Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Please tell me you're getting the GEP gun.

Will show off killing Navarre at the earliest opportunity?

Anyone here ever see what happens if you pile all your weapon mods onto a pistol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

paragon1 posted:

Anyone here ever see what happens if you pile all your weapon mods onto a pistol?

Pretty much any gun but the sawed-off and the crossbow becomes the most lethal weapon in the game if you do this.

The pistol becomes a perfectly accurate headshotting sniper machine with a clip deeper than you will ever need. The sniper rifle becomes that too, but moreso and silenced and it destroys security cameras and turrets. The assault rifle becomes that but fully automatic and it spits 20mm HE ammo for shits. The combat shotgun reduces all problems in the game to whipping out the combat shotgun and left clicking on the problem with either the plentiful buckshot or the plentiful sabot ammo until it goes away. And whatever of these you mod to the max, you have the dragon's tooth sword and/or the GEP gun. Y'know, in case you need a lateral option.

I love games that are made to be broken.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I never got past the moat, the bot always destroyed my legs before I could jump across the cardboard boxes and I never realized there was another way across :eng99:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It also helps that it kinda fits that this game is made to be broken. You don't seem too insane at first, but once you've got some augs, mods, and skill ups, you become a loving god of death, which is exactly what they designed you to be.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Willie Tomg posted:

Pretty much any gun but the sawed-off and the crossbow becomes the most lethal weapon in the game if you do this.

The pistol becomes a perfectly accurate headshotting sniper machine with a clip deeper than you will ever need. The sniper rifle becomes that too, but moreso and silenced and it destroys security cameras and turrets. The assault rifle becomes that but fully automatic and it spits 20mm HE ammo for shits. The combat shotgun reduces all problems in the game to whipping out the combat shotgun and left clicking on the problem with either the plentiful buckshot or the plentiful sabot ammo until it goes away. And whatever of these you mod to the max, you have the dragon's tooth sword and/or the GEP gun. Y'know, in case you need a lateral option.

I love games that are made to be broken.

Yeah, but the pistol only took up one square, soooooooo....

I loved piling on the augments for fast running and arm strength and then blazing through levels with the Dragon's Tooth. For everything else there was the GEP gun.

Okay, let's face it. I loved all the weapons and mods and augs and skills.

Even swimming! This game :allears:

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 9, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Farecoal posted:

I never got past the moat, the bot always destroyed my legs before I could jump across the cardboard boxes and I never realized there was another way across :eng99:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

I almost prefer the Malkavian mod edits to the dialogue.

I thought you were a GEP gun.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"Why contain it? ........it's cool...."

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Yeah, but the pistol only took up one square, soooooooo....

Plus it has a lot more ammo lying around than anything else, at least till the event. On one run I successfully killed every single enemy on every level, primarily using the scoped pistol.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Willie Tomg posted:

spits 20mm HE ammo for shits.

Finding an elevated perch and turning any outdoor map into some kind of hybrid of Scorched Earth and Space Invaders is one of the strange little joys I found in the game. Can you command your artillery to arc correctly and take out the bad guys before they get to you? Shame that the 20mm ammo is rare.

Xander77 posted:

Walton Simons and Page being right there in the training area was something I forgot entirely. (Opinions from the thread - the game would work better without the introduction conversation between Page and Simons. Yay or nay?)

Removing the introduction wouldn't hurt the game at all, but having it there does offer the player a little world context and can help connect later sights in the game together: Seeing Simons in the UNATCO prison block and coming across that giant hand statue again during actual play is pretty cool. Also in the same location as the hand if you're really careful you can eavesdrop on a conversation involving Bob Page which wouldn't have much meaning without the intro unless you're reading every data cube, e-mail, article, and book up until then to know he's a thing. I don't think the player first directly hears from Page until Paris?

Another thing about this game which I think needs to come back is the separate isolated tutorial. Let's stop integrating tutorials/training right into the main campaigns and just set them off to the side for those who want to use them. Brazenly break the 3rd wall, don't use plot characters (or do, whatever), just separate the mechanics learning from the plot. No one will think less of the studios for doing it.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Fabulousity posted:

Removing the introduction wouldn't hurt the game at all, but having it there does offer the player a little world context and can help connect later sights in the game together

I think the introduction with Walton Simons and Page is kind of a crucial hook - it gives you a quick synopsis of this world they're dropping you into and provides a framework for all the things you can discover.

Otherwise you're just in an open world stopping a terrorist attack for the first bit of the game, with a few enemy dialogue hints that everything might not be as it seems if you sneak up on them. It might seem slightly more mysterious that way, but probably also more bland - and Deus Ex is all about being over the top in my opinion. It combines a lot of conspiracies in a very flamboyant way.

