Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
That mod looks great- I managed to grab Deus Ex off a steam sale somewhere along the line, but have never gotten around to playing it, in part due to the weirdness of textures on videos that I've seen.

I'll be looking forward to giving it a spin alongside the thread (Which I fully understand contains unmarked spoilers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I'm bad at keeping up with threads, so I only just watched Lecture 2, but Bobbin if you get the chance to watch New Rose Hotel, take it (actually, Don't). It's another book based on Gibson's Sprawl world, and it is basically worse (dumber, more boring, worse acting, less interesting story) in every possible way than Johnny Mnemonic.

Also, Stephenson's book Interface is interesting from a cyberpunk perspective. It's, in some ways, a "Cyberpunk Origin" story. Set in a Today-ish world, a team of neurosurgeons and computer scientists work together to repair the brain of Chicago's mayor after a stroke, because he wants to run for the office of US President. Raises a bunch of interesting moral questions to which I think you might be amenable.

As for other authors doing the Cyberpunk thing, Peter Watts is one of my favorites. Starfish is a great book, as is Maelstrom (the latter raising a LOT of Deus-Ex-ish questions). Behemoth is interesting in its own right, but be warned, though it's extremely interesting, it involves some pretty graphic and intense sexual sadism on the part of one of the characters. (This doesn't come up at all in the first two books, so if you're worried that you'll be squicked, which you will be, just read the first two).

Blindsight (also by Watts) is just weird.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So Bobbin- is there any hope of another Literature Corner coming up any time soon, or do you feel the first one about covered it?

Related, I just reread Neuromancer, and for the life of me I still can't figure out why Wintermute needed Case. Or at least, why he knew he needed Case at the beginning of the whole scheme, given how many things went pear-shaped.

The closest I can figure is that Case was necessary simply because he could meaningfully communicate with Dixie's construct, having known him fairly well before he died. Obviously, Case's unique charisma comes in handy later on when things started to go to poo poo with Riviera, 3Jane, Armitage, Turing, Ashpool and everything else, but all of that was outside Wintermute's initial projections, if he's to be believed.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I think you meant that Toth was incredibly credulous of the stories from the people she interviewed, not credible.

Back on topic: The most interesting thing about this episode was the reactions of the first mole person to having had his living space invaded by terrorists. "Well, if they're helping sick people, I guess it's not so bad, but I sure do wish they hadn't murdered my cat".

The women's reactions seemed to ring more true when speaking of people who had their extremely-insular society invaded by people dealing with problems to which they're not at all privy.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Where did you get your information that sound waves are a part of the electromagnetic spectrum?

Sound is a mechanical wave as compared to an electromagnetic wave, does not travel in a vacuum, and has properties distinctly different from electromagnetic waves (being longitudinal rather than transverse in waveform, and travelling significantly slower in any medium).

(Yes, I'm starting to feel like an rear end in a top hat nitpicking the last two videos since I'm still enjoying them, but it had to be said).

• Locked thread