Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Gonna add my voice to the group, and say little more then this was an amazing LP from start to finish. It made my Mondays all the more enjoyable, and honestly, I got chills during your ranting during the last video, if only from hearing your voice grow from calm and collected to clearly upset.

As for the future, unless you've found Brütaler Legend, I'd love to see your take on New Vegas, though I half suspect Thi4f, if only from the amount of praise you gave the earlier games during our Brutal Legend work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtual256
May 6, 2007

Once again, incredible work! I look forward to whatever your next project is.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thanks for an amazing LP! I'd played this game but had no idea it had just SO MANY things hidden in nooks and crannies, and the corners were very interesting.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This was an amazing LP to have put together and was the one thing I actually would be sure not to miss on Mondays. The gameplay was great and the corners even more entertaining. Though I was a bit surprised that with all of the corners, The Ghost in the Machine/Shell didn't get a dedicated one. I can hardly fault you for that, though, considering just how extensively the rest of the topics were covered.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've been told I'm a bit too focused on negative criticism in the past, and going through my posts in the thread... yeah, they don't really show my appreciation of how great this LP was.

It was pretty great.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

This LP was an interesting learning experience for me. I take it you're not going to make any bonus videos covering other topics?

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
This is one of those games where I thought a comprehensive AND interesting LP would be impossible. There's so much trivia and things to say about the game, so it would require tons of research. And how do you cover a game that toys with the concept of a critical path? I had so little faith there ever would be a good LP, but 3 parts in I knew you would do justice to the game. But you hit it out of the park. Yes, I'm fawning over an LP. Thank you.

Now, how do I just link up just the corners? I know people who are interested in this stuff, and that it would pique their curiosity of the game would be a bonus. :)

BernieLomax fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 6, 2014

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

While I haven't watched the last video yet, I saw an article today that the Netherlands is currently installing the first solar bike path. (the article I read is this one (in German))
Since you mentioned the roadways in one of the corners I thought it would be relevant to the thread. An interesting thing about this project is the cost: 100m cost ~3 million €, compared to 20.000 € for conventional methods, so it certainly won't be catching on any time soon.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Found a cool glitch walkthrough of the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BKmHk1zCy8&list=PL7C71E6B445FEBE37&index=2

I also noticed that Project HDTP has a beta release. Anybody tried it out?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 7, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Until now I hadn't really stopped to consider just how well Deus Ex was put together. Not only in terms of variant level paths needing different skillsets, but in terms of the plot threads you could follow, and latch onto, or not, the entire way through. The choice feels like more than selecting a different picture to paste on the future of humanity, or which color light you want to see, because you've been engaging with the people with the perspective to comment on it throughout the game, and you can lend them support or not the entire way through.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

sheep-dodger posted:

While I haven't watched the last video yet, I saw an article today that the Netherlands is currently installing the first solar bike path. (the article I read is this one (in German))
Since you mentioned the roadways in one of the corners I thought it would be relevant to the thread. An interesting thing about this project is the cost: 100m cost ~3 million €, compared to 20.000 € for conventional methods, so it certainly won't be catching on any time soon.

3.74 million dollars to make a path that by 2016 should be able to light up 3 homes. Why isn't every road in the US being replaced by this not at all ridiculously inefficient way of generating energy.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Glazius posted:

Until now I hadn't really stopped to consider just how well Deus Ex was put together. Not only in terms of variant level paths needing different skillsets, but in terms of the plot threads you could follow, and latch onto, or not, the entire way through. The choice feels like more than selecting a different picture to paste on the future of humanity, or which color light you want to see, because you've been engaging with the people with the perspective to comment on it throughout the game, and you can lend them support or not the entire way through.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. It's mandatory to help out pretty much every person who has comments on the endings: Paul, Tong, Everett, Helios, Savage. Plotwise the game is pretty linear.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Dragonwagon posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. It's mandatory to help out pretty much every person who has comments on the endings: Paul, Tong, Everett, Helios, Savage. Plotwise the game is pretty linear.
That actually works in the game's favor though. The game helps you get to know these people and become acquainted with their philosophies and perspectives, so the final choice is informed by how you, the player, relate to the story that has come before it and the characters that you interacted with. Two different people can engage with the same linear series of events and come away with completely different reactions.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You don't have to help out Paul :smith:

The reason the game is so memorable to me is, I played through it once, doing exactly what I thought the game wanted me to do, I killed that dude on the plane, I left Paul to die, etc. Later, I played through again and just tried to break the plot. I murdered Anna instead, defended Paul, did everything different in Hong Kong, got into the MJ12 sewer place my first time in New York, etc. While most games would just give you a game over or make it impossible to progress until you reloaded an old save, Deus Ex surprised me over and over again by rolling with it.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Yeah most people's first playthrough Paul won't survive. He dies if you go out the window rather than the front of the hotel when the MIB's attack him, which is the most obvious exit (and the one Paul TELLS you to take)

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Is there actually much point to saving him though? It certainly didn't seem to have any function in this presentation.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
Thanks for doing this, Bobbin. Deus Ex was one of the first games I played, and it was certainly the best. It was a real joy to experience the game again, from a different perspective.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Strange Matter posted:

That actually works in the game's favor though. The game helps you get to know these people and become acquainted with their philosophies and perspectives, so the final choice is informed by how you, the player, relate to the story that has come before it and the characters that you interacted with. Two different people can engage with the same linear series of events and come away with completely different reactions.