Obviously the game needs a tutorial for new players, but I've always thought that was the part that didn't fit with the rest of the game. It has a bit of character/story flavor, but a much different tenor.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dreadwroth posted:

Ahahaha that's awesome, I do stupid stuff like use an EMP grenade on a friendly robot because I was getting really paranoid. Would you recommend the Biomod for a newb?
I absolutely would. It fixes a number of annoying bugs, includes a number of features that fit into the original perfectly (I believe they were based on a discussion with a developer about things that were cut from the game due to lack of time / space) and generally doesn't include anything that would appear out of place (with the possible exception of mantling mechanics).

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

Another thing about this game which I think needs to come back is the separate isolated tutorial. Let's stop integrating tutorials/training right into the main campaigns and just set them off to the side for those who want to use them. Brazenly break the 3rd wall, don't use plot characters (or do, whatever), just separate the mechanics learning from the plot. No one will think less of the studios for doing it.

I had honestly forgotten that this game had a tutorial, having played it so many times Liberty Island just stuck in my head as the tutorial mission. Luckily, I find that most games that have an integrated tutorial aren't really interesting enough to play through more than once. Man, remember when games weren't so bland and boring?

srb
Jul 24, 2007
One thing I've never understood about Deus Ex is the fact that apparently a lot of players dislike the Liberty Island mission. When I played the demo way back then on my lovely Pentium II I was amazed with how large the level was and how much stuff there was to find and do.

I really want more games that offer the freedom that Deus Ex has and takes something like all these crazy conspiracy theories and does something fun with it.

And speaking of breaking the game, are you going to use the skill point refund trick in this LP?

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Xander77 posted:

I absolutely would. It fixes a number of annoying bugs, includes a number of features that fit into the original perfectly (I believe they were based on a discussion with a developer about things that were cut from the game due to lack of time / space) and generally doesn't include anything that would appear out of place (with the possible exception of mantling mechanics).

Honestly, I think Biomod changes the game a bit too much to use it for a first playthrough. I'd just go with Shifter (which is what Biomod's based on, AFAIK) instead.

I'd also like to post the absolute best piece of video game music I've ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBPK_oXeJgA
(fun fact: Alexander Brandon, the guy who made the soundtrack for this game, also did the soundtrack for Unreal and a bunch of other classic games)

Oh, yeah, also: definitely gonna be following this LP. I played the poo poo out of this game and yet I'm still expecting to learn something new :v: Hell, it's already making me want to reinstall the game and play through it again.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

M.Ciaster posted:

Honestly, I think Biomod changes the game a bit too much to use it for a first playthrough. I'd just go with Shifter (which is what Biomod's based on, AFAIK) instead.

Err? Shifter has more changes in it than Biomod, IIRC. And some of them are very obviously "mod ideas" that don't fit seamlessly with Deus Ex gameplay.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

M.Ciaster posted:

I'd also like to post the absolute best piece of video game music I've ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBPK_oXeJgA
(fun fact: Alexander Brandon, the guy who made the soundtrack for this game, also did the soundtrack for Unreal and a bunch of other classic games)

That is not The Synapse/Hong Kong streets. :colbert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHQZNNajxOk&hd=1

(But yeah, the UNATCO track is pretty good.)

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Err? Shifter has more changes in it than Biomod, IIRC. And some of them are very obviously "mod ideas" that don't fit seamlessly with Deus Ex gameplay.

I dunno, I always felt like Shifter provided a more 'vanilla' experience. Maybe it's just me?

Cooked Auto posted:

(But yeah, the UNATCO track is pretty good.)

I still prefer UNATCO, personally, but this one's solid as hell too. DX has great music in general!

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Xander77 posted:

The other problem with Shifter is the additional skill points that it awards you during play. In the base game, you never get any sort of reward for taking down enemies apart from whatever they might be holding. Then Shifter made it so that you get experience points based on how you take guys down, with extra points being granted for knocking dudes out or shooting them in the head.

While that doesn't sound like much, the sheer number of additional exp. points that this ends up giving you means that you can level almost all of JC's skills to their maximum by the end of the game. You essentially lose out on the need to specialize yourself toward a certain "build" at any point in the game, which means JC will become universally good at all the things rather than just a few of them.

