Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I'm rewatching old Daily Shows from 2008, starting with them coming back from the WGA Strike so it's "A Daily Show." Anyway, I miss Jon's Bush voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Cabbit posted:

I'm gonna find a lot of use for this:

I wish we could empty quote in TV IV, but I hope this is enough content because yes, that .gif is amazing and should possibly be put into the OP

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Didn't realize that Oliver doing that bit with Mick Foley this summer was a throwback:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-november-19-2009/things-not-to-be-thankful-for---silverdome--goldman-sachs---congressional-recess

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

spronk posted:

I feel I am pretty middle of the road politically (more apathetic than anything), but holy poo poo is Nancy Pelosi completely clueless? I never understood any of the right winger hate towards her, but after that interview I could totally understand how anyone would feel she is completely out of sync with reality. Why on Earth are any of her staffers letting her go out on talk shows so unprepared to talk about... anything.

She told the Democratic members of the House to not be on The Colbert Report. Yes. Stop all name recognition and exposure to young voters, because it might make them look silly.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-march-29-2010/health-care-slime-machine

Going through these archives is crazy when you know what happens.

1. The vandalism Giffords' office months before the shooting
2. The jokes about Weiner being a slimeball.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

You know that Jason Jones story helps put this in perspective:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-14-2010/alvin-greene-wins-south-carolina-primary

I wonder if people ever looked into PAC contributions to him.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Boon posted:

Uh... maybe not for countries which we're generally tight with, but ambassadors to countries we aren't are pretty loving important.

What like Argentina and Norway? I'm sorry but no ambassador appointment will ever be as lovely as John Bolton. Until someone is appointed that's a bigger piece of poo poo than John Bolton, I don't really care. Hell, wasn't Joe Kennedy appointed to Britain solely out of his being rich? It's such a non-thing and it distracts from the real money issues that plague both sides.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

JT Jag posted:

The sad part is that we really need to hope McConnell wins his primary, beyond the fact that he's a good source of humor like this. He's one of the few Senate Republicans willing to craft a compromise every now and then.

You mean the same guy that said this:

quote:

McConnell: The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.

I would argue that it's more that he's not totally loving insane.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

THe guy's name seriously is Mookie?

Wasn't that the self appointed nickname to a bad webcomic artist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muc7xqdHudI

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Keep in mind when Stephen goes to late night that we can get Godot as someone part of his skits. Sedaris too! Stephen is effective but when he's allowed to team up with people, it's even better. The Winter Olympics coverage was amazing.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Amy or Jason?

Oh god imagine if Late Night with Colbert had Buddy Cole as a regular?

That's something I really look forward too, seeing what comedy bits they come up with. Cheating Death is one of the best bits I've seen since the old Conan Actual items, What in the world or children's drawings.

Exactly. I mean there's a lot of Colbert's talent that we haven't seen for awhile. Strangers w/ Candy is absolutely one of my favorite comedies of all time.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I hope Jessica and the new correspondent, Michael Che, have a debate on who's "Senior Black Correspondent" when Wilmore leaves. Her argument being that she's been on The Daily Show longer, his argument being that he's been black longer (25 vs 30). I think they could make it a good bit.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

raditts posted:

Is Michael Che really going to be a new correspondent? The last thing I saw him on was Best Week Ever and he was loving terrible on that. And considering what a shitshow Best Week Ever is/was, it really takes some effort to be a standout.

Based off his response to my question to Jessica Williams:

https://twitter.com/CheThinks/status/465330638791643136

I'm excited to see what he does.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

amaranthine posted:

His ARE TROOPS lectures got boring about two years ago, at least for me. I tuned out as soon as I saw what the topic was.

I think what gets me is that for as much as he's brought it up on the show, he hasn't pushed very publicly otherwise. Why not have another rally? And promote it not as a Left/Right kind of thing, but a support our vets and show up for them event.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

Forgive me if I misread a goon one time, but I thought I read that a lot of the bureaucratic problems with the VA healthcare system spring from a law that requires veterans themselves to be the ones staffing the system.

I tried to google some law about that but I wasn't able to easily find it. Was I mistaken?

It just sucks because some of these issues are incredibly long-term and deep-seated from just man-power. There needs to be more oversight, more manpower, more technology and it's tough to get that stuff going considering the current state of affairs politically.

Drifter posted:

Hey, man. He's just a comedy show, okay?

I really do dislike that excuse from Jon. It just comes off as such a dodge from his role as a popular political figure, whether he likes it or not.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 20, 2014

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

Who's Pat?

I figured it was Daily Show staff who had left, as that's usually when those kind of messages come up.

Checked IMBD and yep.

quote:

Description: In 1996, a future producer of The Daily Show risks losing his role in a high school play because of his smoking habit.

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi758164505/

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I never get tired of Stephen knocking a boardgame over in anger

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

Jon is in Toronto with his movie and I guess they didn't want a guest host.

You know what, gently caress that poo poo. Jon does a great job but I don't think TDS should be some loving showcase for him. I remember the old "variety" type skits. Produce Pete, anyone? I'm glad they have some kind of rhythm etc, but there should be some kind of way to highlight the talents of the correspondents. Sam Bee and Jason Jones may be dead inside but what about J Willy? Klepper? Etc etc. They get short shriff.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I'm gonna miss Better Know a District.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Bill was patronizing as gently caress and I've never wanted to punch my TV more than those 5 minutes. He literally argued "Just World." Work hard and it will be OK. poo poo I can only imagine the number of unpaid interns at Fox that are rocking a BA. Ugh.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Have you only been exposed to Wilmore via The Daily Show? The guy has a huge history and knows how to write. Frankly, a look at the days news from the perspective of a minority and how it fits into the larger spectrum is something with a lot of potential. I have faith and look forward to it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://www.maviscalling.com

drat, I'm gonna miss the Report

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

swickles posted:

The Daily/Nightly Show 2015: We'll meet again, Don't know where, Don't know when :smith:

I think for at least the first few months the most appropriate one would be "....Jon?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

It really is. We're so exposed to celebrities now that it doesn't really matter. We see them in candid situations on gossip mags, websites, Twitter and all other social media. I get an ad everywhere I go for the next big blockbuster. Frankly, very few stars have real charisma either. But what can you do? It's relatively stable for the Big 3, but none of these shows will ever have an impact like the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and the field is incredibly diluted on top of that legacy.

• Locked thread