Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hey, neat. The original DX is one of those games that I've bought like 4 times (including the PS2 port...), and love the idea of... but the act of actually playing is a bit too clunky and punishing for me to fully enjoy, so an LP by someone passionate and skilled like Bobbin is great.

And based on the post-gameplay lecture segment... I presume we're incorporating elements revealed outside this game? At least from Human Revolution, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

fixelbrumpf posted:

Oh hey, I liked Deus Ex quite a lot when it came out, but I felt it did have some issues, such as the fact that it loved to bug out on me after beating it once for some weird reason, or the fact that some of the locations felt more like set pieces rather than parts of a game world due to the limitations of the engine. Still, it's really interesting that it seems to become clear only in retrospect how good the game really was. I remember it catching a bit of flak for looking fairly bland even when it came out.

People are probably going to kill me for this but - has anyone ever played the PS2 version? I hear there were quite a number of changes made to it, starting from the interface to the level layout. I'd really like a decent video showing off the differences.

Also, looking forward to your future "lectures", now where's my trusty tinfoil hat?

I believe you mean System Shock 2, which also used the "Dark Engine". System Shock 1 used a souped-up version of the Ultima Underworld engine.

As I noted, one of the times I purchased DX, it was the PS2 port. Having played the early segments of it and the PC version, the main difference is that the PS2 seemingly couldn't render the full areas in the same way as the PC. Liberty Island, for instances, is about 9 discrete 'zones' that all have loading screens between them. (Like 5 for the island and 3-4 for the statue.) I believe the actual layout is the same, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

For a second I thought I had entered CD and was reading a SuperMechaGodzilla post. :v:

Yeah I find this a minor issue these days with the soundtracks coming off as very samey to such an extent that they meld together into one amorphous blob and a lot of the flavour from the old days have disappeared in the urge to sound as movie like as possible. As much as I love Jeremy Soule his stuff has a tendency to meld together, especially his later stuff for Skyrim at least.
The TLoU soundtrack was an amazing fresh new breeze in it's simplicity and yet being so distinctive and does work outside of the game even if it does sound depressing as all hell.

Naughty Dog in general are good with having distinct music. To the point that I will genuinely mad if the new Uncharted doesn't play Nate's leitmotif on the title screen, it's one of the only game themes in modern times that I can hum from memory at the drop of a hat. . And HR did at least have the nod of the original theme music playing at the end.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Xander77 posted:

"Their respective first levels" were Liberty Island, which lets you loose to play as you will, and Tarsis Academy, which is very much a mandatory tutorial zone. Hence the bit about "exemplifying the relative design philosophies".

As I recall, IW's tutorial segment is actually very similar to HR's, with the whole corporate lab under attack shtick. Plus it's also important to remember that the IW and DX came out during the period where thick, comprehensive manuals were being done away with. When the original came out, you could be reasonably sure that PC gamers would read the book that came in the case. Xbox gamers when IW came out would be getting a much a slimmer booklet and it wasn't a given they'd read it. Tutorials aren't done to frustrate players who've played the game 20 times, they're there because new players need some way of receiving the basic information needed to play the game and to contextualise the mechanics.

Invisible War is NOT a perfect game, but I think it suffers a lot in reputation for trying to be accessible.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
God I hate that idea. It's basically trying to have the cake and eat it, re: voice acting. You have voiced dialogue, but there's no acting so it can be 'interpreted', the same way you could read your own inflection and stuff into text dialogue. Except hearing it spoken inherently gives it tone, best case scenario you'll get is the character sounds bored or lacks personality. I'd rather just have the text or have the character actually have a personality and be allowed to act.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SWMadness posted:

Similar to how Samus' characterization developed despite having virtually zero voiced lines in the Metroid games (pre-Other M, I am NOT stepping into that shitstorm), a lot of gamers inform characteristics of these protagonists based on the fact that they ARE silent while they go about their work, and what that work entails.

Especially in the case of Issac Clarke (for the first Dead Space, at least) and Gordon Freeman, audiences really like everyman fix-it characters that get poo poo done.

It works for Isaac and Samus because they're almost entirely alone (and I would've loved if they'd let, say, Jennifer Hale voice Samus in Corruption). Not so much for Freeman in HL2 when he keeps being spoken to by people and they act like he's replying. It feels like that joke from Portal 2 where you hit Space to 'talk', except Valve aren't in on it. Basically, silent protagonist works one of three ways:

1. They're not actually silent. You could argue this is what Freeman is, but this is tricky to pull off outside of something like Baldur's Gate or KOTOR, where you pick the dialogue and the other characters respond. Otherwise you're playing as Chewbacca and other characters have to repeat what you 'said'.

2.They are silent, but that's because there's no one to talk to. Metroid's a good example. Who would Samus speak to? She's a freelancer working alone, so unless you give her a wisecracking computer to chat to (and people hated when they DID do that in Metroid 4) she's going to be quiet.

3. You never address it and basically have the character be a prop in an ensemble. Basically, the other characters are important and do all the talking, and barely acknowledge you're there. Again, arguably like in HL, except Freeman is treated as VERY important, so you're constantly reminded he's mute.

I always find it weird when someone uses Half-Life as an example of this idea done well, when Bioshock's hero is almost identically treated and gently caress if I could tell you anything about his personality. Compare to Infinite, where Booker is able to have some agency, or at least the illusion of it, in the story.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Am I missing something here because Jennifer Hale did voice Samus in all three Prime games. :raise:

Well, yes, technically, but only in as much as she grunted and moaned into a mic for damage sounds. I meant actual dialogue. Not that Corruption had a great script, but there was at least a semblance of competence.

• Locked thread