Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Works for humans too. I learned how to understand English (as a second language) from "The Secret of Monkey Island", and how to speak it from "The A-Team".

I imagined your first English interaction going something like this:

:downs:: Nice weather we're having, isn't it?
:hist101:: How appropriate. You fight like a cow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

This is probably wrong, but I wonder if some companies skimp on the translations because they fear they'll attract piracy in other territories by making it more accessible. I disagree with that assessment for various reasons, but I can't shake that feeling that it's something grotesquely mercenary as opposed to simple laziness.

Translation is a really tough thing to do well. The best translations involve a native literate speaker of the target language reading and digesting the original text, and then recreating it in that language. By necessity this involves losing some of the nuance of what you're translating. The worst ones involve either running the whole thing through a dictionary program or throwing the task on someone in the group who "studied X in high school". To write a good translation you need to have a native understanding of the language you're translating to, you need to understand the source text, and you also need to be an excellent writer. Translating a long work is just as hard as writing a book from scratch! It takes time and it costs money, and you have to plan for it. The plague of guys in suits wanting to cut corners is the only mercenary part of the whole thing. As anime producers are starting to realize, a poor translation often encourages piracy (and it certainly doesn't convince people to buy your product).

For the Spanish translation of Deus Ex I'm guessing the team hired a professional translator and a good editor, and then gave them enough time to do the job correctly. But take a look at something like the English translation of FF7. It's an incomprehensible mess, and it arguably takes an already difficult storyline and makes it nearly impossible to understand. The results resemble what you'd get if you asked a native Japanese guy from the office to write an English translation, tossed it over the fence to a native speaker, and then said, "We don't have time to fix this! Ship it!" Yet this was the modus operandi for almost all early 90s game publishers. But it's a lot better than it used to be.

rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but the inclusion of Starbucks in the grid of "secret societies" under Personal Thoughts made me chuckle.

rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011
Whatever the next project is, Bobbin, you're going to have a tough time beating this one. Deus Ex is an amazing game, and you more than did it justice. Thank you!

• Locked thread