Not that any of this has ever stopped me from using it though. All of the unique weapons that it adds in really spice up exploration of the game's environments, just as the changes to the rate at which JC's aim steadies make the early game that much more bearable. It's really a must after you complete at least one vanilla run of the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Not that any of this has ever stopped me from using it though. All of the unique weapons that it adds in really spice up exploration of the game's environments, just as the changes to the rate at which JC's aim steadies make the early game that much more bearable. It's really a must after you complete at least one vanilla run of the game.
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Biomod retains the unique weapons but eliminates the skill point rewards for killing people - that's the sort of rather smart decision I appreciate about it.

M.Ciaster posted:

I still prefer UNATCO, personally, but this one's solid as hell too. DX has great music in general!
That's where DE:HR fails, IMO. It's got a decent orchestral score, but nothing particularly memorable of hummable. Yahtzee isn't going to compose a little thing to sing with friends based on Icarus or whatever.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Xander77 posted:

That's where DE:HR fails, IMO. It's got a decent orchestral score, but nothing particularly memorable of hummable. Yahtzee isn't going to compose a little thing to sing with friends based on Icarus or whatever.

Sure it's not particularly hummable maybe but I still consider it some amazingly great ambient music that manages to feel very cyberpunk and bleak without being overly techno or electric, wouldn't call it a pure orchestral score though.
If anything the orchestral rendition of Icarus is pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hesg2_q-B-Q

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So as a newb DX player using Biomod, I'm not really noticing the loss of xp from kills since I try to knock everyone out due to having crap pistol skills.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
Edit: We'll get to this later

Amebx fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 9, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

srb posted:

One thing I've never understood about Deus Ex is the fact that apparently a lot of players dislike the Liberty Island mission. When I played the demo way back then on my lovely Pentium II I was amazed with how large the level was and how much stuff there was to find and do.

"The problem" with liberty island is that the game was sold on cool cyborgy things to do which you do not do in the first level, and that narratively you're the best of the best secret agent whose development cost more than the GDP of a developing nation and you get An Clip of ammo for one (1) weapon, even if one of them is technically a rocket launcher. Plus whatever you're doing tends to be very very slow unless you have a lot of mods or a lot of skill points invested in the relevant areas. HR got out in front of this addressing it head on both fronts, by making you a rich dude's go-fer who of course does not carry a military arsenal as a matter of course, and post-cyborgification allowing you if nothing else to use fancy rear end wrist blades and kung fu to merk dudes in ways that would make Jason Bourne flinch. Deus Ex's frontloaded difficulty and backloaded features make a tough sell to someone who isn't really into the aesthetic.

Of course what the game is trying to do is say "Hey. Hey friend. Those cool things you're gonna get? Here's an entire level where like it or not you're gonna learn that you don't actually NEED any of them to progress through the game. Got it? Okay, cool, now enjoy your assault rifle and laser sights and super speedy legs. Have (even more) fun!"

Its kind of like X-Com in that respect, and I really think the cult following the two have garnered whether in spite or because of their inverse difficulty curves isn't a coincidence.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, Deus Ex can be a bit rough in the beginning because you have to get used to it, but Liberty Island is a really good level. I replayed it on PC not too long ago and I managed to non-lethally ghost the whole level and aside from the section where you have to free Gunther it was really fun. Hong Kong is when the game really hits its stride though.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Xander77 posted:

HR is a riff on some of the slicker contemporary spy movies in an ouevre of either total squalor or refined Victorian elegance; Bourne, Bond (whose reboot character mirrors HR's politics through being explicitly a working class orphan alternately aping or outright making fun of the aristocratic aloofness of his superiors with a scene where moneypenny literally says this to the audience in case they don't catch it with their eyes and ears in the rest of the loving movie), etc. Its score reflects that as being Generically Orchestral in the actiony bits, and at its strongest when it takes a backseat in the ambience.

DX is a mongrel bastard child of William Gibson and Neal Stephenson and every Alex Jones broadcast* having sweet lovebabies. The child exists but nobody knows who the father is or the mother for that matter. It grows up alone listening to Nine Inch Nails, gets a tattoo of Philip K. Dick on its bicep, leaves home, changes his name to 80's Era John Carpenter and goes on a secret spy mission to capture a terrorist leader hiding in the Statue of Liberty. Barring absolute incompetence, a composer would have to get up really early in the morning to have the music backing that beautiful mishmash have less character than the soundtrack in HR. DX1 is its own animal. Both soundtracks are really effective for what they're trying to do, though.

