Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

kalonZombie posted:

"For your training, we will be blowing up actual robots that probably cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce."

Yeah but it cost like billions of dollars to make this one guy so it evens out. :v:

How hard would it be to make one of those robots in real life? It actually looks a bit simpler than some of the functional real life robots I've seen, just a big pair of legs and a gun strapped to the crotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Agent Interrobang posted:

That said, much though I love it, Deus Ex has some of the dorkiest-looking guns in existence. The assault rifle in particular is a spectacularly ugly-looking weapon.

I can't wait till we get the dragon's tooth. It is the silliest god-drat thing and yet it manages to be one of the best weapons in the game. :allears:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Gimbal lock posted:

There are a lot of games that have the protagonist serve as functionally mute, but are there any that have protagonists that are literally afflicted with mutism and that the game's world acknowledges the fact?

Crysis 2, if memory serves "vocal cords" weren't something the nano-suit ever got around to fixing until the third game anyways.

Drakengard is especially funny in this regard because the character in question still got his own dialogue boxes for some reason.

Edit: Something more on topic, how well does the liberty island of DX map to the real life thing? Obviously there wouldn't be a UNATCO HQ or a shrine dedicated to the decapitated head of lady liberty. I'm talking more about the statue's interior, the basic shape of the island and the locations of the ferry docks and so-forth.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 25, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I've either read (Les Mis, The Stranger, The Metamorphosis) or seen (Les Mis as the 90's film and a stage production, King of Hearts, Catch 22) everything I mentioned by name, however, and I recommend them all. As you might guess from their relative weight, nobody does post-war cynicism quite like the French.

You also referenced Salo during the "rich people want anarchy" bit, though I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to watch that one.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 7, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Alright, I killed your boss! :v:

Man the voice acting in this game never gets old.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

AugmentedVision posted:

But that's something that's invariably getting better with time. Corporate responsibility and ethics weren't even on people's radar a few decades ago. Of course there's the question whether or not it will catch up soon enough. But I'm optimistic.

I wish I shared your optimism but I've spent too much time in D&D. :suicide:

Re: augmentations. DX:HR spent a lot of time talking about how augmentations might affect society, and one of the big plot points was how everyone with serious augmentations had to take expensive drug cocktails to keep their immune systems from rejecting them. Is that an actual concern in real life and if so have we found a way around that yet?

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 10, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Wow, I had no idea you could just... walk in to the nanotech lab through the front door. I always figured the versa-life building would be blocked off or something.

Didn't know about that knife fight in the tunnel either. Never bothered with that place in any of my playthroughs until it was time to do the UC.

Fun fact: the destruction of the UC isn't just a pretty light show, it actually does deal explosive damage. You can gib Maggie's body if you stick it in there before punching in the code and it sprays a ridiculous amount of blood all over the place if you do.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's because every laboratory in the world with a microscope powerful enough to directly image viruses is either part of the MJ-12 network or else they're full of enough spies to hush up discoveries of this sort and bury both the information and the microbiologists involved.

Dees believes it, so why wouldn't it be true?

No poo poo, I seriously thought Dees Illustrations was a parody site at first. Because seriously.

Even Koos would think this guy is nuts.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
So the barkeeper tattles on you if you mention Dowd?

Welp. I've always wondered where that thug came from because Greene's never lived through any of my playthroughs.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I'm pretty sure the guy who ran into a door for 2 minutes has a conversation you can overhear if you don't attract his attention.

Also this was always one of my favorite maps; the sheer scale of everything about the wall cloud is really incredible, especially for a game as old as DX.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 14, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
If you go back and talk to the mechanic after blowing up that last weld point he'll be freaking out, running all over the place and telling you to abandon ship. I don't know if anyone else does that, because I've never left anyone else on the wall cloud alive/conscious in my playthroughs.

Also if you try to go back and talk to Dowd after the MJ12 troops show up, you'll find he's disappeared without a trace. It's a minor thing but I thought it was a nice touch.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
If you go back to the crazy cat lady after killing all the greasels she should have some new dialogue.

Also this is around the point in the game where credits become completely useless. I think that guy in the subway and one more dude near the end are the only people/places/things that have anything left to sell.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 28, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Haha, I had no idea you could even skip the catacombs. That would have been useful in my other playthoughs, I always kinda hated this area for how confusing the layout is.

If you kill Chad, does the game ever acknowledge that you did it? I think he still has one minor roll to play later on.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
This was always one of my favorite levels in the game, it's just so big and there's so much to see and do. It feels like an actual city street, not just a collection of boxes and wall textures shaped like buildings.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Prenton posted:

The silo's always seemed weirdly tacked on to me. Is Howard Strong mentioned at all outside it?

No he's not. Strong's a very weird character, both gameplay wise and story wise. You'd probably never even know who he is unless you took the time to talk to that scientist. And yet there's like a million ways you can go about killing him because iirc he never ever moves from that spot. Snipe him, toss a lam at him, shoot a rocket at him, goomba stomp him.

It's also worth mentioning that Strong is, to the best of my knowledge, one of only...two? characters you HAVE to kill/knock out in order to progress because Jock wont spawn at all until you do. It's a little frustrating if you're going for a pacifist run because it means agroing him (if you use a prod, or hit him with a tranq dart out in the open) and he likes to toss lams in-between firing his plasma gun. Even with regen on those things loving hurt.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Man I've been following this LP since it started back in January. Hard to believe it's been almost a year.

• Locked thread