Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Fun (?) fact: I played through this level SO MANY TIMES that when I actually visited Liberty Island in real life I had an eerie feeling of Deja Vu as I was stepping off the boat onto the dock :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

When Bobbin said "They'd probably learn more about humans by interacting with them through internet message boards" I imagined a little gray alien, browsing SA, watching LPs, going ":stare: Oh poo poo he's onto us :stare:".

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Re: global warming, have this site.

http://www.heywhatsthat.com/layers.html

It's good to visualize exactly how hosed your local area is regarding sea level rise.

As an aside, I live near Venice and have a couple friends who actually live in Venice. To understand how common flooding is, the city only gives warnings if the tide is expected to be more than 150 cm above mean sea level. Lots of places in the city are way lower than that (Saint Mark's Square, for instance, is at 80 cm), and people are expected to suck it up and not complain about getting their homes and business flooded twice a day. They treat it as a minor inconvenience.

(Ought to be mentioned that flooding in Venice is not due to global warming but due to the city slowly sinking. Global warming only plays a very minor role in the whole thing.)

Mikl fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 7, 2014

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Regarding Simons, there's a bit of alternate dialogue he has. If somehow you manage to miss him talking about his augs at UNATCO, instead of saying "As you may recall from our chat" etc., he says "Because as I told you in Paris, this time you'll face someone with your own abilities" (or something close to that).

Also I had no idea you could leave him behind and run off like you did :lol:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Everyone probably already knows this, but in case Paul died back in NY it's Savage that gives the whole "you decide who to trust" spiel.

As a wee young lad I didn't put any real thought into the endings :shobon: but thinking over them now, I think that of the three the least bad is the Helios one.

Every ending basically boils down to "someone powerful rules the world from high on up, gently caress you low-born rabble", but at the very least Helios, as he says, has no personal ambition and actual power to enforce his decisions, so he's sure to make the correct decisions to benefit humanity.

Of course there's the whole zeroth-law dilemma in that what is right for humanity might not be right for single persons or even entire populations, and I find the idea of a government that doesn't ever take human emotions into account somewhat unsettling.

As I said, the three endings are all bad, but Helios' the least bad one.

As an aside, I found it interesting how they solved the multiple-endings problem in the sequel: they basically picked "all of the above" from the list, in that JC merged with Helios, his merging destabilized Area 51 and caused it to blow up leading to a dark age, and the Illuminati took advantage of the chaos to take over the world once again. Sadly, it's one of the few things interesting about the sequel.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

I personally wouldn't mind a computer ruling the Earth as long as I was firm in knowledge that no man could possibly influence its neutrality.

Human politicians are too often prone to whims and abuses of power. It has actually reduced my sister and made her withdraw from politics entirely, so there's that.

Counterpoint: there must be some sort of control, and decisions cannot be purely logical but must be influenced by feelings and emotions.

To make an extreme example: eugenics. Should Helios decide to institute mandatory genetic sequencing for everybody, and then mandatory sterilization for everyone whose children could have genetic diseases, by pure logic he would be perfectly right in that it would benefit humanity in the long run. But gently caress that, eugenics is a horrible thing that should never be seriously considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks for an amazing LP! I'd played this game but had no idea it had just SO MANY things hidden in nooks and crannies, and the corners were very interesting.

• Locked thread