tldr: good point, i agree

*Having lived in Austin for two years I find the Alex Jones/DX/Ion Storm Austin connection really interesting. Alex Jones and nutty conspiracy poo poo runs deep in this town whose politics trends toward counterlogical persecution complexes as a response to being surrounded by a whole lot of Texas in every direction. There's no way in hell Jones wasn't a major impact on the game's story, you're about as likely to find a copy of the Infowars broadsheet as you are a copy of the local alt-weekly, and the game shares his everything-and-the-kitchen-sink approach to interconnected conspiracy theories.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 10, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Human Revolution's soundtrack is a response to the minimalist scores you hear in modern action movies, particularly Hans Zimmer's recent work with Christopher Nolan and on the Pirates of the Caribbean films. Notably, Zimmer was least involved in scoring the first Pirates of the Caribbean with the theme everyone remembers, and that theme is much less emphasized in the sequels. Personally, I can see that these modern soundtracks have their strengths, such as emphasizing the mood without drawing attention to themselves, but I prefer music with a more memorable character, something you can listen to on its own merits without a film to prop it up.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Did Zimmer do the awesome "Hoist the Colors"? Because that is my favorite movie song ever.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

HR is a riff on some of the slicker contemporary spy movies in an ouevre of either total squalor or refined Victorian elegance; Bourne, Bond (whose reboot character mirrors HR's politics through being explicitly a working class orphan alternately aping or outright making fun of the aristocratic aloofness of his superiors with a scene where moneypenny literally says this to the audience in case they don't catch it with their eyes and ears in the rest of the loving movie), etc. Its score reflects that as being Generically Orchestral in the actiony bits, and at its strongest when it takes a backseat in the ambience.

DX is a mongrel bastard child of William Gibson and Neal Stephenson and every Alex Jones broadcast* having sweet lovebabies. The child exists but nobody knows who the father is or the mother for that matter. It grows up alone listening to Nine Inch Nails, gets a tattoo of Philip K. Dick on its bicep, leaves home, changes his name to 80's Era John Carpenter and goes on a secret spy mission to capture a terrorist leader hiding in the Statue of Liberty. Barring absolute incompetence, a composer would have to get up really early in the morning to have the music backing that beautiful mishmash have less character than the soundtrack in HR. DX1 is its own animal. Both soundtracks are really effective for what they're trying to do, though.

tldr: good point, i agree

*Having lived in Austin for two years I find the Alex Jones/DX/Ion Storm Austin connection really interesting. Alex Jones and nutty conspiracy poo poo runs deep in this town whose politics trends toward counterlogical persecution complexes as a response to being surrounded by a whole lot of Texas in every direction. There's no way in hell Jones wasn't a major impact on the game's story, you're about as likely to find a copy of the Infowars broadsheet as you are a copy of the local alt-weekly, and the game shares his everything-and-the-kitchen-sink approach to interconnected conspiracy theories.

For a second I thought I had entered CD and was reading a SuperMechaGodzilla post. :v:

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Personally, I can see that these modern soundtracks have their strengths, such as emphasizing the mood without drawing attention to themselves, but I prefer music with a more memorable character, something you can listen to on its own merits without a film to prop it up.

Yeah I find this a minor issue these days with the soundtracks coming off as very samey to such an extent that they meld together into one amorphous blob and a lot of the flavour from the old days have disappeared in the urge to sound as movie like as possible. As much as I love Jeremy Soule his stuff has a tendency to meld together, especially his later stuff for Skyrim at least.
The TLoU soundtrack was an amazing fresh new breeze in it's simplicity and yet being so distinctive and does work outside of the game even if it does sound depressing as all hell.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The AAA games do tend to play it a bit safe with the music, which is not too surprising. Go a little bit off the beaten track, though, and you run into things like Bastion.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

For a second I thought I had entered CD and was reading a SuperMechaGodzilla post. :v:

Yeah I find this a minor issue these days with the soundtracks coming off as very samey to such an extent that they meld together into one amorphous blob and a lot of the flavour from the old days have disappeared in the urge to sound as movie like as possible. As much as I love Jeremy Soule his stuff has a tendency to meld together, especially his later stuff for Skyrim at least.
The TLoU soundtrack was an amazing fresh new breeze in it's simplicity and yet being so distinctive and does work outside of the game even if it does sound depressing as all hell.

Naughty Dog in general are good with having distinct music. To the point that I will genuinely mad if the new Uncharted doesn't play Nate's leitmotif on the title screen, it's one of the only game themes in modern times that I can hum from memory at the drop of a hat. . And HR did at least have the nod of the original theme music playing at the end.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Willie Tomg posted:

"The problem" with liberty island is that the game was sold on cool cyborgy things to do which you do not do in the first level, and that narratively you're the best of the best secret agent whose development cost more than the GDP of a developing nation and you get An Clip of ammo for one (1) weapon, even if one of them is technically a rocket launcher.

