Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
All the info presented in the post gameplay part came from the DX Bible, as can be found here. It's part of the design doc and some interviews with the original designers. The diagram of the moonbase is from DX:HR, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Huh, never knew about the free skill trick. Nice video.

The reason you one-shot a couple of NSF guys with the prod is you hit a sweet spot, for the enemies in this game it's either the back of the neck or the small of the back. Any melee attack at either of those points is an instant knockdown, which is nice.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Would that be the one to get into the VersaLife office in Hong Kong? I don't know if it breaks the game, but you can certainly break the sequence by typing that one in early.

Yes, that kinda fucks up the flags. You can still finish everything, but Tong's dialogue won't make a lot of sense.
Deus Ex is actually kinda amazing in that you can run through this game in like 40+ hours, see everything, and you probably won't encounter any major bugs. But if you look for them, well.. let's say you can find more than a few glitches, bugs and shortcuts in this game.

If you're interested, I can make some videos on breaking Deus Ex for this thread, appendix-style. I can show you how to basically get to Hell's Kitchen (mission 3) in about 5 minutes, for instance. Or showing the best way to use a pack of cigarettes.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

KillHour posted:

The best way to use a pack of cigarettes is to kill yourself after saving Paul to skip the escape sequence, and I won't have anyone say otherwise. :colbert:

:ssh: don't ruin all the fun!

Strabo posted:

I thought that the skill point trick got patched out at some point. Guess not.

Actually, I read that the skill point trick was actually accidentally patched in for the final patch.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Everything is viable in Deus Ex, skills and augs are completely optional and only serve to make the game easier. You can finish the game without skills, augs or items.

Running through the game using a combat build is actually pretty easy compared to the vanilla 'stealthy hacker/sniper' build most people go for. Blasting everyone in the face is a legitimate tactic.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

How's this game on the cut content side of things? The interrogation scene, which it seemed like you weren't supposed to see, just made me wonder if there was some sort of alternative route planned you could do while in the headquarters that would centre on you being part of it.

Yeah, initially there was an option to join the NSF and fight against UNATCO early on or something. Lots of cut and mashed together content in the latter part of the game (after Hong Kong). The Deus Ex Bible contains a lot of info on this, but I'm sure Bobbin will talk about it when he gets there, in about half a year or so at this pace ;)

Great LP Bobbin.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

The only self imposed challenge I've heard about in Dues Ex that really interested me was the sidearm only challenge. Basically anytime you get into the helicopter you have to drop everything except your hand gun. It really changes how you play because instead of skipping by doors and locks you're going out of your way to look for something to use your last lock pick on before moving on.

Biomod or shifter has a challenge setting called on-site procurement which enforces this. Well, it also drops your pistol but that makes it even more fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Satan is actually a pretty swell guy; without him we would be dumb as poo poo, just kinda walking around and eating stuff of the floor like animals. Also, in the period that God killed millions, Satan only murdered 10 people. Which he did as part of a bet with, you know it, God.

What I'm saying is that Denver Airport has the right idea with demonic horses instead of angelic cherubs.

• Locked thread