Which is due to the players being different people with differing opinions, not because the game offers many different choices to the player. Most of the time you can't even pick how JC reacts to these people, he just carries on with his deadpan voice and rolls with whatever they ask him to do, regardless of how the player might feel about them. Which is what left me confused about Glazius' post about "plot threads you could follow, and latch onto, or not, the entire way through" and "you can lend them support or not the entire way through".

counterfeitsaint posted:

You don't have to help out Paul :smith:

The reason the game is so memorable to me is, I played through it once, doing exactly what I thought the game wanted me to do, I killed that dude on the plane, I left Paul to die, etc. Later, I played through again and just tried to break the plot. I murdered Anna instead, defended Paul, did everything different in Hong Kong, got into the MJ12 sewer place my first time in New York, etc. While most games would just give you a game over or make it impossible to progress until you reloaded an old save, Deus Ex surprised me over and over again by rolling with it.

You have to send his message though. It's a shame, that once you leave for Hong Kong, the game gets a lot more railroaded. And as you go on the stuff you actually had influence over back in New York starts to matter less and less and by the end the only difference is who gives you a single transmission.

Dragonwagon fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 7, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

A jargogle posted:

Is there actually much point to saving him though? It certainly didn't seem to have any function in this presentation.
There is no actual purpose for saving Paul. All that changes is that he reappears at certain other points in the game if he is alive, it just depends on if you the player actually tried to defend him against the horde, or ran out the back way to let him die to his fate.

...I'm really glad I didn't run. :unsmith:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's important for Paul to live so that his child/younger sibling can kill him in the sequel.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

As weird as it is to say this about an LP, that was really great and pretty thought provoking. For my part, I'm wondering about the techniques you use, for making educational videos.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

If you want to know what I'm up to next, I've got one word for you: "Taff."

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Welp. This is going to be interesting. Or horrible. Or both. Horristing.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Heeeeeeeell yeah NOW I have a good reason to rewatch your LPs.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I've been thinking about it for a bit, and I think I can say without hyperbole that this is one of the best LPs ever. How appropriate for one of the best video games ever.

Great work, Bobbin. It's been enlightening.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

double nine posted:

Welp. This is going to be interesting. Or horrible. Or both. Horristing.

It's gonna be MAGICAL :magical:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

And hear I was hoping for LOOM 2 :(

But yes, I gotta marathon the Thief 1-3 LPs now

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I still have to finish the LP of Thief 3. I only ever got like two videos in.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

kalonZombie posted:

I still have to finish the LP of Thief 3. I only ever got like two videos in.

I've been meaning to replay it myself. Started a run a while ago but didn't get too far into it.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Don't have much to add to the conversation by this point but I'd like to express my appreciation for your hard work.

Deus Ex is one of those games that gets covered a lot in LPs, and I have to say your methodical approach to exploring maps and your in-depth knowledge of the game really served it well. Even after all these years, you managed to surprise me with events I didn't even know existed in the game.

The real treats, however, were the history segments. These were the kinds of things I tried to ape in one of my LPs, so I can say firsthand that I appreciate the amount of work that went into them. You're a hell of a smart guy, and you've got a great even-handed sense of morality in your personal thoughts. It's not often that I find myself uplifted, but your meditations on narrative gave me the itch to write again.

I feel like I'm overselling it a bit, but this has been an excellent series and I wanted to thank you for sharing it.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Oh, thank you Jesus. Please let that game have it for all you're worth.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
I just wanted to post and say that this LP was well done. Phenomenal, even.

Thank you for the lessons, Bobbin. I appreciate, without finding the words to fully express how much, the efforts you've gone to.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Many thanks for the LP. Would like to reiterate that you put in so much work to this and to me it definitely paid off, because this is absolutely incredible. Best of luck for Thi4f and everything else you do in the future.

The Milkman Cometh
Sep 13, 2007
Just finished this. I can only echo the posters above me. Incredible job!

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Just marathoned this thread after not catching a single update since the Cathedral. Great work, Bobbin, and thanks for all the corners. Very enlightening in all sorts of ways. Definitely looking forward to your next LP. :)

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'm pretty sure I've already voiced my love for this LP, and I'm looking forward to starting in on the next one, the only thing I'd like to see is a Lecture-only playlist, one with just the lecture bits and no gameplay.

However, since this can easily be accomplished with a click or two each video, don't do it unless it's something that's about the same amount of effort for you to set up. I mean it.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

SpookyLizard posted:

I'm pretty sure I've already voiced my love for this LP, and I'm looking forward to starting in on the next one, the only thing I'd like to see is a Lecture-only playlist, one with just the lecture bits and no gameplay.

:ssh:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680396

agent blue
Nov 14, 2012
I'm just adding my voice to the chorus, but agreed all around. This was probably the best LP I've ever watched.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

This thread really should be added to the archive, at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

RZApublican posted:

This thread really should be added to the archive, at this point.

Baldurk's still catching up. I've seen the rough draft, though, so at this point it's just a matter of time.

• Locked thread