You're a highly trained, cybernetically enhanced superman. You can't climb over waist-high barriers or aim a pistol. That's what really put me off. I expect to have to earn my super-powers as I play, but it always pisses me off when characters who are supposed to be really tough and fit can't do things that I can do in real life, and JC's bizarre lack of skill with firearms is just absurd. What do they teach in spy school anyway?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

You're a highly trained, cybernetically enhanced superman. You can't climb over waist-high barriers or aim a pistol. That's what really put me off. I expect to have to earn my super-powers as I play, but it always pisses me off when characters who are supposed to be really tough and fit can't do things that I can do in real life, and JC's bizarre lack of skill with firearms is just absurd. What do they teach in spy school anyway?

Post-modern philosophy, I think. That, and Trenchcoats 402.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Tiggum posted:

To be fair, he's an amazing shot capable of hitting with pin point accuracy from any range with a pistol. It's just that early on he has to spend a lot of time aiming to take that shot.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Tiggum posted:

To be fair, JC Denton is literally just off the boat, has yet to begin his first day on the job, and is full of technologically advanced but highly untested machines that have so far been implanted in a number of people I can count with one hand. The reason JC doesn't start with real superpowers is because most of those superpowers are still in the beta stage of development. He was also in training for only a single year; despite the applied tech in his veins, he is not a part of the special forces but is simply an "agent" in UNATCO operations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Also his augmentation is night-and-day different than, say, Jenson's in HR. The latter got mechanical bits that replaced his meatbag anatomy with powerful servos and alloys (along with other bits and bobs that haven't been turned on yet). JC got tiny robots in his blood that modify his body and augment his natural muscles, plus as mentioned it hasn't been fully kitted out yet with release-grade modifications. He just has the basic framework, which essentially at this point just makes him a human flashlight with a bonephone and a trenchcoat.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

OAquinas posted:

Also his augmentation is night-and-day different than, say, Jenson's in HR. The latter got mechanical bits that replaced his meatbag anatomy with powerful servos and alloys (along with other bits and bobs that haven't been turned on yet). JC got tiny robots in his blood that modify his body and augment his natural muscles, plus as mentioned it hasn't been fully kitted out yet with release-grade modifications. He just has the basic framework, which essentially at this point just makes him a human flashlight with a bonephone and a trenchcoat.

So basically, while Jenson was created to be a powerhouse off the bat, JC is meant to be modular, thus increasing his overall capabilities in time.

Also, your username is absurdly appropriate for this thread.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

bman in 2288 posted:

So basically, while Jenson was created to be a powerhouse off the bat, JC is meant to be modular, thus increasing his overall capabilities in time.

Basically, yeah. Jensen was sort of 'locked in' when he got augmented, as he was already at the top of his game physically speaking; JC is brand new, a blank slate, an empty piece of paper that is ready to be written on. Pure potential, essentially.

One thing to remember about Jensen is that he had plenty of real-world, practical experience as a police officer and SWAT team member prior to being sent through Sarif's Mean Bean Machine. JC had a year of training, tops, before being told "go free the statue of liberty from terrorists in STALKER larp gear." It very much shows the difference between the two.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Slimnoid posted:

Basically, yeah. Jensen was sort of 'locked in' when he got augmented, as he was already at the top of his game physically speaking; JC is brand new, a blank slate, an empty piece of paper that is ready to be written on. Pure potential, essentially.

One thing to remember about Jensen is that he had plenty of real-world, practical experience as a police officer and SWAT team member prior to being sent through Sarif's Mean Bean Machine. JC had a year of training, tops, before being told "go free the statue of liberty from terrorists in STALKER larp gear." It very much shows the difference between the two.

Thematically, our DX protagonist starts out under trained, under equipped and under supported because the world is a flaming pile of garbage and the guys backing him are "bootstraps libertarian" nut jobs. They want to see you sink or swim purely because they want to know if they have made a Randian Superman or a parasite. Cyber-sweat of your nano-brow, and all that.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

M.Ciaster posted:

Alex often gets credit for doing all the music for DX, when in fact he only did most of it, and partnered with Dan Gardopee and Michiel van den Bos, the latter of which did the UNATCO theme. The three worked together on the soundtrack for the first Unreal game.

Cooked Auto posted:

Maybe you'll like Alex's updated remix of that track, which incorporates a bunch of other sounds from the game. "Siren" is a handle he uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOddfPsN_70

There's also the "Sonic Augmentation" project Alex collaborated on with OCRemix. Here's the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy3dr13cSgY

J.theYellow fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I can't recommend enough the sonic augmentations collection. Really nice stuff.

• Locked thread