Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Another Bobbin LP? You're a machine, sir. A regular Baugmented Threadbare :golfclap: While I'll probably never play this again, I really enjoy watching LPs of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I don't want to sound like a gushing fangirl here but an erudite playthrough of this fantastic piece of cyberpunk by Mr. Threadbare is kind of a dream. Will be following this with great interest, even if I have little of value to add to the conversation, sir.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
This LP rocks, and that history section at the end rocks. And I've been going on a cyberpunk spree so the timing is perfect.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
The concept behind this Let's Play is an excellent one. I've played through about half of the game myself, that figure being due to my consistent self-loathing stemming from a lack of anything even vaguely resembling stealth, but a great deal of the time I was struggling to understand what was going on, especially once I got to France.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Like it so far. You missed out on the whole creation of UNATCO and the liberty island backstory in your "world to date" recap, but I guess the next chapter has more than enough opportunity to cover those.

Magnus The Red
Oct 25, 2010

Russ is kind of a dick.
This came for free with my video card way back when and I didn't even knew it existed till I played it out of curiosity and I was blow away by it. All the layers to the game is great, I didn't even realize you could save Paul at the apartments until the 3rd or so play through.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I like Deus Ex. I didn't like loading screens and some level bloat. Me and my cattle prod speed runs. :allears:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Wasn't there a bit of flavor dialogue you could get from Page in the tutorial if you managed to climb up to one of the later windows overlooking the training areas? I'm guessing it's probably the last room with the hostile robot but I don't remember for sure. I recall coming across it once when screwing around with cheats in the training levels.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Fabulousity posted:

Wasn't there a bit of flavor dialogue you could get from Page in the tutorial if you managed to climb up to one of the later windows overlooking the training areas? I'm guessing it's probably the last room with the hostile robot but I don't remember for sure. I recall coming across it once when screwing around with cheats in the training levels.

Information partially confirmed. You need two cardboard boxes and either two TNT boxes or one with an item crate (and a steady hand since TNT loves blowing up), but if you climb up to the observation window where Bob Page and Jamie Reyes are watching you deal with the robot, Jamie will give you the same speech he says when you find the hidden holo-projector. Bob Page himself has nothing additional to say.

Also, after standing out in the open trying and failing to destroy a barrel close enough to kill the robot, I have confirmed that Denton is technically invincible during Training.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 7, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
To this day I remember my first time through training I killed the robot by hurling the TNT crate at it, which of course took out both my legs.

I then painstakingly dragged Denton's dismembered body across the finish line.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I am going to thoroughly enjoy learning all of the backstory and exposition with Conspiracy Corner :eng101:

What I learned so far already helped explain so much of what I saw when I was watching the Deus Ex LP by unfair in the archives.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Isn't "Deus ex Machina" God from the Machine?

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Somehow I never got around to playing this game. I think my interest in cyberpunk things came about long after it was released and it slipped by me. Off the bat it seems to borrow a lot of stuff from Neuromancer and Ghost in the Shell, but that isn't really a bad thing for a video game to do at all. The classical Cyberpunk world of Balkanization, MegaCorps, human augmentation through technology and spiffy sunglasses is a good setting, a fun setting. Both Neuromancer and GitS, and most of the other good Cyberpunk I've digested tend to have the same sort of well-crafted universe with all sorts of other stuff going on just off-camera yet circling around the viewpoint and contributing to the cyclone that is the plot. I'm really pleased to see this LP show up and I'll definitely be following it.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

I'll be honest, I've been eager for a good LP of Deus Ex for a very long time. Given that I'm absolutely horrid at FPS's that don't hold your hand, be it sheer lack of skill, aiming difficulties due to being blind in my left eye, or the number of modern concessions I'm used to from 'newer' games, Deus Ex, as much as I absolutely love the genre and everything it stands for, always was a hurtle for me to get past the first few areas, mostly due to me forgetting to save, so I've gotten nowhere in my own luck with it.

