stated. That was one for the history books.

Yeah. It's like the thesis statement for the entire concept of the show. It's all going to boil back down to truthiness.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

raditts posted:

Between this and both the CBS late shows ending this week, it feels like Late Night Apocalypse. I hope Colbert does well on CBS.

Letterman isn't ending until May 20. It's just Craig leaving now, and it's amazing the difference between the sentimentality we're seeing from Colbert and the zero fucks given by Craig.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Typical Pubbie posted:

My interpretation of the bit is that the truthiness Colbert just got debated out of existence by the real Colbert. He destroyed his right-wing caricature.

That might be an interesting way to end the show - a weeklong revelation that "feeling the news at you" is awful and the ability to actually change one's mind as opposed to denying facts with obfuscation to maintain the illusion of your own comfortable opinion is the way to go.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

For some reason, the whole celebrity montage, I kept thinking EMILY BAZELON BETTER BE THERE. And she was.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Wow, I never knew that. I thought it was just the power of the punny name.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

It's weird with Sam Bee and Jason Jones lately. I like them and appreciate what they do and the craft of their jokes, and I can see where the stuff they create SHOULD be funny, but for some reason I don't really laugh. Then again, I've always been uncomfortable with the 'gently caress with perfectly nice people and try to get them to say crappy things' style of awkwardness. Jessica Williams, I like a lot. Klepper's got kind of the same thing as Bee and Jones right now. Mandvi is great. Black doesn't quite seem to have it anymore.

I think Wilmore has an easy charm, though, and I think that could work really well, and I think The Nightly Show will be fine. And I like Hodgman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

IRQ posted:

Did Conan even get his own thread? I don't know, I love Colbert but the late night talk show formula is loving cancer.

Cancer? Really?

Calm down, people. It's a cheap, fun little combination of stand-up comedy, sketch comedy, and conversations with potentially interesting people. That's a nice format in a massive television landscape that has plenty of room for it. That is not a fatal disease. Maybe it's not completely hilarious and fascinating five nights a week every week of the year, but at worst it's harmless TV you turn off and then go to sleep. It's not the goddamned consumption. Enough with the "my taste is the right taste" hyperbole.

• Locked thread