That said, this is going to be an absolute treat, as was Brutal Legend, to see, and I can't wait to see where the thread goes from here.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Sindai posted:

To this day I remember my first time through training I killed the robot by hurling the TNT crate at it, which of course took out both my legs.

Exact same first playthrough. These day I don't know how I ever got through liberty without knowing where any of the secrets or hidden goodies are. And oh man was it great to juke Paul out and have him follow you long enough to get shot, whereupon he turns into a lunatic with a plasma rifle.

...drat, gettin' nostalgic for my old LP. I'd be laughed out of the treehouse for it these days, and rightly so. What a mess that was. :shobon:

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

kalonZombie posted:

"For your training, we will be blowing up actual robots that probably cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce."

It makes sense when you consider that the guy who's company produces these bots pulls the strings and the government has to pay. Even if the nation is in disarray, the American dream lives on. :911:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

GetWellGamers posted:

Exact same first playthrough. These day I don't know how I ever got through liberty without knowing where any of the secrets or hidden goodies are. And oh man was it great to juke Paul out and have him follow you long enough to get shot, whereupon he turns into a lunatic with a plasma rifle.

...drat, gettin' nostalgic for my old LP. I'd be laughed out of the treehouse for it these days, and rightly so. What a mess that was. :shobon:

Is that archived anywhere? There were some really great moments on it and I kinda like the chaotic feel. :shobon:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Out of interest, what is the PS2 port like? I've seen it in shops, but never picked it up, and I'm honestly curious to find out hat it's like. No idea how they could fit a game as complex as this on a PS2.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Out of interest, what is the PS2 port like? I've seen it in shops, but never picked it up, and I'm honestly curious to find out hat it's like. No idea how they could fit a game as complex as this on a PS2.

I have never played it, there is a gameplay video over on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IqFsw3iPf4

The intro cutscene actually seems to be better than the Deus Ex intro though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJegc9eEG8M

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

That is also correct, yes. Latin prepositions don't map perfectly to English ones.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

As mentioned earlier, they had to break some of the levels down into smaller parts, but for the most part they ported them over faithfully. There's a few exceptions: the sewers under Hell's Kitchen are pretty different, the firefight between UNATCO and the NSF outside the 'Ton pretty much doesn't exist, and probably some other big ones I'm forgetting. The inventory system is pretty much gone. Your only real limitation is that you can carry 4 guns at any given time (regardless of size). IIRC you can also install Augs without using med bots, though I might be misremembering on that one. Otherwise it's pretty much the same game with some fancy CGI into and ending cutscenes.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

double nine posted:

The intro cutscene actually seems to be better than the Deus Ex intro though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJegc9eEG8M
I don't know... some of Page's missing lines make him sound much colder in the original intro. The music also gave it a much better sense of urgency, like things were going down now and it wasn't just two dudes standing around watching the news.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

It's also missing that amazing pull-out shot of the giant stone hand with the globe that you see at the end.

The lectures at the end are super good. I'll be following along.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
I played the PS2 version before the PC one. Mostly it's got some redesigned areas to fit with the added loadingscreens, stuff like appropriate bridging-points. Some areas i actually prefer to the PC originals (others not so much). If i remember it right the healthsystem was simplified too so no more getting your legs blown off, and the inventory tetris was removed for a slot-based system that actually gave you more space in total if i remember it right. Some new character models too but mostly it's the same game. If you're a big DX fan i would recommend playing it just for comparison's sake.

A pretty good port all things considered. Much better than IW even though that doesn't say much.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 7, 2014

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
I've played the poo poo out of this game (and am on another play-through currently), so I'll probably just watch those lectures at the end. If they're anything like the first one, though, they'll be very worth listening to. Although I'll probably just watch the whole things for any observations you have, it'd be nifty to see how others do it after doing it myself so many times.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ahhh Deus Ex, this game kicks the crap out of me every time I try to play it. I reckon it might be time to try again!
My dream version of Deus Ex is one done using DE:HR's engine, but with better voice acting, and graphics brought up to Crysis level standards.
Still keep all of the plot and such, and the more detailed aug system.
I liked HR's hacking and combat a lot too, but I may be a silly person.
Hell, you could even still use Bob Page's VA!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Dreadwroth posted:

Hell, you could even still use Bob Page's VA!

Not Walton Simons though :(

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Hammer Floyd posted:

Is that archived anywhere? There were some really great moments on it and I kinda like the chaotic feel. :shobon:

Nope. Several posts got eaten wholesale when the archives upgraded, and most of the screenshots no longer exist.

But here's a link to the text at least. This is the third thread, with links to the first two. (Remember when threads had post limits? :haw: )

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2028285&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

Not Walton Simons though :(

Tom Hall's still alive and kicking, he managed to recover from his stroke.

Gunther Hermann's VA on the other hand... :(

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Arglebargle III posted:

It's both. It's kind of a translation thing. Greek has a special genitive case (also known as the possessive case, if that helps) which English mostly lacks, which means you just shove in whatever makes the most sense in context.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oh hell yes. I've been on a Deus Ex kick lately, replaying the original, IW, the Director's edition of DE:HR and now playing TNM. I was so desperate for a DE fix that I almost started watching an earlier, less accomplished LP - a fate worse than boredom.

(I always thought that a Deus Ex LP could really use two commentators, in the Cheep Cheezum / Ironicus style - one person who knows everything about the game, and another to ask for exposition and explanations)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

kalonZombie posted:

"For your training, we will be blowing up actual robots that probably cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce."

And in his actual intended MJ12 training JC is given the ability to kill a shitload of NSF dudes worth nothing. :master:

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
But to be fair that training program failed miserably, both times...

Someone should really look into that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Walton Simons and Page being right there in the training area was something I forgot entirely. (Opinions from the thread - the game would work better without the introduction conversation between Page and Simons. Yay or nay?)

You can also throw your weapon ahead of the confiscation window to retain it, though that's not particularly useful, as your ammo is gone. The lams are pretty handy for the stealth mission though :)

People who are surprised by DE3 featuring a civil war between those parts of Australia which have people in them and those parts that don't, should remember that it's all part of the (moronic) backstory for the original, right along Russo-Mexican drug cartel alliance invading America. That's just... brilliant.

I'd rather recommend Biomod - it elides Shifter's more obvious and offensive changes to the gameplay mechanics, and leaves behind a smoother and more interesting Deus Ex. Besides, the game should have some surprises in store for the LPer, no?

Sindai posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what absolutely everyone did the first time around :respek:

GetWellGamers posted:

I felt so clever when I figured that out.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ahahaha that's awesome, I do stupid stuff like use an EMP grenade on a friendly robot because I was getting really paranoid. Would you recommend the Biomod for a newb?
EDIT: On second thought after reading the description, it doesn't sound that awesome. I'll just stick with the texture mod.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 8, 2014

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tinkerttoy posted:

It's both. It's kind of a translation thing. Greek has a special genitive case (also known as the possessive case, if that helps) which English mostly lacks, which means you just shove in whatever makes the most sense in context.

In both Greek and Latin the preposition ex is only used to mean "of" if you are creating a partitive construction;

like "one (out) of many"

This is not the sense of Deus ex Machina.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xander77 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what absolutely everyone did the first time around :respek:

I discovered that I was immortal and just ignored the robot. That doesn't work in the actual game.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

In both Greek and Latin the preposition ex is only used to mean "of" if you are creating a partitive construction;

like "one (out) of many"

This is not the sense of Deus ex Machina.

On the other hand, "of" can be synonymous with "from," as in "Dave of Birmingham" or "made of steel." The use is a bit archaic at times, but I think it lends more poetic weight.

And in any case, of all the debates one could have over Deus Ex, arguing over transliterations of prepositions seems the most...semantic.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

And in any case, of all the debates one could have over Deus Ex, arguing over transliterations of prepositions seems the most...semantic.

Especially since one of the primary reasons they chose the title in the first place was because they though it was funny that idiots would mispronounce it as 'do sex'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Isn't it pronounced "dayus et"?

• Locked thread